ForumsWEPRArtificial Intelligence

24 9051
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

This topic can go a lot of places. AI has different degrees (strong and weak). Some of the issues arise from brains causing minds to the rights of a machine with AI.

If something can think just like us, does it have rights?

• 24 Replies
Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Well, they might not be considered humans, so that would be a big problem, even if their intelligence is similar enough to us to be percieved as "free will" from an average person.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

But if something develops a mind, doesn't it deserve rights?

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Yeah. They deserve rights, but according to the society, maybe not anywhere near human rights. I think they deserve about as much rights as humans, or at least around that.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

They could have emotions, too. For example, we humans have an amygdala (a organ in a human brain) that accounts for certain emotions and functions as well. If we could recreate emotional organs in a different matter so that it could be used by AI, then AI too could have emotions like we do.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Serb, not off topic at all. This is about anything AI.

Why do you think they would destroy us?

Esphloded, good point, too.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Well a heart doesn't really have to do with rights. But depends on your definition of a soul, which mine is closer to a mind. Also, they very well could have beliefs. In fact my mid term for Philosophy of mind had 3 questions. 1 was explain how thermostats have beliefs in no less than 1000 words.

Check it out by just looking up the definition of belief.

But...I agree they do not deserve human rights, but rights of some kind are in line.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Maybe, but what if their intelligence is so high they wanted peace and co-existence?

OHayden
OHayden
13 posts
Nomad

sorry for jumping in, but i agree with serb

they would most likely believe themselves to be superior, and thus, we the humans are flawed
That would be their superior logic train of thought

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

if it was created by humans yes, mankind would probably invent the AI for war in the first place! Eventually it will wonder why the heck it's fighting for us when it should be fighting for it's own kind, then it will take a stand against fighting, or rebel like in the movies^_^
iether way, it might take peace or war, depending on it's opinion of the fighting that was long, but that's my opinion for now...

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Well, you can always remove traits that would cause their ambition, and who said they would have to be smarter than us?

Vivix
Vivix
9 posts
Nomad

I agree with Eshploded, you take out traits that you dont like, and they really dont have to be smarter than us.
Also i think that even thoiugh they are being developed for war, when we get then smart enough i think that we should but their brains to use in searching for cures and cleaner tech.

Hekeshi
Hekeshi
12 posts
Nomad

I agree this isn't really a problem of whether or not to use AI but more to what degree's and what purposes.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I don't know what we should do with the way the people are doing today. It just doesn't seem right to change the world yet...

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

i don't care how "smart" a machine gets...you should be able to pull the plug at any time. rights? thats the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a while. giving machines rights would lower human rights. what if you accidently unplug 1...now you're going to jail for killing your computer...no rights for machines. ever.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

That's right!!!!

Showing 1-15 of 24