ForumsThe TavernThe Olympics Thread

23 3550
XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

As I am typing this the Olympic opening ceremony is underway, and with the start of the Olympic Games I though I would start the Olympic Games thread. Here we can discuss the action as it unfolds.

For now, what are your thoughts on the opening ceremony?

Personally it seemed over-the-top as it always is, and it was really strange how they did it. Going through the eras starting before the industrial revolution was cool, and I found the set up amazing. It must have taken months to get all of that put into place, and get the people ready with their costumes. Much respect to them for doing it but again unnecessary.

• 23 Replies
ThatGuyOnBroadway
ThatGuyOnBroadway
28 posts
Nomad

In my opinion, USA could have looked a LOT better. However, Nepal looked great! Of couse, i have neither favorites.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Vague quote of The Three Musketeers:
Love the spelling, very retro.
Anyway, grammar broadside aside, I think New Zealand shouldn't have resurrected 40-year-old costume designs. It's too basic, the black and gray. But I'm no fashion judge.

omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

I have been watching the women's soccer because the U.S men didn't make it so so far they're undefeated and so is Brazil so it might be them in the finals and hopefully U.S wins.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

@Masterforger.

Are you saying I quoted The Three Musketeers?

And the U.S. wardrobe looked pretty bad I think. They were also made in China -_-

Erlkingvoice
Erlkingvoice
44 posts
Scribe

Table tennis rocks!

ThatGuyOnBroadway
ThatGuyOnBroadway
28 posts
Nomad

Phelps lost against loctile! He dethromed the king!

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

The independent athletes looked like they were having a ball...

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

Phelps lost against loctile! He dethromed the king!

Not only dethroned him, put him to shame. Phelps got 4th.

I think it's weird that they interview people RIGHT as they leave the water, especially after a race like the 400 IM. They are really oxygen deprived and it's tough for them to put thoughts together.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

The USA did not look horrible. Wasn't an 'OMG I love it' but it wasn't horrible. GB looked horrible. What the heck were they wearing?

Opening ceremonies are just too long in general. Over 4 hours. Really?

Lochte won the IM. Good for him. Seemed a little rude at the end or so I have heard. Was stuck in Phelps shadow though in 08.

Ya. They are usually gasping for air when they are being interviewed.

France won the 4 by 100 relay. Good for them. As long as the US places I am happy.

Haven't been following tons of gymnastics. US seems to be doing well though.

Cannot wait for the women's 1500 for swimming. Hope the 15 year old wins.

Misty May and Walsh seem to be doing well.

Haven't watch tons but I have heard things. So if my facts are outdated then forgive me.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I'm waiting for Wrestling and Judo. My favorites. I haven't been able to follow the boxing much, unfortunately.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

And the people that run gymnastics suck. Jordan Weiber is at least in the Top 5 of the gymnasts at the Olympics but she cannot be in the All Round competition because the rules say only 2 from each country can compete in All Round. That rule is bullsh*t.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

i hate the way the olympics are thrown. $40 million for countries to parade around at the opening ceremonies? i wonder how that much money could help the research on a disease? but no its wasted on a parade. and $14 billion for the entire thing? extensive, no? so NBC gave $300 million to olympic comitee. surely they gave double that to research that would cure cancer or AIDS, right? wrong again.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

besides that, i feel that the USA womens soccer team will take the gold. they are the dream team of soccer in my opinion. Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan, and Abby Wambach are an amazing trio. Of course their defense is headed with Hope Solo which helps.

Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

I was sad that the US lost the swimming relay to France, but at least we beat them last year in that event.

BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

Two Gold medals for the Brits today! I still don't think we'll ever get to fourth place in the medal tables like we did last year though.

Showing 1-15 of 23