ForumsWEPRPitbulls

12 3864
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

this is a discussion on Pitbulls, the reason it's in this forum and not another is because of the hatred for them that many share.

dispite popular belief Pitbulls are some of the best natured animals that you can own, they are loyal protective and very tolerant, i have 2 pitbulls and one of them you can just go up to and just squish and pull on her legs etc. and she'll just lay there

~manly man

• 12 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Must be because they are popular for dog fights and we seem them often mentioned on the news hurting other animals and even attacking people, so others will believe that they are all dangerous. They aren't, it depends on how you raise them. Any dog can be raised to be aggressive.

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

I have a Westie that tries to maul me daily! Of course, she fails horrendously (it's quite adorable). It all depends on how the dog is raised

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

They are not the prettiest, smartest, fastest, or most tolerant breed.

I myself want to get a Border Collie, but they're kind of hyper. I don't know what cross-breed I'd need to have a dog with the same basic coloring and intelligence without the hyperactivity.

Anyway, the overall media image of the pitbull, crossed with the fact it looks like it came out of Dwarves dabbling in genetic mutation, all adds to the fact people don't like pitbulls. I don't mind them, they're funny enough. Cute as puppies, but aren't all dogs?

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It's a dog. That's my opinion. It all depends on how you raise them. I don't want one though, I don't like how they look.

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

weak people make weak assumptions on things they think are weaker than them

thats when they get hurt

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

There have been several incidents with pitbulls attacking and sometimes killing people (usually children). This is why some think pitbulls are like that by nature. But as the others already said, it only depends on how well the dog has been raised and trained. This is also what experts say.

Since some time it is now obligatory for dog owners in my country to visit a certain number of training courses with their dogs. I think it really makes sense, and will profit both owner and dog even if none of them are aggressive.

Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

Dont like them i think there crazy horrible things that should be extinct

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

You know what mycal as soon as I get ahold of a computer I will show you a pic that I took myself of 2 of the most lovable dogs you can find

~manly man

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Dont like them i think there crazy horrible things that should be extinct

And I think you should go extinct as well. Would you mind doing that for us? I would greatly appreciate it, and I think many others will as well.

I have a pure bred and two mixes. Best dogs in the world. Our pure bred is intelligent, beautiful, tolerant (even of other dogs), loves people, obedient, and is probably the most patient dog alive. She'll sit there staring at me for hours while I watch TV or play a game, just waiting to be called up into my lap. Our female mix is a bit guard dog like, but she's never bitten anybody intentionally (though she's the strongest, so when she does bite digits and chunks of flesh tend to fly). She's probably the most loyal dog I've ever had, and is like our mama bear. The male mix is a big white polar bear, mixed with lab and has probably the meanest bark in all creation yet that's about as far as his aggression goes. He's never bitten anybody, intentionally or not, though he does have a high prey drive.

Those are my pits and mixes.
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Pitbulls are big, muscular dogs, so they are used for dogfights, which is why they have a bad reputation. But it has already been said, it's about how they were raised. They might look mean, but that doesn't mean they are.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

i got this from facebook so i don't know weather or not it'll show but here are the dogs i was talking about in my last post
and someone said that they aren't all that cute, this will prove you wrong too, although neither are pure bread, one is part Rhodesian Ridgeback and the other (we think) is part (a little bit, not much) mastiff

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/37983_147239375288261_5157736_a.jpg

~manly man

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

First off pit bull is a rather generic term for a number of dog breeds. The studies that indicate their aggression search media new stories for reported attacks. The problem here is such a study doesn't take into account unreported attack, it could further miss relevant reported attacks and the reports could be misidentifying the breed. This last one could end up skewing the results more as time goes on since people get it in their head that the pit bull is dangerous and as a result get's blamed more often. Another thing that this method of study doesn't seem to be taking into account is that many owners of such breeds have a higher chance of having criminal convictions compared to owners of other "low risk" breeds. This would put into question the overall up bringing of many pit bulls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Attacks_on_Humans

Showing 1-12 of 12