ForumsWEPRwhats the difference?

183 43792
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

so,just about everybody has ruled out the possiblity of their being spcific Gods for a element.Such as the greek Gods,what is the difference however between believing in "mythology" and say for instance a Christan religion.Why is it more beliveable?Does anybody have a answer to why it is more believed that their is one God and not many? Why do people who believe in a God not realize that they are believing in the same thing that they also call rubbish?

• 183 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

i.e(memories,knowledge,thoughts)

Neural signals are basically electric potential differences, it should be measurable if they are able of leaving the body. Which is unlikely since they would be highly unstable outside the neurons, thus dispersing immediately.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

mage gray wolf mentioned black holes, black holes eat things and store them as information, black holes then evaporate, its all a transfer of energy.

this simple transfer of energy is how i believe it works and there would be no way to measure it because its the information the written code made by electrical differences in neurons not the pulses themselves. (think of binary code in a computer each electrical pulse is like a grouping of 1's and 0's)

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

mage gray wolf mentioned black holes, black holes eat things and store them as information, black holes then evaporate, its all a transfer of energy.

Really now? I am pretty sure you don't know anything about black holes either. Did you learn everything you know in Christian websites?

this simple transfer of energy is how i believe it works

What simple transfer of energy?

it works and there would be no way to measure it because its the information the written code made by electrical differences in neurons not the pulses themselves. (think of binary code in a computer each electrical pulse is like a grouping of 1's and 0's)

If energy is being transferred, at all, we can sense it. That would be like saying we can not sense a radio signal because it is just random pulses. Besides that, do you know how the brain works either?

As he said before, how does your idea of "Sol" take in account bodily damage that can change a person's personality? The biggest example of this was the railroad worker who got a pipe threw his head, changing his personality that is often attributed to the soal. How would that work under your little insane hypothesis?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm not speaking of the brain itself but the contents within i.e(memories,knowledge,thoughts)are all information that is stored in the brain, it is not the brain that would leave the body but the information, unfortunately there is no device that could measure such an event to prove any of us right or wrong.

Let's say I took a piece of paper and wrote a message on it with ink. Now the properties of the ink on the paper make up the information. If we take away the ink and paper we also lose the message. This is the same for the contents of the brain.

Further more since you are claiming that it's not shown to be right or wrong we are again back to the null hypothesis where we would default to saying it ain't so until we refute that it ain't so.

It's more in the sense of physical information. consciousness is an emergent property. Think of it like this. 5-2= each character represents the physical information. The emergent property of this we can think of as the result 3. Now we can throw this information into a black hole 2=5- The physical information of the equation still exists, but it's no longer going to give us the emergent property it did. Though if we know what pieces go where we could reassemble the equation again so that it functions the way it did.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

MGW if I'm not mistaken you just said that matter could be reassembled (with proper knowledge) to recreate the physical properties of said matter, could this not also work for the brain?

@314d1
going back to quantum theory this information could be anywhere (I know you may find this ridiculous but i also think that it may have slipped into the multiverse or perhaps an alternate dimension for that matter)

and i learned about black holes at school (I may believe in souls but I'm not that religious I would never get that kind of information off of an unreliable source.)

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

MGW if I'm not mistaken you just said that matter could be reassembled (with proper knowledge) to recreate the physical properties of said matter, could this not also work for the brain?

@314d1
going back to quantum theory this information could be anywhere (I know you may find this ridiculous but i also think that it may have slipped into the multiverse or perhaps an alternate dimension for that matter)

and i learned about black holes at school (I may believe in souls but I'm not that religious I would never get that kind of information off of an unreliable source.)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sure it could if we knew how. But like in that math example you're not going to get the emergent property of consciousness with a dissembled brain anymore than you will get the answer of 3 from the dissembled math equation. You can't have the consciousness without the brain. Another way to think about trying to have consciousness without the brain is like trying to have something wet without it being exposed to a liquid.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

what if there were another brain for the conscious to move to

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

To make such a transfer you would be essentially replicating the existing brain in some way. That in itself opens a huge philosophical can of worms.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

can of worms

Can I have more information or another link?

as far as I see it it would be just another container for the information to be stored maybe there could be other more complex structures than the brain that could retain this information.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Can I have more information or another link?

I'll give it a shot but these philosophical arguments really aren't my field.

If you have two brains and and to alter one brain so that it matches the other, is it the same consciousness or is it just an exact clone that thinks it's the original?

as far as I see it it would be just another container for the information to be stored maybe there could be other more complex structures than the brain that could retain this information.

The information in this case is contingent on the physical aspect of the brain. Going back to the paper analogy, you could photocopy the paper with a message written on it but you would be using new materials that are just being arrange in the exact same way as the original.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Yeah! And what if that other brain was in a magical paradise lead by an all powerful, physics bending, leader of the world? And what if Unicorns cause gravity?

Now lets just say that your little fan fiction was actually possible. What would that change? Unless you can prove it, it is jut insane babbling. For example, I can say that the entire universe was created when two deities had sex and gave birth to it by creating a natural happening thing that created the universe. But this is not true. Why would it be?

Now please tell me, WHY would there be another brain for you to go in? Why would that be necessary? What would lead you to believe that? What proof do you have? Even if it was possible, we have no reason to believe that it is true and plenty of reason not to believe. Why would that happen?
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

WHY would there be another brain for you to go in? Why would that be necessary?

for an afterlife

What would lead you to believe that? What proof do you have?

this is what we've been discussing, if needed you can read through a second time

Yeah! And what if that other brain was in a magical paradise lead by an all powerful, physics bending, leader of the world? And what if Unicorns cause gravity?

your close mindedness isn't appreciated

The information in this case is contingent on the physical aspect of the brain. Going back to the paper analogy, you could photocopy the paper with a message written on it but you would be using new materials that are just being arrange in the exact same way as the original.

I'm not referring to creation of an entire new consciousness but the transfer of one to a new brain / container
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I'm not referring to creation of an entire new consciousness but the transfer of one to a new brain / container

But that's the whole point; our consciousness is made up by our brain, if you make a brain that is a perfect copy of yours, it's a perfect copy of your consciousness; not you.

And how would you call that an afterlife? It sounds simply like a brain cloning procedure to transfer information from point A to point B. I don't see the point in it (no pun intended).

your close mindedness isn't appreciated

Inventing random ideas for the sake of it, is better in what way?
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

Inventing random ideas for the sake of it, is better in what way?

How are these ideas random?

But that's the whole point; our consciousness is made up by our brain, if you make a brain that is a perfect copy of yours, it's a perfect copy of your consciousness; not you.

The copy brain would be empty, to have said information copied unto it

you should also read this http://www.superconsciousness.com/topics/science/why-consciousness-not-brain
Showing 46-60 of 183