ForumsWEPREnvironmentalism

86 25515
Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

I think its gone to far, and that it is starting to severely affect our economy. Your thoughts?

• 86 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I don't think anyone taught you how oxygen is produced by plants. Even a freshman would know that.
Light strikes the leaves and is absorbed by chlorophyll, after a long, complex process the plant has used water, and co2, and made it into glucose and oxygen.

Did you listen to what i said, most of the light is blocked by the canopy, so it is pretty much like everything under it doesn't really get that much light and therefore doesn't put out much oxygen.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Meh, how about wikipedia on tropical forests?

- layers
- effect on global climate
- deforestation

And as I said before, the poor quality of the soil. If you burn everything on top, you burn all nutrients because the soil doesn't hold much of them. And the rain erodes the terrain quickly, carrying the soil away.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Keven, stop being mean to get your point across, it will help nobody, and people will just get angry at you. Yelling, or in this case typing, offensive material is, to be honest, rather unhelpful, things like these...

holy **** who taught you science?

Even a freshman would know that.

...didn't help. There is a lot of diplomacy involved in places like this, and those posts just made Jacen96 Annoyed. Don't type anything that you wouldn't say in person.

Back on topic, I disagree about our main source of oxygen. It isn't trees, nor grass, or a bush, but the "Big Blue Wet Thing" that covers most of the planet. Mostly because of the two Oxygen molecules to every hydrogen molecule.

But the tree's do collect a lot of carbon as was discussed earlier in the thread. And Oxygen is released when this happens...

I agree with HahiHa, The deforestation does need to stop, but the problem is, is that the people that live in the rain-forest probably don't believe that they are severely damaging the Forest, let alone the world. It is a big forest, and the people need to feed their families somehow, so why not go into the tree cutting business?

~krill11
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It is a big forest, and the people need to feed their families somehow, so why not go into the tree cutting business?

The natives are not the problem. The demand from first world countries is. If there was no demand for exotic woods, the rain forest wouldn't be destroyed at such a fast rate. The thing is that in many cases, lowering the demand on something would be effective; but even though people want to help, they don't realize that they have to be consequent in their lifestyle, and not just spend a bit of money and continue as if nothing happened.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Light strikes the leaves and is absorbed by chlorophyll, after a long, complex process the plant has used water, and co2, and made it into glucose and oxygen.

Did you listen to what i said, most of the light is blocked by the canopy, so it is pretty much like everything under it doesn't really get that much light and therefore doesn't put out much oxygen.

Not really. Your mixing photosynthesis and cellular respiration up. Not only do you not have a basic understanding of how plants work or how much oxygen rainforests produce, but your logic itself is fallacious.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Don't type anything that you wouldn't say in person.

What makes you think I wouldn't say it in person, or even be less vulgar in person?
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

I wasn't just talking to you! Many others look at this thread, and no mater who sees it, it is usually pretty good advise.

Anyway,

Not really. Your mixing photosynthesis and cellular respiration up. Not only do you not have a basic understanding of how plants work or how much oxygen rainforests produce, but your logic itself is fallacious.

Thanks for being nicer-ish, still needs a little work, as just about everyone does, definitely including me, but it is getting there! Thank you very much!

~krill11
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Not really. Your mixing photosynthesis and cellular respiration up.
Photosynthesis is where plants convert CO2 and H2O into C6H12O6 with the help of sunlight. Cellular respiration is where cells, both plant and animal, use C6H12O6 and oxygen to make CO2, H2O, and energy. However, because of the all the dead trees, and the fact that plants rely on cellular respiration when it is too hot for photosynthesis, a mature forest is carbon neutral.

source, and another one.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Umm, that Chemical equation (C6H12O6) doesn't seem to comply to the Octet rule, I might be wrong, but I cant seem to balance the equitation...

A little of topic, but if someone figure's it out, post it on here please.

...From what I figure it should be C6H12O18 for a balanced scale so it would be

6(CO2) + 6(H2O) = C6H12O18
Right? Where would the other Oxygen atoms have gone?

Really curious,
~krill11
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Right? Where would the other Oxygen atoms have gone?
You are going to yell at me because i forgot one thing,

6(CO2)+6(H2O)+Sunlight=C6H12O6+6(O2) but plants also perform cellular respiration
C6H13O6+6(O2)=6(CO2)+6(H2O)+Energy

because of this, the animals in the forest, and the decaying tissue on the floor, a mature forest is carbon NEUTRAL.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Not yelling, just curious... I do not mean to offend.

~krill11

Showing 76-86 of 86