Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Religion and Grammar!

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 4:18pm

sensanaty

sensanaty

862 posts

I may be generalizing here, but I've noticed not only on this site, but on many other sites (like Facebook, Tumblr etc.) that a lot of religious people, at least on religious posts or threads or images have excruciatingly bad grammar. I know how to read l337 and all that, but on some facebook pictures about liking it for Jesus or whatever, the comments are agonizing to read. Surely I can't be the only one noticing this

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 4:41pm

samy

samy

4,338 posts

In my experience, especially on this site, a lot of theists are younger and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that's why they tend to have poor grammar. Non-religious folks, on the other hand, tend to be older which could contribute to their better grammar.

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 4:41pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

This is what they call confirmation bias. You went out looking for/remembered religious people with bad grammar/spelling and found some. You don't remember all the people you meet who don't stand out.

IF you really want to go down this path, you'd need to do a random sampling of let's say...at least 2000 profiles of religious people on facebook/tumblr and then see how many of those use correct spelling and grammar vs incorrect spelling and grammar.

Going off of previous knowledge though, you may be correct. There is an inverse relationship between education and religion, where the more educated someone is the more likely they are to not be religious. Since more educated people are more likely to use correct spelling and grammar, you could have a point in certain demographics that religious people do, in fact, correlate.

Even so, correlation does not equal causation.

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 4:44pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Found this article in a quick google search, I haven't checked their sources but meh, it has a good explanation.

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 5:35pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

Okay, that's not really fair to some people. My grammar was rather correct even before I became an atheist. If anything, religion has very little to do with it. It's probably age and upbringing that factors into this the most.

-Blade

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 7:39pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Okay, that's not really fair to some people. My grammar was rather correct even before I became an atheist. If anything, religion has very little to do with it. It's probably age and upbringing that factors into this the most.

I have to agree. While I try to at least put some effort into it I tend to think of my grammar as poor. My ability to spell has nothing to do with me being an atheist.

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 12:38am

sensanaty

sensanaty

862 posts

You went out looking for/remembered religious people with bad grammar/spelling and found some.

Actually, a lot of my Über religious friends also have horrible grammar. English I can understand, I haven't learn the language until I was 15. But they even get the simplest words from their Mother tongue, which is written the way it's said wrong. There's literally no rules in the Serbian language, other than Writing it down the same as you say it.

IF you really want to go down this path, you'd need to do a random sampling of let's say...at least 2000 profiles of religious people on facebook/tumblr and then see how many of those use correct spelling and grammar vs incorrect spelling and grammar.

Now I haven't checked 2000, but I've seen about 3 or 4 pictures with around 300-400 comments each. Out of those 400 comments, there's hardly a single comment with proper grammar, or spelling I guess. Yeah, can someone explain the difference between spelling and grammar? Maybe that's what I got mixed up.

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 1:45am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Yeah, can someone explain the difference between spelling and grammar? Maybe that's what I got mixed up.

Spelling is having the right amount and order of letters in each word.

Tihs is a gramtically correct setense whit improperr spelling.

This be a one grammatically incorrect with spelling good.

fasljfljkasl

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 2:04am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,119 posts

Knight

Not even going to try the muddy waters of this thread, but many of the Mega Churches I come from have an extremely high turn-over rate, which results in their congregation being permanently made of new faces below the age of 25, presumably because those getting further in their work life realise that paying tithes of 10% of income ''for God'' was a ridiculous idea both dogmatically and realistically, and hence quit.

Maybe that explains something about linguistics, but I don't know. Up for contention.

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 11:43am

Highfire

Highfire

2,936 posts

a lot of theists are younger and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that's why they tend to have poor grammar.

However some, like macfan1 -- a regular poster I'd imagined should've picked up by now. I'm 15 myself and due to the years I've been on this site I realized (quite quickly) that the best points are made coupled with best presentation (well, usually).

I can't say it takes much to notice that if you want to look good and do well on this site, you're best off with functional English.

which is written the way it's said

The word for that is 'phonetically', for next time you might bring that up ^^

There's literally no rules in the Serbian language, other than Writing it down the same as you say it.

What?
Okay, guess I'm learning that instead of Chinese -- the variations of Mandarin and the tonal accentuation (or what is it called?) is far more difficult ahaha :D

But yes, I do find it bad, sensanaty, that a lot of people don't have firm spelling on even the simplest of words in the language they grew up with. I think the only reason(s) I've got my spellings down is because I lurked around Armor Games' forums at the age of 9, and joined when I was 12. Credit is also given to video games -- I remember reading subtitles from the age of 6 (Age of Empires II, in particular) and seeing how it all worked out. Interesting, to say the least.

Although, I can't see how it correlates much with religion -- not directly, in any case.

I just saw Kasic's comment and he nailed what I wanted to say, so I'm not going to say it ^^

Non-religious folks, on the other hand, tend to be older which could contribute to their better grammar.

There are exceptions -- for both theists and atheists. I'm not entirely sure of what you can call ChillzMaster however he can be quite grandiloquent for the humour that comes with it, but with pretty much perfect grammar and spelling. He has a large vocabulary as well, especially at the age of 16 so, I'd have to say he's the largest 'exception' of the "Young / Theist seems to have poorer grammar / spelling, and Elder / Atheist seems to have better grammar / spelling". Compared to his spelling, that is.

Maybe that explains something about linguistics,

Isn't linguistics about languages?
Nevermind, I just checked and yes it is :D (note to a lot of people: often times you won't need to make a thread with a question unless it's asking for an opinion - think about Googling the thing first :D )
That may contribute to the overall idea that younger people have generally worse communication skills, but I don't know either. I'd say it has some part in it but doesn't possibly represent a majority in theism (not even Christianity itself I'd say).

- H

Reply to Religion and Grammar!

You must be logged in to post a reply!