Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why the people can't unite and become one big nation?

Posted Jul 10, '12 at 5:40pm

Kevin4762

Kevin4762

2,374 posts

It isn't that people are selfish or that they hats eachother. Its that people disagree about the way the world should be run. Democracy? Devine provinance? And who would decide that?

You don't need a government to have a nation or a state.

Let's look at the term nation and states to determine why we can't have a world nation.

Nation (n) - a people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language.

State (n) - the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation.

Nation-State (n) - a political unit consisting of an autonomous state inhabited predominantly by a people sharing a common culture, history, and language.

Using these definitions, we find stateless nations. The term state can also be used to refer to government, however, that is not the term we will be using.

Nation simply refers to a group of people with things in common, but some just use the term to refer to a country to sound superior.

So you see, not all nations are states and vice versa. What are the benefits of a nation-state, or having a sovereign autonomous state? Well, the group of people with things in common would be able not face possible oppression. Kurdistan has faced oppression from Iraq and Turkey, so the Kurds want to have a nation-state. They are a stateless nation, such as the Palestinians. Another reason is the hope of a governing body the way they want. Even though Turks and Arabs are both Sunni Muslims, one has a monarchy while the other has a democracy. Both are fine with these forms of government, but if you were to place Turks in a monarchical form of government, then you would have disgruntled Turks. Another reason is a difference in language or religion. It is impossible for Yugoslavia to contain all these countries with different languages and religions to govern because of these barriers.

So to answer the question, the reason is because of individuality of nations. Throughout history, empires and unions have fallen because of the barriers posed by differences in groups of people. Discrimination, oppression, and genocide are all great examples of events that lead to countries splitting.

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 3:53pm

zakyman

zakyman

1,588 posts

If 314d1 didn't get banned for bashful comments yet, I wonder what Zega did to get banned...

He probably paid off the mods...it's the only income they get from this site.

Well, we cannot all unite as one giant country because people tend to focus on what divides us, and not what unites us. A utopia would be nice, but sadly it is unattainable in this age.

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 4:13pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

If people are desperate for us to unite, we need a new source of nationalism other than obesity, debt, and the reputation for messing with everybody and anybody.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 11:06pm

ThunderHawk17

ThunderHawk17

4 posts

maybe you should look at it like this:

if i was insane enough to try to unite the planet, how would i set up the government?

I would try for the US government style (forgot official term)
besides, its not really the people themselves, but how you control them that matters.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 11:23pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,319 posts

Well with out one country taking over its practically impossible. People will argue about the tiniest things. Now world peace might be possible but I doubt that one person would control the entire planet. Which brings up something in future movies like startreck. You see one group in change and not multiple people from different countries. So maybe if we want to be one nation we need an alien invasion. Then we all put aside our diffirenceses and join together.... At least that's what happened in independence day.
Anyways, why can't this happen? Because. Because we are all incredibly stupid and we have to keep killing each other to act like it proves something. That's why we can't join together.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 11:33pm

AKhotline

AKhotline

9 posts

It wouldn't be any better if we all united. The world unbalanced, absolute power would destroy us all. Why do you think we have three branches in our government. So it would be balanced and one wouldn't too power. US, Russia and other countries keep this balance. Also people have their would opinions. If you think about it were sort of are united. People rely on each other in some ways like, Trading/marketing and religion. We have corn, rice, oil and other trading products. The world would be in a crisis if we stopped trading. countries rely on other countries. this could go on all day but were unite. We might not see it but its happening.

Posted Jul 23, '12 at 11:07am

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

oh great supernationalists, my favorite would have to be Vladimir Makarov

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBNre6S8P_IGp42e5cpWAjiEfMeoUdP7o_Nse9LWwKiZHN28rW

~manly man

Posted Jul 23, '12 at 11:09am

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

oh and the title is a statement like come here to find out why, but then it's a question, now i'm questioning it

~manly man

Posted Jul 23, '12 at 1:36pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,939 posts

Knight

I just thought, it would make no difference. Whether different countries hit themselves or different districts of one supernation, people will still discriminate between each other since such a supernation could only be governed on the lowest, smallest scale.

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 12:31am

bravehawk204

bravehawk204

347 posts

People are just to culturally and philosophically different. Just look at what happened to Yugoslavia, the croatians, serbs, and bosnians couldn't coexist so everyone on earth wont be able to do better.

Reply to Why the people can't unite and become one big nation?

You must be logged in to post a reply!