Treasurer

Nobody seems to care about this thread.
That's okay, have a beer!
--------- c[ ]

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Most people have a wrong conception of the event and tend to glorify it, when what happened was just some rebels capturing a near empty prison, about a dozen prisoners and massacring the guard. Not exactly a spectacular roaring success.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Most people have a wrong conception of the event and tend to glorify it, when what happened was just some rebels capturing a near empty prison, about a dozen prisoners and massacring the guard. Not exactly a spectacular roaring success.

Unfortunately, they also destroyed many works of art, knowledge, and great minds of the time.
But if the Americans would repeat it now and massacre the rich parasites who are oppressing them and are slowly bringing the country to it's ruin, it would get a different outcome.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Was referring to the Bastille event and not the FR as a whole.

I disagree. You can emasculate the banks and squeeze them into submission, but to lay the blame solely on them is narrow minded. The American people themselves have done much to cause their own problems, during the boom years just before 2008, the USA had a negative savings rate; Yankees were
Spending more than they earn. If this isn't a sign of fiscal imprudence and shooting oneself in the foot, I don't know what is.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Spending more than they earn. If this isn't a sign of fiscal imprudence and shooting oneself in the foot, I don't know what is.

You have to understand that people are constantly bombarded by advertisements and advertisers are way too good at it (ever heard of target audience?). After being practically brainwashed by those ads, people say to themselves "hey why can't I have this too?", so they load their credit cards and the card companies raises the interests which started around 14% to 20, 27, 30%.
I was observing my GF which is a very intelligent woman, drool over those annoying I Phone and I pad commercials and she ended up buying both.
If you don't watch TV then your mailbox is loaded by ads, the radio, giant ad boards on the highway, etc.
No wonder so many people quit watching TV...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

And here we go again, blaming others wholly. Of course ads are goon to be attractive, but don't go telling me that they're so attractive that people clearly forget and spend more than they have. You only really have yourself to blame if such excessive expenditure is not necessary, and over consumption is a result. You have the responsibility to monitor your own finances, and should be doing so, instead of blaming others.

Is it that hard to know you have such a fixed amount of money to spend?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Hey, I'm not talking about myself because I don't buy what I can't afford but most people do.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

And they do so, because they are not fiscally prudent. Out of the components that make up GDP, Consumption, Investment, Government expenditure, net exports, 70% of the American economy is made up by Consumption, which is an appalling number.

Anyway, back to the topic, Happy belated Bastille Day, just don't get your knickers in a twist over it!

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Hmm...

The entire French Revolution was pretty gruesome except for the Bastille. The capturing of the large weapon-holding facility resulted in one of the most successful "angry mob" attempts in history. I applaud that.

Otherwise, the guillotine had its work cut out for itself during the next few years.

Showing 1-9 of 9