Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

First Impression on Chinese

Posted Jul 8, '12 at 12:42pm

314d1

314d1

3,510 posts

Western meaning a country's culture has deep roots in the Greco-Roman tradition and expressly influenced by Western European culture

Since when does it mean that? Are you saying that Singapore has not been influenced by the west at all?

Just for an example, from what I have heard all laws are written in English, and English is the second language for a majority of the people living there. Does that not show heavy western influence?

South America is contentious because although the Meso American culture is evident, the 500 years of colonialism and a thorough colonial history at that, makes them ambivalent, especially in the case of Brazil.

Since apparently 200 years of colonialism isn't enough? You did not get out until what, 1959? After being founded by the British?

you were annoying again. i was following the topicand you come in the middle posting your pointless posts.
plz. tell me what is so hard to understand about. that you should not post if you got nothing to say.

I had posted to say that this thread is pointless without someone from China. Is that not valid?

say's enoufg. he is just a troll like macfan....

And you, of course, are being totally rational about all this, and not childlike at all?

hmmm dude the only guy that makes no sense is you.
and you make no sense over and over.

I can't understand you.

if you have no knowlets about it don't post about it retard.

Alright, what in hell is a knowlet?

i'm like that on 1 topic on the rest i aint.

According to you? The unbiased source?

you on the other hand are like this in every single topic on the forum and you have no balls to say so neither have you enoufg balls to admit your wrong.

Is that so? And what makes you think I am wrong?

you don't? it's the only freaking thing you do on this forum.

Since I am never sarcastic for sarcasm's sake.

maybe you should make a selfreflextion test and see what a nutjob you are.

Selfrefreflextion? I don't whant to have whatever the hell that is.

Singaporeans can be quite racist towards even our own Chinese brethren, because as a First World Nation playing host to close to a million Chinese workers, we feel a bit ticked off at jobs going off to support them. We also feel a little angered when individual black-sheep come out and slam Singapore, or at least appear completely unfazed about insensitivities. Such as the recent case of one PRC scholar with the bright idea to paint his face black to look Malay, and make fun of Singaporeans. Or the incidents of PRC workers generally making public nuisances of themselves.

Of course, these are generalizations that need to be stamped out. I have a fondness for PRC China, because of ethnic ties; and because of Chinese pride after two centuries of stagnation and being down-trodden. Either we make friends with the Chinese, or we get swept out of this global rat race.

To be fair that is an interesting view from Singapore about China, but isn't this thread pointless without the Chinese view on something?

Posted Jul 9, '12 at 1:48am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,166 posts

Knight

Since when does it mean that? Are you saying that Singapore has not been influenced by the west at all?

Just for an example, from what I have heard all laws are written in English, and English is the second language for a majority of the people living there. Does that not show heavy western influence?

Deep. I don't think you actually know what Singaporean culture is like to make a judgement on it. We do use English laws, and use English for official purposes, but our cultural roots are Chinese, Indian, Malay, etc. We speak Singlish, we pray in Buddhist/Hindu/Muslim temples, the Chinese follow Confucianism, our cuisine is most definitely not majorly Western. In so many aspects, is our culture not Greco Roman.

Since apparently 200 years of colonialism isn't enough? You did not get out until what, 1959? After being founded by the British?

Yes, but the British never settled in Singapore as the Spanish and Portuguese did in South America. There were Englishmen of course, but these remain, and have always been near 1% of the total population, and hence, not as significant an impact as you thought. Our British founder for example, split Singapore into a few sectors, based on race, and these sectors developed their own cultures, or clung on to them, hence our culture today is still largely based on such Oriental roots.

To be fair that is an interesting view from Singapore about China, but isn't this thread pointless without the Chinese view on something?

Not really, since I do hear PRC views often.

Reply to First Impression on Chinese

You must be logged in to post a reply!