Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 11:30pm

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

Not sure if there is still an open writer's spot, but, if there is one there, I'd take it.

You're welcome to join as a writer! Did you read everything we have so far?

And so far the winning castle name is Variantia. It translates from Latin to "differences" or "diversity" due to all of our varying personalities.

@Chillz, the names runner upped in voting are the outer province names.

Again, what is the country name?

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 2:24am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,230 posts

Variantia seems to be the lead for the name of the Castle, which is appropriate, if we only have one castle. Diversity~~~~~

And I've never played, but Acmed said Dragons and Land feuds, so I said goodies turn bad and baddies get worse. Feel free to say anything else concerning the plot, nothing is set in stone!

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 11:39am

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

http://i.imgur.com/JMc0j.png

This is the finished map. The country is Obleyn, and the provinces are the runner up names. We have a setting now guys!

Now, onto main characters...

I think there should be 3 or 4 to start with mainly. Each in a different part of the province. They all meet up eventually. I was thinking a low class farmer, a prince, and a warrior. We could add one more. What do you guys think?

And, the war with the dragons. Do you guys want to keep that?

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 12:45pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

601 posts

I think there should be 3 or 4 to start with mainly. Each in a different part of the province. They all meet up eventually. I was thinking a low class farmer, a prince, and a warrior. We could add one more. What do you guys think?

I like these but I also think we should add one with a bit more flexibility in the character development, say maybe, a messenger? Someone who delivers important messages. Actually, now that I think about it, he would have great use in dragging the other three together, or at least a little guidance.

And, the war with the dragons. Do you guys want to keep that?

Sure.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 5:25pm

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

a messenger?

I think a messenger would be more of a reccuring role, but yes, that is a good way to bring them together. I believe Chillz is writing the first chapter. Does everyone agree on the characters? If so, LEZ NAME DEM!

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 6:03pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

I was thinking a low class farmer, a prince, and a warrior

Too cliche. Nobody ever has criminals in these kinds of stories, hunters are rare, bounty hunters and low level officers, competitive marksmen and jousters, all things we could pick from, and much more. I think we should avoid the cliche as best we can.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 6:29pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I think a messenger would be more of a reccuring role, but yes, that is a good way to bring them together.

The City of Ember tried this for a main character and it kind of fell apart. The book wasn't bad, but you could tell there was a lot more potential. In the beginning they made it so prominent that she become a messenger. It didn't really matter later on; it was inevitable of what was going to happen.

Ah... The stuff I remember from children's books.

Not participating; just a little FYI.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 6:43pm

ChillzMaster

ChillzMaster

1,357 posts

Well I'm gonna start writing the first bit. Click the link here to check out mah progress and confirm a few ideas.

I think I have a pretty good foundation to write ^_^

-Chillz

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 6:51pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

Well I'm gonna start writing the first bit

Not yet, yo. We still don't have characters. Hold the horses at the gate until everyone says go.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 7:02pm

ChillzMaster

ChillzMaster

1,357 posts

Growl. Alright.

Here's what I've compiled:

Start out with who-gives-one (but not in a ****** way) merc fighting belligerents from the Tekko-Joust Ruins (Video Game thread ruins). His entire camp and team is destroyed, so he decides to find more work in the central castle.

-Chillz

Reply to The Community Novel Project (anyone's welcome!)

You must be logged in to post a reply!