Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

Posted Aug 3, '12 at 10:43am

acmed

acmed

3,561 posts

I'm thinking "Axehelm"

Axehelm. That's sounds great! We're not gonna fuss too much about the names of the cities. I like this one.

How about that big old castle in the middle: Castle Greenrich (or Greenrich by itself). Catchy and medieval enough I guess.

I like the idea of having many characters join together in the story. So, can a plot director give us an idea of who will be the main characters? Peasants? Kings? Farmers?

Posted Aug 3, '12 at 5:08pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

4,390 posts

Castle Greenrich (or Greenrich by itself). Catchy and medieval enough I guess.

No. This is the kind of castle with a bunch of bamf warriors in it, right? Let's call it Valholl (old norse for Valhalla)! All they'll end up being is a lot of dead men walking, after all. :D

Posted Aug 3, '12 at 8:03pm

ChillzMaster

ChillzMaster

1,482 posts

Let's call it Valholl

Eh, obvious symbolism is obvious. It's a neat idea, but I'm still a fan of "Castle Greenrich". "Valholl" sounds like we're lifting a wee bit too much from other stories and myths.

There's nothing wrong with incorporating elements from mythology, but cleverness will captivate.

-Chillz

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 10:41am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,417 posts

Ehhhhhh.

Names :|

Axehelm makes us sound like we are all warriors. Greenrich sounds like a farm.

After looking up a few names, I like Tavolauris. I say again, since this is a community thing, that there be a vote. Axehelm, Greenrich, or Tavolauris.

OR. Wo could have multiple cities, each having that name.

Also, each name could go to a city that would represent that part of the forum, instead of one big ole castle. I realize this is backtracking from the other idea, but if you want to make it a bigger area without having such a small castle, then the subsections for forums could be cities instead.

Now the main characters can be any of those things, it just depends on the writer. This isn't an official thread (at least in my eyes) so a writer could post stuff and then the editors and other come dissect it and then we have an official thread with which to post official parts of the story.

@ Oreo, not everyone is a bamf warrior.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 11:43am

acmed

acmed

3,561 posts

No. This is the kind of castle with a bunch of bamf warriors in it, right? Let's call it Valholl (old norse for Valhalla)! All they'll end up being is a lot of dead men walking, after all. :D

....I LIKE CASTLE GREENRICH.

Axehelm makes us sound like we are all warriors. Greenrich sounds like a farm.

Axehelm will have a lot warriors... What's everyone's problem with Greenrich?

that there be a vote. Axehelm, Greenrich, or Tavolauris.

I just suggested Greenrich as the city's castle, not the city. The city itself will be voted for Axehelm and Tavolauris. I myself choose Axehelm.

Unless you want the change the castle name too?

OR. Wo could have multiple cities, each having that name.

...That would make a very large setting, wouldn't it?

Also, each name could go to a city that would represent that part of the forum, instead of one big ole castle. I realize this is backtracking from the other idea, but if you want to make it a bigger area without having such a small castle, then the subsections for forums could be cities instead.

A city named after a Support and Suggestions sub forum. Think about that. Wouldn't that be hard to translate?

Now the main characters can be any of those things, it just depends on the writer. This isn't an official thread (at least in my eyes) so a writer could post stuff and then the editors and other come dissect it and then we have an official thread with which to post official parts of the story.

The editors were to do that anyways, but should we still have a clear entry on the characters? Because we just changed the setting again.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 1:31pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

...That would make a very large setting, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily.
Also, if you guys are going to do it right, you should probably consider the entire setting and environment anyway, so naming surrounding cities, towns and other areas would probably be recommended in the long run.

As for your naming trouble, wouldn't it be better to consider what you are naming (and where it it placed)? Not that you should consider this before you have out-lined a bit of the plot anyway, but still?
After all, most, if not all, older cities are named after what they are/contain, who lived there, what it was near, what its purpose was and so on. They were practical, them namers...
For example, while the symbolism is all well with Valhalla/Valholl, it does assume we are speaking about a hall, rather than a castle. Valborg would be more fitting, then, even if it's a pretty bad name for anyone that knows that song about the whale, but still.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 1:37pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

A city named after a Support and Suggestions sub forum. Think about that. Wouldn't that be hard to translate?

Well, I put the word "Support" into Google translate and it came out Firmamentum Which sounds close to a city name for me.

I just suggested Greenrich as the city's castle, not the city. The city itself will be voted for Axehelm and Tavolauris. I myself choose Axehelm.

I prefer Tavolauris myself.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 1:38pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

Well, I put the word "Support" into Google translate and it came out Firmamentum Which sounds close to a city name for me.

I forgot to say, I translated it into Latin if you're wondering.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 5:08pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,417 posts

Well, You see how the AMW / Gaming is called the Forge? Or Courtyard, whatever. That's what I was getting at. Not like one castle with everyone here in it. That's like a million peeps, yo.

Large settings are good, gooooood. Maps are freaking awesome in books. It gives more of that fantasy mindset, ya knows.

Do I need to draw an ugly sketch of this stuff going on in my head again? :<

Firmamentum sounds pretty cool actually, lol.

Expanding on my city idea, Axehelm or whatever could be the warriors of AG, the WEPR kids. Greenrich could be the newb area (cool) And Tavolauris could be AMW, or something like that. Each name for each area. Or it could be one medium sized country with provinces, you knows.

A plot? Well I usually start with the conflict, and create a backstory from that for the beginning, and finish with the end of the story..

Why don't we formulate ideas that we can present into a voting fashion, all in one bigass post? As in...

Setting:
A. Countries
B. Cities
C. Castle

Main Character
A. Multiple MC's
B. Peasant
C. Warrior
D. Farmer
E. King/Queen

Conflict
A. War
B. etc, all I know for conflict is war
C. OH WAIT IF WE GO WITH THE SPACE IDEA WE COULD USE AN INVASION THING
D. ****, that's war. u_u

And then after we tally up those votes, we get more detailed into the voting things, and present it to the writers who then get writing on stuff that will please the mass.

Democracy 8D

Or Acmed and I could tell you to shut up and write until you get what pleases us.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 5:23pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

Conflict

Wouldn't it be:
Person vs. Person
Person vs. Society
Person vs. Self
etcetera, etcetera,

Couldn't we also have a sub plot of infighting in Axehelm/WEPR because they're always arguing in real-time?

Reply to The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

You must be logged in to post a reply!