ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233208
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/img031.jpg

Sometimes I honestly feel like my characters have no respect for me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Submissions won't be allowed after 6 PM AG time tomorrow.

To find out AG time, leave a comment on your own profile. The time stamps go by AG time.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

So my submission this week isn't what I intended to submit. It just fit so well with the theme that I decided to go with it.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/BronzeCAE09/throne-1.jpg

It's a draugr(?) from Skyrim. I saw the little guy sitting on the throne with all the creepy lighting, and I knew had to draw it. So I took a picture, and after several months I finally drew it yesterday. I could've cropped it out, but I love scribbley lines too much.

I'll post what I had intended to submit in my art thread if you're interested.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Despite there only being 4 submissions, I wanted to pose a theme that would make the artist think. I didn't expect too many submissions at all. For what there was, each piece was interesting in its own way, as they all held a different feel of their own but had the authority theme somewhere in the pic. (No runner-up due to lack of submissions, just so ya know)
-
Winner: thepunisher93
Yeah, I know that was unexpected. After a lot of contemplating and deciding on whether reflection of theme or general artistic skill should be weighed more heavily, I decided that keeping the original theme would be more important, and no one did it better than thepunisher. It's a judge, and in his sitting, he resembles the stature of a king because he his sitting at an uneven perspective to make him look higher up. It's his choice what shall be and won't be. It's his decision of whether you are free to go or if you are to die. The ultimate authority comes from those who are above you, and the slant of the entire image plays a mind trick to make the viewer feel like the judge is higher up. On his table thepunisher placed everything the judge would ever need, and shaded them to make them stand out, because, after all, what is a judge without his tools? The portrait behind him provides a feeling of legacy. There were judges before him, and there will be judges after him. As for the more artistic side, a monochromatic black-and-white color scheme is all that was needed to show the judge, and, frankly, color probably wouldn't have helped all too much because it would take away the dramatic feel of the judges yes-or-no power. In other words, the judge's decision is black and white. His prominent stare over his disciples displays the ultimate stare of authority, which the way the eyes are squinted.
-
Cenere
A hilarious depiction of what I imagine is Cen's mind. Inside his mind he has all of his shenanigous little creatures, and none of them pay any attention to what he says... or in this case, thinks. The creatures are drawn to show body parts not shown in a portrait, such as the behind of the thing on the chair, to resemble the chaos inside his mind. Each creature stands out on its own and could definitely be the focal point of any image because they are all interesting because they are unique. The black and white shapeshifters balance the image out, because the darker one is on the left side and the white one is on the right. This method plays off the rule of thirds and helps pinpoint the focal point towards Cenere, who is, after all, the main subject. The chaos and rebelliousness are confirmed by Cenere's statement to the deer on top of his head as well as his finger shaking rapidly; he is definitely mad. I felt color could have helped the image pop out a bit more, and some background around the characters would give it a much deeper feeling. In other words, small details help the characters have their own little backstory.
-
kacboy
I love that game, so I had a bit more difficulty judging it because I needed to feel it from the perspective of the kid who hasn't played it. It could easily reflect that of any officer. The badge stands out on the officer's jacket because of the excellent contrast in colors. The individual pixels deserve an achievement all in their own, because your use in stippling made that image come alive! Each little detail is made of its own pixel. The pixelized officer in the wild west is kind of a contradiction, because, well, the wild west occurred a hundred years ago, and we haven't had pixels for very long. It was interesting seeing the two come together. Despite the charming use of pixels, I wish there was more to it. Sure, the officer is an authority figure, and he isn't really showing much authority. He's just pointing his gun. If he were, say, arresting someone, the image would have a more wholesome feel. I wish it had more...
-
Bronze
Certainly not coming in last, we have Bronze's draugr sitting upon its throne, in its deep, dark cave. He is sitting, looking depressed, with the shading of his body making his head appear like its tilted downwards. I live the detail you put into it. The lighting fixtures stood out well enough for me to see them, and the flames blended in with the back wall brilliantly. I love the soft pencil you used along the outside, and then the harder pencil you used for the inside. From the focal point of the draugr and out, the squiggles continue to get looser and looser, as they get darker and darker. That was a fantastic way to keep my eye on the lighted room where the draugr was. The only real problem I had was the squiggles; there were just too darn many. If you were to shade in a way so the seeds matched up with cave walls, it would've looked absolutely phenomenal. The squiggles also take away from the immersive detail you put into daugr. Other than that, excellent work around the bright focal point.
--------------------------------------------------------
The next theme will be Futuristic Technologies and will be due Sunday, November 18. Any questions? Feel free to visit my profile, as always.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Most of them have fairly large backstories. I think minideer is the only one entirely without one, as he is a very small deer that has taken residence in my headspace, and that is pretty much it.
Anyway, colour was too much work, because I would have had to ink it then. It's also a pencil, not my finger. I don't tap parts of myself when annoyed, it would cause too much destruction. And the headspace doesn't really have a setting besides the arm chair, since it's, well, a headspace. Imagination given metaphysics.
The danger of drawing headspace stuff, I assume.

So, to continue this horrible string of drawing stuff no one gets, I think it's time for an illustrated Govermission.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I usually keep my mouth shut-Ah whatever, you judge however you want. In relation to my piece, I have a strong love for squiggles, scribbles, messy lines, stray lines, whatever else. I'm going to keep drawing squiggles forever! (muhaha)

And I love the new theme.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Was the judging faulty? Or are you guys kidding? I can't tell. If it's needed, we can go over and appeal any judging faults you guys noticed.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I am not saying anything about the judging, I am just pointing out stuff.
It doesn't change anything, because I could just as well have drawn something else that actually made sense instead of headspace stuff.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

You judge very well Sal, and if you think punisher won because he was the only one to stick with the theme that's fine.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

he was the only one to stick with the theme

Isn't that kind of the point about having a theme?
If you were to make a theme "Kings" and someone went off and drew a couch, it'd be ridicule if they won.

Anyhow; no discredit to the winner; but if I was judging, I would've picked a different winner,
And each artist interprets every theme differently so sometimes the judge may not relate as how the artist strung it in with the theme.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

That theme.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/golem.jpg
I give you Golem. Or "Who the hell gave the wizards technology?! (I will find them and kill them with a spoon)".
Look, colours.
Look, ruined wrist AND sleep.

but if I was judging, I would've picked a different winner,

I am a bit curious as to who you would have let win, and why.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Wont' hold up a candle to the Golem, but I still tried
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/317/7/3/satisfaction_by_ninjaslug-d5kv18k.png

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I am a bit curious as to who you would have let win, and why.

I'll email it to you, if you want wouldn't want to post it here, for obvious reasons.

So, I've got an okay-ish idea for this theme, but I'm a bit burdened with school work this week, so I don't know if I'll get it done in time.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Sigh... Had been MIA for like 2 weeks... Xcom: Enemy Unknown was hell of a drug.

Anyways, about the previous judging, i kinda agree with Ghost there... But that doesn't mean the person would win if he were to prodduce a technically skilled artwork but sway far away from the theme.

Like example, if the theme would to be "Kings" and if a person would to draw a sexy robotic armored princess battletoad in a very artistic way, I personally won't think that would win for the round...

Anyways... I'm gonna love this new theme alot...

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

its badly drawn but who cares!
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/320/9/6/teleporters_by_hectichermit-d5l8ep7.png

Showing 271-285 of 565