ForumsWEPRThe Boy Scouts of America

56 10201
notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

I am in the B.S.A. and I just want to know everyone's opinion on it.

• 56 Replies
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Strop my bro who is in the Royal Marines knows a guy who was kicked out when they found out he was gay. my bro sed he was a top bloke. I think its different for the military because they argue it as a case of combat effectiveness(they think the gay guys would get distracted) in the same way that women arent allowed in certain regiments because they arent strong enough. However i think in a society where any religion or creed is accepted as well as race people should be able to join the boy scouts. Just because they are gay doesnt make them paedophiles aswell i am surprised no one has mentioned this. I mean are straght guys allowed to work with the female scouts?Yes. But it doesnt mean they wanna fuck them.Its basically the same thing really.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Word!

I think its different for the military because they argue it as a case of combat effectiveness(they think the gay guys would get distracted)

I do agree. What a load of hockey. The real reason is that the social institution is such that the homophobic blokes in the military would feel worried that "Dude, he's checking me out" and they'd get distracted. Maybe they're aware of that, I don't know.

Just because they are gay doesnt make them paedophiles aswell i am surprised no one has mentioned this

I'm pleasantly surprised. But yes, thank god this false generalisation isn't made here despite its alarming frequency elsewhere...especially since that about three quarters of reported cases of pedophilia also report heterosexual attraction (DSM-IV-TR, Merck Manual 17th ed.)

Straight guys are allowed to work with female scouts? What about females with male scouts?
Squalick
Squalick
68 posts
Nomad

Strop

1234 posts

whoa

that's awesome

Alright, so let's get organized and create the "People Scouts" or the "Citizen Scouts" or something. "Hippy Scouts"?

thaggard53
thaggard53
808 posts
Nomad

I would say it is pretty good, my friends are in it, but i quit because it takes up way too much time

thaggard53
thaggard53
808 posts
Nomad

Oh yes, and the gay policy. This is by far the stupidest rule in America. Gay people aren't bad, they are just somewhat different. excluding homosexuals from activities is the worst decision anyone has ever made. It is a load of crap

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Umm, this 'gay rule' the BSA put up, um how would they know? Do they ask you when joining if your gay?

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Because the military is funded through public taxes, excluding gays is wrong and should be stopped.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@thelistman: Dude, did you read my post? I said private orgs SHOULD be allowed to exclude anyone they want. I also said that I think the scouts SHOULD NOT do so, but they have a right to do so.

@woody: that sucks for your bro. Here's hoping the marines reverse their dumbass policy soon.

@Strop: Female leaders in the Boy Scouts are fine. The Girl Scouts have no problem with Male leaders. But those gays, WHOA! The logic just isn't there.

Of interesting note, the "no gays" policy is only for the Boy Scouts. The Girl Scouts allow lesbians in with no problem. (In the US, the programs are separate, which is different from most of the world).

The separate organization is interesting, and I'd support it, but I'd rather change the policy of the BSA. You know, righting wrongs, and not reinventing the wheel.

@thaggard: totally agree, but unfortunately some people are using their religion to enforce their bigotry, and logic and compassion were strangely left out of the equation.

@SkullZero1: Actually, they do make you sign a form when you're an adult saying you have "moral values" (or something similar, it's been a while since I signed that). Usually, they kick you out when someone that doesn't like you finds out you're gay and tattles (of course, some people lead gay pride parades and wonder how they were found out, but that's another matter).

@thelistman: agree that the military should not exclude gays. It's retarded when they kick out several score of translators, and then wonder why we can't communicate with anyone on the ground in the middle east. Come on guys, military intelligence doesn't have to be an oxymoron!

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I was going to bring up the gay policy, but i'll just go ahead and put my 2 cents in: The boy scouts are stupid.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@kanethebrain

My bad. I've been jacked up on so many meds and have about 3 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

HA, NOT 1234 POSTS ANYMORE D:

Guess I'll have to stick around till I have 12345 posts...but next up is 1248!

This thread is a freakin' goldmine because it's giving me all these little details of intricacies and idiosyncratic features of the organisation and their values. The incongruities are indicative of man's habit to latch on to and preserve all kinds of social structures...of attachment in general.

Because the military is funded through public taxes, excluding gays is wrong and should be stopped.

Ahah! Uhm...sorry, I've also had about 3 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours. I know I want to highlight this but I forgot my direction.

Actually, they do make you sign a form when you're an adult saying you have "moral values"

Moral values? Oh, count me out! I remember there is also a policy in certain places about blood donors having to be heterosexual? Because, like, you know, we're still living in the 70s and believe that AIDS is strictly a gay disease? A few of my friends reported storming out either because a) they're not heterosexual b) they found it a violation of their principles c) both.
Showing 46-56 of 56