Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Higgs Boson Found

Posted Jul 11, '12 at 6:21am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

What is Dark matter and Dark energy?

Good question, I'll get back to you when someone figures that out.

What do they do?

Dark Energy is thought to be what's causing the universe to accelerate in it's expansion.
Dark Matter is thought to be what's helping to hold galaxies together and simulated models indicate it's necessary for the formation of galaxies. from my understanding we have been able to indirectly observe it as well through a lensing effect.

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 7:05am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

who is higgs and how she lost it?

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 11:33am

thaboss

thaboss

882 posts

Actually it may not have been the Higgs Boson.

First.

Second.

Third. (This one's a bit technical.)

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 11:36am

thaboss

thaboss

882 posts

Just for thoroughness.

Thaboss is hoping that they did find it, but even if it's not the Higgs, it's still something different than normal.

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 9:03pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

Actually it may not have been the Higgs Boson.

Thanks for the links. By the sound of it even if this isn't the actual Higgs Boson it's still a huge discovery.

who is higgs and how she lost it?

Higgs is named after Peter Higgs, a guy. I will assume this was just a joke.

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 11:09pm

Kirby998

Kirby998

5,236 posts

As I am too lazy to read the three pages of the thread, I will respond to the title of the thread.

We have not actually found THE Higgs Boson, all we know for sure is that we've discovered a boson with the weight of 125 Gev that follows extremely close to what a Standard Model Higgs Boson is thought to be like. Although we're at a 5 sigma standard assurance we still have a lot of research to determine whether this is the Higgs or simply a new boson particle not predicted by the standard model of particle physics. I didn't get this info from some silly site that thinks it knows what its doing, I did my Junior Project on this scenario last year and what it would mean should we find something like the Higgs.

The thing is, there is another theory known as the 'mass effect' that also fits within the SM and can explain far more things about mass and the interactions between different particles than the Higgs theory can. In a nutshell, the mass effect is thought to be an explanation of mass depending on how much space and time a particle bends as it travels through the universe. There are closed and open volumes that dictate how much mass a subatomic particle has depending on the 'pressure' or the bend of space and time around it. For instance, photons have no mass because they have an open volume and do not bend space and time, this means that a photon MUST move at the speed of light because there is no force acting against it to slow it down (see mass effect) something like a quark or neutrino has mass because it bends space and time around it adding mass to the object. Because this object has mass, it is impossible for it to travel at the speed of light because its interaction with the mass effect.

--

Now, when it comes to the Higgs field, the Higgs field actually interacts with itself a LOT more than the other sub atomic particles that make up the Standard model. 125 Gev is thought to be around the mass of a gold atom which is HUGE when it comes to the weight and mass of particles so small. The Higgs Boson is simply the result of an excitation of the Higgs field that allows a Higgs Boson to wink into existence long enough for us to observe it and gather data from it (see virtual particles.)

I could talk about this stuff all day when it comes to particle physics, quantum mechanics and the 4 different forces that make up the universe and the stuff in it (weak/strong nuclear force, electromagnetic, and of course gravity). Gravity is actually really fun to thing about especially when you get into ideas like the conjecture that gravity is the effect of a virtual particle called a graviton and such.

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 11:13pm

Kirby998

Kirby998

5,236 posts

Just an idea but, now that we've found the Higgs Boson, the particle that gives stuff mass, we can create new sports! Now that we've found it, we can simply take it away in some Catscan that's in the doorway to an arena (A locker room or something) and make the players weightless! Then, we proceed to invent new sports, until finally, we play QUIDDITCH! :D

Sorry this deserves a double post. That's impossible gravity=/=mass.

Reply to Higgs Boson Found

You must be logged in to post a reply!