Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Is transsexualism a disorder?

Posted Aug 11, '12 at 7:29am

TheZanmato

TheZanmato

112 posts

for me it is, because it's not a normal thing... gay, lesbian and bi are normal, because it's in-borned or a metter of decision...

Posted Aug 11, '12 at 2:36pm

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,912 posts

for me it is, because it's not a normal thing... gay, lesbian and bi are normal, because it's in-borned or a metter of decision...

not good enough. and honestly is a horibble explanation. first of all, gay, lesbian and bi arent a matter of decision, they are born that way period.

second, i really cant see what the big idea is. im not sure how a person can feel he is the other gender because it really doesnt really matter.

is it because he/she feels girly/boyish? there are girly guys and tomboys who dont want to be the other gender. or maybe its because they physically dont feel comfortable with their body? in that case id understand.

i dont think that this is more of a disorder then a girl who decides to make her breasts larger. she can pretty much say that she is a big breasted girl stuck in a small breasted body no? the only difference is that its a more extreme change...

Posted Aug 12, '12 at 3:23am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,666 posts

Knight

the DSM-IV-TR claimed homosexuality was a disorder. I'm waiting until the fifth text revision, but either way it is a load of ****.

That was debunked and removed in 1973. A visage of it was left until removed 1986.

Posted Aug 12, '12 at 2:07pm

DionRainsmith

DionRainsmith

13 posts

Allow me to clarify-

GID is a real disorder, but Transsexualism itself isn't.

GID is when you suffer psychological trauma and become obsessed with changing your physical gender because your brain thinks it's one gender, but your body is the other gender. I have a couple friends who suffer from this, and since they can't just magic away the trauma and stress that comes from the mind VS body disparity, so they have to change their physical gender to fit their mental gender to calm down and 'correct' the disorder. They just can't help it.

However, Transsexuality itself is the choice to become the other gender, and can happen with or without GID. I've also met others that don't suffer GID, and is fine with their current gender, but still would prefer to be the other gender, so if they can, they'll switch or at least just dress and act the part.

For those who compare Homosexuality to it- Homosexuality isn't a disorder or disease, merely a "mode" in our genes that determine what we see as "love". Not lust, but love. Most of the time, it's born with, but some people do actively choose to swing the other way as well.

By the way, it's not just bonobos- over 200 different species of animals actively express homosexual affection. Not just 'domination' or lust as Christians keep trying to claim it is, but actual affection, loving couples. In fact, the animal with the highest homosexual ratio would be the Giraffes. You know how Christians love to use sheep and lambs to symbolize themselves (what with blindly following the herd)? Funny thing- sheep also practice homosexuality a lot, and sheepherders even gripe about this, because the rams would often ignore the breeding female in exchange for loving each others.

Love has priority over lust and sex. Sounds about right. Anyone agree?

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 10:21am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,841 posts

Knight

Even if it is, so what?

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:15pm

halogunner

halogunner

766 posts

first of all, gay, lesbian and bi arent a matter of decision, they are born that way period.

I strongly disagree

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:28pm

ellock

ellock

276 posts

No, I think it is a complete and total choice of the person. I don't even think it truly changes your gender, it just makes it look like it. Sure it could come from a disposition, but it still comes down to a choice.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:36pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

They aren't always born that way.  I have this gorgeous lesbian friend who has pictures of her as a small child kissing a little boy on Facebook with the description of "I wasn't always gay LAWL" ... Or something similar.  I don't like the "born that way" argument.  It isn't even an argument at all.  Mentally handicapped children are "born that way," individuals with cleft palates and associated issues are "born that way." Regardless of whether or not I sympathize with your overall point, your argument sucks, so you need come up with something better.

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 12:06am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,912 posts

I strongly disagree

just like a person can strongly disagree that 1+1=2.

its a fact. having an opinion that goes against a fact is pointless. espacially if the homosexuals themselves TELL you they are born that way. how would you know if you cant judge it if your gay?

you have 3 choices: believe homosexuals since they know what it is, believe scientists who use logic and believe random people you agree with.

do you realise the difference? you having an opinion wont change the fact.

They aren't always born that way.  I have this gorgeous lesbian friend who has pictures of her as a small child kissing a little boy on Facebook with the description of "I wasn't always gay LAWL" ... Or something similar.  I don't like the "born that way" argument.  It isn't even an argument at all.  Mentally handicapped children are "born that way," individuals with cleft palates and associated issues are "born that way." Regardless of whether or not I sympathize with your overall point, your argument sucks, so you need come up with something better.

can she explain? how old was she in the pic? when and how did she suddenly wake up and was gay?

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 1:47am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,133 posts

I would say that one could be transsexual and experience gender identity disorder, but being transsexual isn't having GID.

Mage pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

How is it not normal. Being gay is not a matter of decision, either is believing you are another gender. The choice to be another gender is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. People can change their hair every week to keep themselves happy, may aswell be who you want to be.

Reply to Is transsexualism a disorder?

You must be logged in to post a reply!