Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 9:16pm

acmed

acmed

3,561 posts

Anyways, want me to write the next piece?

I'm already writing the next piece. You can write the next next piece.

So, my understanding so far is that each writer is to introduce one of the characters in roughly 500 words. Is that correct? If so, I want the miner if the character is deemed acceptable.

I might do a little more than 500, because that's the type of writer I am. I think a miner would be good, but I also want to see someone as a main character in the castle. 4 main characters good?

Fix. Hmm. If you're meaning sort of like what they will solve in the first chapter plot-wise, then I have no idea. I thought we were just trying to get them into the Castle Variantia successfully.

Fix as in understandably. Did you get it? And I didn't mean everyone goes to the castle at the same time all at the beginning. The farmer isn't going anywhere in my chapter.

Let's get the other character origins written. We'll compile them into one large "Prologue".

Not ALL of them, just the next guy, the farmer. And I'm just giving it a start, no need to pre-write this one.

[quote]haaaaaaaaaah this is gonna suck, but for the next two weeks I'll be at band camp. :

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 9:48pm

acmed

acmed

3,561 posts

Why didn't the rest of the post show?

haaaaaaaaaah this is gonna suck, but for the next two weeks I'll be at band camp. :

Eh, we'll be one man short.

I've tried to keep up by just reading. I would love to keep helping it if I could; I just need to get all the contests / competitions / whatever else requires my participation sorted out. I guess I'll be writing? This will be on a character separate from my AG character, right? How many words should I have?

Welcome. That's it. Welcome. The word count we'll get to you when you write...

I think Salvidian posted twice. It's our consistency that scares people away. They feel out of place comparing themselves to people so firmly implanted in this story.

As long as people post it'll be fine. I kind of feel the same way with WoM.

So, is the chapter good? Can I post it on its on own story thread? Can I start the next chapter?

And BOOK TITLE NAME

WE NEED ONE

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 10:56pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

I think Salvidian posted twice. It's our consistency that scares people away. They feel out of place comparing themselves to people so firmly implanted in this story.

I deliberately said I wasn't participating. I don't have enough time to dedicate to the project, and I don't have anything to add other than my two previous posts. I'm trying to help, but in no way will I force myself to give more time.

I already need to finish my other project. If you have to ask what that project is, I'll beat you. ;D

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 11:36pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

4,390 posts

And BOOK TITLE NAME

WE NEED ONE

No we don't. That can wait until we know what the story will be.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 7:04am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

1,783 posts

Ha. I'm back from the dead... Lol, nobody here might remember (nevertheless know) who I am.

This is actually quite interesting. I don't know why, but I guess it'd be fun :D

I'm quite busy with life right now (explains why I only post a meager TWICE A YEAR on average) but if this trudges on, I'd be happy to help.

I'm quite an able writer, but I think I'd vouch as a plot-director, as I can generally just think of plot events during my free time. Could also work as an illustrator, might post a few doodles later... or not

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 8:03am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

1,783 posts

Sorry, my photo taking skills ruined perspective. But at least I tried right XD
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/IMG_2290-1.png
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/IMG_2293.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/IMG_2294-1.png
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/IMG_2295.png
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/IMG_0394.jpg
And Of Course, some Color:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/Assassin.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/Secretmapper16/Solid-Snake.jpg

I'm not really sure if this art srt style is fit for the bill, but I'd be glad if I could help even a little. I'm pretty well versed in Photoshop too, so I can prolly do a book cover or something.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 8:45am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

1,783 posts

Well since I'm a new comer, I've read the posts from the top. Seems rather cliche.

First of all, we should really think about the story and plot more. The writers are already so focused on writing the scenes, and when we paste the whole thing together, it won't really have much consistency you know. And if we're going to do it like that, we might as well just aim for a Short Story Collection, with different writers writing their own shorts, basically having the 'setting' as the only consistent thread that ties the whole thing together.

I guess it is up to the plot directors to make a consistent plot, and then just let the writers follow that basic plot.

Also, Orion is right. We need to be careful in what we're writing. Be sure to research what you're putting in to your chapters. We don't want unrealistic/anachronistic details spewed everywhere.

Also, we could use:
An online collaborative 'thingie' GoogleDocs and the like, but AdobeSTORY seems quite promising for this kind of thing, though I haven't personally used it yet. Without this, this project will fall apart very quickly.

For maps, it'd be easier to find cartography programs (like CC3), or if someone's up for it, draw one.

Anyway, I'm reconsidering some things. Well, let's just see where this goes.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 8:57am

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

So, is the chapter good? Can I post it on its on own story thread? Can I start the next chapter?

Well if we are basing chapter size as something akin to the WoM, then yeah sure, one post is fine, if, however, we actually are trying to get to actual novel size, then we should compile all the intro's into one chapter.

Fix as in understandably. Did you get it? And I didn't mean everyone goes to the castle at the same time all at the beginning. The farmer isn't going anywhere in my chapter.

I think I'm getting what's going on.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 9:35am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

1,783 posts

Oh, and just to be in the clear the last two color illustrations of mine were based off of Ezio Auditore and Solid Snake, from Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid, respectively.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 10:25am

acmed

acmed

3,561 posts

No we don't. That can wait until we know what the story will be.

We have a main plot about the dragon war though.

I'm quite an able writer, but I think I'd vouch as a plot-director, as I can generally just think of plot events during my free time. Could also work as an illustrator, might post a few doodles later... or not

Alright then! Welcome to the team!

First of all, we should really think about the story and plot more. The writers are already so focused on writing the scenes, and when we paste the whole thing together, it won't really have much consistency you know. And if we're going to do it like that, we might as well just aim for a Short Story Collection, with different writers writing their own shorts, basically having the 'setting' as the only consistent thread that ties the whole thing together.

We don't have a plot so far in the beginning, we just need to get everyone to Castle Variantia. After the character introductions, we will get in more depth with plot. We're giving the writers a little freedom right now, but once it gets down to the main action points, we'll have it organized.

An online collaborative 'thingie' GoogleDocs and the like, but AdobeSTORY seems quite promising for this kind of thing, though I haven't personally used it yet. Without this, this project will fall apart very quickly.

We're using GoogleDocs to live stream our work.

For maps, it'd be easier to find cartography programs (like CC3), or if someone's up for it, draw one.

We're just gonna use Paint, it's really not a big deal.

Well if we are basing chapter size as something akin to the WoM, then yeah sure, one post is fine, if, however, we actually are trying to get to actual novel size, then we should compile all the intro's into one chapter.

These are the chapters. Chapter 1 character, Chapter 2 next character, and then sooner or later they're all together.

Oh, and just to be in the clear the last two color illustrations of mine were based off of Ezio Auditore and Solid Snake, from Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid, respectively.

Okay so we know you can draw. Thanks. I like those ones!

Reply to The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

You must be logged in to post a reply!