Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 9:57am

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

I forgot to mention that the merc's gay.

I hope Chick-fil-A ain't reading this book.

Acmed, you wanted dragons and that isn't Dragons. Sure I could tie it into something, but it's not really floatin' my boat. Good for a intro for a character, but not first chapter.

The chapter I'm doing will have a dragon, and will explain that there is good and bad ones. Can the dragons talk? PLEASE?

Also, peasant, warrior, and prince? Yes, way too cliche. We totes have to have a female present ^-^
I'm all for a warrior, but I don't think a prince belongs. Peasant is meh-ish. But I'd rather have some other lowly person than a plain peasant.

The character I'm doing is a low class farmer. Is that good enough?

Just an idea but, why don't we have a copy of the map that contains the different things that have happened, a bit like a synopsis of the story up until now?

You mean Tekko-Joust? You want me to add that?

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 10:30am

ChillzMaster

ChillzMaster

1,359 posts

The chapter I'm doing will have a dragon, and will explain that there is good and bad ones. Can the dragons talk? PLEASE?

I see no problem with the dragons talking. However, they should use syntax that is sort of "above" common speech. Hm. Something like the Royal Canterlot Voice, that's what I'm trying to get across.

You mean Tekko-Joust? You want me to add that?

It should be that one dot to the East of Variantia and NW to... the one city in the SE corner (can't remember). Mind you, they're ruins, not an actual city, hence why it's to be a meager dot and not a full-fledged metropolis.

How about a Miner? This is the Iron Age supposedly, so there's bound to be one.

I could dig a miner, but this is definitely more around the 1200's, Steel and whatnot coming in to play to replace unrefined Iron.

-Chillz

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 10:35am

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

I see no problem with the dragons talking. However, they should use syntax that is sort of "above" common speech. Hm. Something like the Royal Canterlot Voice, that's what I'm trying to get across.

Bazinga?

It should be that one dot to the East of Variantia and NW to... the one city in the SE corner (can't remember). Mind you, they're ruins, not an actual city, hence why it's to be a meager dot and not a full-fledged metropolis.

Got it!

I could dig a miner, but this is definitely more around the 1200's, Steel and whatnot coming in to play to replace unrefined Iron.

If we have 3 to 4 characters, you won't make another chapter based on introducing someone. I get next chapter, then we go through all the writers, then back to you.

So, what do we need to do to "fix" this chapter?

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 10:51am

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

http://i.imgur.com/7dOie.png

I added Tekko, and the character lives south east of Greenrich for my chapter. He's a farmer, and that's his farm.

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 1:00pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

I forgot to mention that the merc's gay.

No offense, but this is the middle ages. Gays weren't exactly... tolerated.

1200's

lol 1200s. Your character had steel plate armor, which didn't come into prominence until the late 1400s.

Anyways, want me to write the next piece?

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 2:01pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

601 posts

I added Tekko, and the character lives south east of Greenrich for my chapter. He's a farmer, and that's his farm.

So, my understanding so far is that each writer is to introduce one of the characters in roughly 500 words. Is that correct? If so, I want the miner if the character is deemed acceptable.

Fix. Hmm. If you're meaning sort of like what they will solve in the first chapter plot-wise, then I have no idea. I thought we were just trying to get them into the Castle Variantia successfully.

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 2:59pm

ChillzMaster

ChillzMaster

1,359 posts

Bazinga?

Nailed it.

lol 1200s. Your character had steel plate armor, which didn't come into prominence until the late 1400s.

*shrug* Medieval history isn't my strongest suit.

No offense, but this is the middle ages. Gays weren't exactly... tolerated.

He's a merc, ruled by no man (unless he's into that) so he's free to practice his homosexuality. Doesn't matter if it's tolerated or not, Geoffrey'll flaunt what he's got. ^_^

Let's get the other character origins written. We'll compile them into one large "Prologue".

-Chillz

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 3:06pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,230 posts

haaaaaaaaaah this is gonna suck, but for the next two weeks I'll be at band camp. :<

So acmed, while I'm away just look to Oreo for a different opinion I guess. I'll be coming back to throw another poem in my thread and reply back to my comments on a daily basis, so if you really need something, ask me on my profile.

I don't have enough time to go in depth, but basically I'm not a fan of what has gone on so far. But it isn't about me, so whatever makes whoever is looking, happy, will do just fine.

Also, I'm only noticing Chillz, Brains, acmed, Oreo, and me. We are the only ones on a consistent basis, so if you want this to be a real community thing, haul the others back as well.

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 4:12pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

You should have quit last year >.>

I've tried to keep up by just reading. I would love to keep helping it if I could; I just need to get all the contests / competitions / whatever else requires my participation sorted out. I guess I'll be writing? This will be on a character separate from my AG character, right? How many words should I have?

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 8:56pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

601 posts

Also, I'm only noticing Chillz, Brains, acmed, Oreo, and me. We are the only ones on a consistent basis, so if you want this to be a real community thing, haul the others back as well.

I think Salvidian posted twice. It's our consistency that scares people away. They feel out of place comparing themselves to people so firmly implanted in this story.

Reply to The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

You must be logged in to post a reply!