ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233284
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

well by a few changes I meant that I did not entirely draw the images from scratch rather ran it through a series of filters,color adjustments, layer effects...composition with simple shapes combined with filters and textures can yield different possibilities...in essence photo-manipulations of old art setting a new composition renders, thats what i meant by a few changes I didn't spend so much time sketching, coloring, inking, shading, painting...etc to get a brand new shape. I think photo manipulations are rather easy and less disiplined then traditional methods of drawing/painting

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Oh, you guys are running it along? Nice enough, good to see it hasn't gone to waste.
Some notes, though. I don't particularly care how you run it, since you are not me, and I can't run it anymore anyway, so, yeah. It would probably be appropriate to make a post on some of the smaller things, though, what you will be looking for, how judgings are weighted and so on, so forth.
I will, however, be sad if the quality of the judgings keep on like this. Consider that the only thing this contest gives are critiques and points to improvement, while testing yourself against others. So, obviously some constructive critiques would be highly appropriate. More so, if it pleases the high mod Gantic, good quality judgings could give you back the merit award for the time being. So, at the very least voice why you chose a picture over the others, and perhaps how they others could improve.
Any and all art that is entered in this contest HAS to be draw specifically for the round. This is not one of my subjective rules, it's in the rules of the contest. It's to make sure everyone has equal time and chances, at least in theory. This means, simply retouching an image, including something to it, changing the colour scheme or otherwise, you know, not actually drawing the entire image for the round would disqualify the image from winning.

On a personal note, I learned something from the poltergeist round that will be important here: If you are going to pick images specifically from whether or not they have something included, no matter how they do so, specify it when you choose the theme. Excluding images because they have text without saying that this will very likely cost anyone that adds text the chance of winning is rather unfair.
Especially when the text is an integrated part of the image, and not simply added for context or explaining the art.
Try taking a look around your room. If you can do so without seeing any text or symbols of any kind, then fine. But most of us won't be able to do so, and if we drew our rooms, we would have to add said text. Titles of books, dvds, games, the brand of TV or computer or what do I know.
But anyway, it's a learning thing.

Otherwise, it's, as mentioned, nice to see it's still running and that people were interested enough to keep it going. Good job, everyone, would crit stuff, but I think I used up my typing for today.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

So how are you guys holding up? Sorry I couldn't make it for the Secrets round... I was in a holiday in Hainan, China and just came back. The funny thing is that I had actually drawn the artwork for that round but before could not upload it in time due to the departue being on that day...

By the way, I feel that artwork should not be penalised just because "It had text in it" but rather, judged on how the text is used.

For example, if I would write a poem that fits very well with the drawing, it would be awesome.

Anyways, here is my submission for this round's theme. (I hope the amount of blood in it will not cause any issues...)

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/SLANDAMEN_zps14321008.png

Inspired by Killersup's Slendy last time lol

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I will, however, be sad if the quality of the judgings keep on like this.

I know Cen. Mine was horrible. But I was super busy and knew that I wouldn't have time. I didn't want to make people wait a few weeks. I feel bad, but I did what was best.
The funny thing is that I had actually drawn the artwork for that round but before could not upload it in time

Can we still see it? Even though it would not count I like looking at good art.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

An update on judging:

Text
Text is allowed to a degree, but if it becomes the prominent part of an image (i.e. solely needed to explain), you're not going to get very good marks. If the current theme is a bit vague and text is almost required in some way, shape or form (i.e. paranoia), then the judging will be slightly more lenient. Please keep in mind that even with a vague theme, you still need to make the image clear enough not to have text to explain it. If text is there to improve the way the image reflects the theme, it's clearly a good thing.

Ready-made images
Your image MUST be brand new if you plan on submitting it. NO EXCEPTIONS. Every part of it must be made completely from scratch. This is Cen's choosing, and because he is the competition's creator and head-runner, I must respect his decision and stand by it. If your image was made previously, your image will be disqualified. If you repeatedly try to submit ready-made images, you risk being disqualified from the ASC for a very long time, if not forever. Don't risk it. All ready-made images and users who submitted ready-made images will receive amnesty.

Size
Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version. -Cen
This rule is frequently disregarded, but it is important nevertheless. When I judge an image, I must be able to see the entire image at one time, or it won't be fair. It is your responsibility to resize your own images and post links to the normal-sized image. Open source downloaders are not allowed. If I'm forced to judge an image by downloading it, your image will be disqualified.

I am available to talk any time on my profile.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Paranoia

is this going to be the closest theme to horror? Killersup would enjoy knowing,for he has a idea,but he would rather keep it for the horror theme if there will be one....
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

is this going to be the closest theme to horror? Killersup would enjoy knowing,for he has a idea,but he would rather keep it for the horror theme if there will be one....

Considering Halloween will occur during the next theme, it'd be a good guess that the next theme will have something to do with horror.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Considering Halloween will occur during the next theme, it'd be a good guess that the next theme will have something to do with horror.

Okay,thanks sal.This makes matters more difficult,oh well.plenty of other things to draw....
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Can we still see it? Even though it would not count I like looking at good art.

Haha... But its still unfinished lol, and it sucks horribly.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Here ya go anyways, haven't had the heart to finish it but since you asked nicely...

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/****_zps3c968814.png

Just placed the gradient overlay to at least make it look better...

Anyways, I feel that my image for this round is little too large... So, I hope you guys would accept this one that I resized

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/SLENDER_zpsd35015ac.png

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Uh... my bad

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/****_zps3c968814.png

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

I swear... Something is wrong.... Sorry for quadraple postings. But if the image does not properly show this time, I'm going to cry.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/****_zps620cfe5d.png

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

But if the image does not properly show this time, I'm going to cry.

Here is a tissue. *gives tissue*
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Your URL has an explicit in it. The filter won't let it show. Change the title of the image. If you don't want to, them switch your album to public and I'll get it for you. It's not like it's a submission or anything.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Here is a tissue. *gives tissue*

Thanks, but its not enough... My tears keeps on flowing... sniffs sniffs sobs...

Anyways, i changed the title. I hope if shows up now. Anyways, the picture is bad and i shall feel bad about it. (Its unfinished)

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/Stuff_zps2b08a46d.png
Showing 211-225 of 565