ForumsWEPRHiggs Boson Found

24 7854
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This hypothetical particle isn't so hypothetical any more.

BREAKING NEWS! New Particle Found! The Higgs Boson Exists!

Here's a basic explanation as to what the Higgs is.

"The Higgs boson or Higgs particle is a proposed elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. The Higgs boson is named after Peter Higgs who, along with others, proposed the mechanism that predicted such a particle in 1964. The existence of the Higgs boson and the associated Higgs field explain why the other elementary particles in the standard model have mass." -wiki

• 24 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Just from an indirect standpoint the search itself has resulted in advances in computer software technology.

Yes from studying the atoms we got electronics and see how far this science brought us. From a transistor bigger than a quarter to millions squeezed into a small computer processor.
The discovery might be applied some day for space travels, that's amazing!
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I just found this interesting article (transcript):
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/06/156380366/at-long-last-the-higgs-particle-maybe

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

That's incredibly short sighted. Quite often real world application will come unexpectedly. Usually through the process of just trying to make the discovery do we later find real world applications. Even if we don't develop any direct real world applications in developing technology from it having this discovery leaves us working on advancements with one less blind spot.

The sooner the better, preferably. I can't make a judgement on whether it was money well spent until we're further. We've crossed the Rubicon at this point, but I'm far more interested in what we do with the knowledge, not the knowledge itself.

So are we suppose to get practical without the theory?

Not at all. I'm not criticizing the program, in fact I think quite highly of it for its own sake. But I'm going to withhold any proper excitement or judgement until I see, at the very least, ideas for practical application.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What is Dark matter and Dark energy?

Good question, I'll get back to you when someone figures that out.

What do they do?

Dark Energy is thought to be what's causing the universe to accelerate in it's expansion.
Dark Matter is thought to be what's helping to hold galaxies together and simulated models indicate it's necessary for the formation of galaxies. from my understanding we have been able to indirectly observe it as well through a lensing effect.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

who is higgs and how she lost it?

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Actually it may not have been the Higgs Boson.

First.

Second.

Third. (This one's a bit technical.)

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Just for thoroughness.

Thaboss is hoping that they did find it, but even if it's not the Higgs, it's still something different than normal.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Actually it may not have been the Higgs Boson.

Thanks for the links. By the sound of it even if this isn't the actual Higgs Boson it's still a huge discovery.

who is higgs and how she lost it?

Higgs is named after Peter Higgs, a guy. I will assume this was just a joke.
Showing 16-23 of 24