ForumsArt, Music, and WritingProject Proteus "Market Research"

19 8226
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The grandest of dreamers reach the highest of stars while the others only dream of dreaming so high. But this is no time to dream! It is time to reach the stars!

Project Proteus is a special project that will be the project to beat all other projects. It is not just one project, but a project of projects. It is everything and nothing. Part ASC, part WPC, part AC, part WaM, part SSC, and part Flujarian gum rat with 111% creativity and inspiration.

But this is not Project Proteus. It is just a thread about the possibility of Project Proteus. The reason for a thread about a thread? This place isn't that active and I want to see how many people would be interested in participating.

The details are difficult to nail down due to the protean nature of this project, but here is the gist of it:

Project Proteus is a limited-run project of projects of different aspects. The people working on Project Proteus work toward completing the current project and turn their work into the project manager(s). The project managers write up their progress reports and send it to the head of GantiCorp who will review the progress of Project Proteus. After review, a new project is assigned until the completion of Project Proteus.

Project = contest
Project manager = judge
Project member = participant
The head of GantiCorp = Gantic

So there will be a need for project managers (judges) and project members (participants) blah blah blah for a contest where one week might be a poem and the next the drawing a dragon. Winners are not chosen by how well they write or draw but by their ideas and their originality as well as their willingness to perform well, but that is not to say that writing/drawing well does not help. After all that's done is the conclusion to this limited-run project.

• 19 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Sounds like fun. I'll be either a manager or member. But it will not be long until I overthrow Gantic...O wait. That last part was supposed to be edited out.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'll be a project member. I have some Photoshop skills, GIF skills, and writing isn't hard to do, but skill isn't something I have in that field. I can make an entry for every category.

Or, if neccessary, I can judge, considering my all-around knowledge for how to do everything and my understanding of how people do what they do.

Stop me if I sound cocky. :P

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Would join as either judge or participant if I could, but I don't have the best prospects of doing any entries or judgings for the rest of this month.
If it helps anything, though, I am kinda planning to run a new ASC for a couple of months when I get the time.

But, well, if this will be placed at a reasonable time, which for me will be from August to the end of October (November is NaNo month, December is exam time...), I am all for this.
Even if I can't poetry.

(And with a bit of luck, the next Moron and Me production will be ready by January)

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I'm not asking for expense reports. :P You can sign off on them if anyone submits one.

The judging for this shouldn't be as bad with timelines as with one-man shows.

This all depends on how many people actually participate.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Sounds interesting, I really enjoy the projects that Gantic puts together, especially "I Want to See Your Mental Poop".
If I have the time I might participate in this.

But I do have a question, why?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

Would participate if I knew how to animate. Any suggestions.

But sure. I'll join. Should be fun, right?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Would participate if I knew how to animate. Any suggestions.

GIMP and Photoshop both allow the user to create slides one-by-one and then animate and save as an animated GIF. Much like a post-it book flipped through.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

GIMP and Photoshop both allow the user to create slides one-by-one and then animate and save as an animated GIF. Much like a post-it book flipped through.

The easier way to say it is frame animation. I would go with GIMP. Photoshop costs lots of money.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Is anyone actually up for anything that doesn't require simple writing and drawing?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Like what exactly. I need examples.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Is anyone actually up for anything that doesn't require simple writing and drawing?

As said earlier, I can submit an entry for every categorical subject you mentioned.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

A bit of storytelling, design, editing, animating, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.

I'm not going to propose anything 'unreasonable' like printmaking, sculpting, composing, dancing, surgery, flying, conquering, etc.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

It depends. How hard and long would the project take?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Laundry isn't that hard. Takes no more than 2 hours.
Cleaning is a bit more difficult and tediously time consuming.
Cooking is even harder but more time consuming including the prep work that needs to be done.
Animating is harder still and even more time consuming with its manual frame-by-frame process.
Editing is harder than that and takes up so much time looking over things multiple times you'll take breaks than lengthen the time it takes.
Design is nigh impossible and requires insight and inspiration which may take ages.
Storytelling is a skillful craft and takes generations upon generations. What you get in the end is an epochal story.

Showing 1-15 of 19