ForumsWEPR"french are coward who always surrender" -_-

63 20586
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

well, firstly, im not french.

now, why the american public {and alot of other [non-french] western public start to belive that hte french are cowerds who always surrender?
for exmple, i just saw "that 70' show" {preety old, i know, but whatever i love it}. in one episode, red decline to sell there house to a french couple, because "they will give it to the first germans they will see".
and there is more in almost every other USA shows.

does no one remmember Napoleon? in the first world war, they won the war. there army was the one who fought in all the frontiers. in the second world war, the 'surrendered' after them and the british armies as lost.

so why peopels? why?

• 63 Replies
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Fair enough. But how many of those troops came from those other countries versus the over 100,000 troops that Canada, the US, and Great Britain provided?

I think that shouldn't be taken in notice. Let's say there are 3 countries, let's name them A B C and Villian. A B and C are at war with Villian. So A sends out 100.000 troops (out of the 1000.000 Soldiers) country B send 60.000 (out of the 600.000 Soldiers) and country C sends out 2000 (out of 3000 Soldiers). Then country A had the strongest force but they didn't put as much effort in the war as country B of C. So numbers don't matter much.

btw country Villian was defeated in this war.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I think that shouldn't be taken in notice. Let's say there are 3 countries, let's name them A B C and Villian. A B and C are at war with Villian. So A sends out 100.000 troops (out of the 1000.000 Soldiers) country B send 60.000 (out of the 600.000 Soldiers) and country C sends out 2000 (out of 3000 Soldiers). Then country A had the strongest force but they didn't put as much effort in the war as country B of C. So numbers don't matter much.

generally the more troops you commit, the more you contribute, governments generally don't want to be feeding and giving ammo and whatnot to troops that aren't doing anything.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

generally the more troops you commit, the more you contribute

his point is that a small country can't contribute as much as a large country but can have more commitment. as a larger % of the countrys military is participating.

btw has any1 mentioned already that 50% of the usa failed their mission during d-day. ?
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

btw has any1 mentioned already that 50% of the usa failed their mission during d-day. ?

BTW did you know the Atlantic wall was one of the most fortified defensive positions during the war, if it wasn't for Hitler thinking the allies would land elsewhere, it would be near impenetrable
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Just wanted to add that they did make a very decent defense against the germans in WW2, except tje Germans just went round it.

It really wasn't. They marched their troops deep into Belgium(along with the entirety of the British Expeditionary force) expecting the Germans to do the exact same thing they did in WWI. They assumed the Maginot line was impenetrable and that the Germans would not be able to take their tanks through the Ardennes. They did. The french were overconfident
It wasn't a decent defence, it was greatly flawed.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

BTW did you know the Atlantic wall was one of the most fortified defensive positions during the war, if it wasn't for Hitler thinking the allies would land elsewhere, it would be near impenetrable
I believe that the generals in command at Normandy wanted the defenses there and they even tried after it started, but they couldn't because Hitler was taking his nap.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I believe that the generals in command at Normandy wanted the defenses there and they even tried after it started, but they couldn't because Hitler was taking his nap.

what? it was because Hitler was adamant they would land elsewhere (i forget where) but they did try to make more defenses in Normandy, but they weren't finished/didn't have enough before the allies landed
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

what? it was because Hitler was adamant they would land elsewhere (i forget where) but they did try to make more defenses in Normandy, but they weren't finished/didn't have enough before the allies landed
The germans thought the attack would come at the narrowest part of the channel during good weather, not the widest during bad weather.

p.s. source for last comment, Hogan's Heroes d-day episode, although i thought i saw it somewhere else.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

British fooled Germans into thinking that they will attack from somewhere else(can't remember from where) and Germans had moved considerable number of troops there.

jt25rox
jt25rox
332 posts
Peasant

British fooled Germans into thinking that they will attack from somewhere else(can't remember from where) and Germans had moved considerable number of troops there.

i forget the name too but the place was closer to england by like 50miles or somethong. Rommel actually told hitler to mover the panzer division to normandy but hitler refused. If we landed were the germans predicted us to we would have been annihlated to the last man. the defense there were stronger than anything that we could penetrate. The landing would have been worse than iwo jima
ortiz62
ortiz62
2 posts
Nomad

French never won anything in world war II

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

French never won anything in world war II

General De Gaulle was instrumental in conquering France, (I read somewhere he got the Vichy to surrender). Also, if the french hadn't wasted all there money on the Maginot line, and instead on more mobile forces, they might have done better.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

what is a french civil war doing in belgium?
i believe the queen of France was Belgian so after the king (and possibly the queen) were executed (losing them the war) Belgium came along and won the war, meaning that the rebels didn't win either meaning that they lost a war with themselves, well played France well play NOT

~manly man
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

General De Gaulle was instrumental in conquering France, (I read somewhere he got the Vichy to surrender). Also, if the french hadn't wasted all there money on the Maginot line, and instead on more mobile forces, they might have done better.

the french may not have been good tacticians, but they had Espirit De corps, at least in WWI they did, charging machineguns wearing flash clothing...
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i believe the queen of France was Belgian so after the king (and possibly the queen) were executed (losing them the war) Belgium came along and won the war, meaning that the rebels didn't win either meaning that they lost a war with themselves, well played France well play NOT

then they lost from the belgiums not from themself.
Showing 46-60 of 63