ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233183
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
lC4l
lC4l
221 posts
Nomad

Wow, it definitely was a horrible way to die, and I enjoyed how the ends of limbs were cut off, as posed by the theme, horrific ends. The fact that the dead man was lying upon a cross was a hint towards something, and the obvious relation would be to Jesus Christ. However, it didn't help your image as much as it could because the two aren't like one another in any other way. I could decipher what everything was, including the remote, which was obviously used to activate the blades to end the ends of the man's limbs. The standing man glared at his victim, which posed a feeling of paranoia as the man is still out there, questing to quench is lust for death. The color scheme was simple, as only a few colors were needed, and it made it creepy as well as cold, because there was little contrast, other than the red blood.

Actually, the cross was just there... no reference to Jesus or anyone...

Also, the "remote" was actually a blowtorch... you know, to cauterize the wounds, to cause a very painful, very slow death. Which, in my opinion, would be the most horrific end.

For the blades: If you look in front of the feet stumps, you'll notice cut marks made by the blades, indicating that it gradually inches up the body.

Blowtorch example:
http://englishinteractive.net/IMAGES/blowtorch.jpg
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

wow, I thought I would be last place...

And I did kinda think of bowman, but not BOOM, HEADSHOT!

I got an idea in the making for this one... heh heh heh...

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Authority... I think I can work with that.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad
kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

Cause I'm addicted to Red Dead Redemption currently:
http://i.imgur.com/yoxbn.png

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

So will Killersup be judging this week, or is he still in training?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So will Killersup be judging this week, or is he still in training?

You're still in training. Cen didn't tell you that? Oops... At any rate, I'll get some more stuff for you to judge and maybe, if you do well, you'll be judging in 2 or 3 rounds.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Cen hasn't told anyone anything, because Cen hasn't been online all weekend and ironically just got on now in time to see this.
But yeah, you kinda have to prove you got it, not just say you did and then go on to judge. Like, I don't know, getting a Master's degree, where you use two years on making papers on how you totally understand the classes you went to, and then write a thesis to further prove it and then get a job, where you check in books for people. I mean, judge art for this contest.

Anyway, I have to say one thing on the former judging, and I will ask you to all be patient with this and sorry it seems weird, but... The shapeshifters in my head got rather offended that you called one of them a dragon. They do not appreciate being associated or compared to dragons, as they are not dragons, even if they might look a bit like them. Also, "What made you think that? Was it the big wings? The scales? The slit pupil? The whole 'being made out of physical flesh?'" to quote the one from the picture. Also, he does believe it is like calling human beings 'tadpoles fresh out of the water', which is understandable somewhat, but doesn't make any sense to anyone but me anyway.
So... I guess you shouldn't do that, should I ever draw a shifter again...?
I don't know what the point was either, but what do I know, I am just sending the message along.

Anyway.
For this theme, which I am going to draw for, out of sheer procrastination and not doing my papers, I am going to co with yet another picture no one but me will get. However, without shifters this time around.
But, eh, not now.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Anyway, I have to say one thing on the former judging, and I will ask you to all be patient with this and sorry it seems weird, but... The shapeshifters in my head got rather offended that you called one of them a dragon. They do not appreciate being associated or compared to dragons, as they are not dragons, even if they might look a bit like them. Also, "What made you think that? Was it the big wings? The scales? The slit pupil? The whole 'being made out of physical flesh?'" to quote the one from the picture. Also, he does believe it is like calling human beings 'tadpoles fresh out of the water', which is understandable somewhat, but doesn't make any sense to anyone but me anyway.
So... I guess you shouldn't do that, should I ever draw a shifter again...?
I don't know what the point was either, but what do I know, I am just sending the message along.

To be honest, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. After reading the thing Zoph linked about the shapeshifter, I did kind of feel like the awards were handed out a little early, and I probably should have done some extra homework to find out what the shapeshifter was. Because of my overly enthusiastic stupidity with judging, I'll be sure to make sure what each piece is saying before I slap a judging on it. From my previous experience, I had learned that art should be drawn to certain specifications so that anyone who knows nothing about anything (like me) can take a glance at the piece and figure out hat it is. Now, Cen, if I haven't completely lost you yet, you can draw shapeshifters and any other concoctions you can think of and I'll do my best to figure out your mental poop...

...Wait, that's Gantic's job.

You know what I mean, I hope.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Indeed. And, well, the drawing itself is meta. The shifters are mainly meta because they are at least self aware when roaming my headspace (which allows them to rant at me...), which is not that often.

But, well, look forward to the Authority one, because it's going to be weird and... Weird, just weird. And my only idea, so hurray for that.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

But yeah, you kinda have to prove you got it

I didn't feel like I proved anything. You just were happy that I was being nice enough to judge for you. Am I special?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I didn't feel like I proved anything. You just were happy that I was being nice enough to judge for you. Am I special?

Well... Nobody else would judge... and you've judged the haiku contest a few times.

All in all, you weren't that bad.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

. and you've judged the haiku contest a few times.

I don't think I have. Can you show me if I did?
All in all, you weren't that bad.

Pretty much like I said, I didn't really have time and didn't want people to wait. So it was worse then what I could have done.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't think I have. Can you show me if I did?

You didn't? I could have sworn you did. So, this was the only competition you've judged? That seems unlikely, to be honest.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3p97mx/
Pretty much like I said, I didn't really have time and didn't want people to wait. So it was worse then what I could have done.

A lot of people could have done worse. At least you judged on time and said something useful.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I think I will just sit here and whine about this being a hard theme for me to draw, and that it is due to the theme being bad, and not just me sucking at putting my ideas on paper.
Though said idea involved the Government, so it might have been a bad idea anyway, since an entire count of two other people might have been aware what was going on, and no one else would know why.

Instead I will present another stupid idea I could actually draw, and hope there is something better under wraps next round, because this is frustrating.
Of course, this other idea will first be presented when I have scanned it in sometime tomorrow, because I am lazy, and it's late, and I am just using this opportunity to ramble, as I often do when I should have been sleeping an hour and a half ago.

It will have headspace shenanigans. And shifters. And my characters being idiots.
It will be marvellous.

Showing 256-270 of 565