ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233226
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

First time judging, letâs see how this goes.

WINNER: Cenere.
The bright polished looks of the golem shows tones of futuristic technology that modern scientist only wish to perfect. You probably already noticed this, but it made the viewerâs eyes move from right to left and then up and above searching for the next interesting thing that you drew. The angel boy (?) and human were a nice touch; they helped show off just how ânewâ the robot was. The bright, brilliant colors helped to separate the different bits and pieces of the robot that could have been miss-understood. The colors really stood out through the whole picture, well done. It could have been improved if you would have taken out the first layering of darkness around the city. It makes it look like the city is being lifted up by some weird mound of earth. Also, for the robot looking so magnificent, the buildings almost seem to be on an angle with the picture. Overall, it was a great picture that was well worth first place.

ThoadtheToad: You were the only one to really think more about a futuristic building then a robot. That made your entry special. Killersup really liked your space-ship and space home (?)The home was well made, the fact that it is exploding makes it even better. The movement in the picture really helps the viewer to imagine the scene inside the picture. The floating pieces of ship and the smoke could have been done a little better. The smoke rising seems to block out parts of the best thing about your picture, the flames. The broken off pieces of floating rubble just seems to get in the way, maybe if they were positioned better than it would look a little better. At the bottom of the picture, the ring got confusing to follow around the corner. Now to get to the good parts about your picture. The flame was well mixed together to form that kind of light, fiery fire that every artist aspires to have. Being able to see through the clouds allowed to viewer to both get the feel of the light, fluffy clouds, and the building as a whole. The ship was well made, but the other wing seems to have disappeared. Canât wait to see what you come up with next time.

ChromeDeathRazor: Lots of good, and lots of bad. Overall, itâs an average/decent drawing. Lots of detail was put into this, every last piece of armor was well drawn. You did great up to the arms. It seems like you got confused on where to go with them and ended up just trying to make everything fit. The joints and fingers seem crooked at a few parts. It seemed like you wanted to shade, then decided not to, then wanted to shade again. Bits and pieces seem to randomly be colored in deeper than other parts. Not too hard to fix though, as long as you have more time next entry you should be able to shade a bit better. The gun was well drawn; all the lines are nice and straight with all the parts of the gun matching up. You said you were rushed, so next time you can put in the tiny details that you left out, and fix the ones that were already pointed out to you. Good job though.

Bronze: Not horrible for a little sketch, but a few holes in it. After a while the second leg finally was found. The angle was weird, and the leg was hidden from the view of most people. The arms were not badly done, but the hands/fingers were almost impossible to correctly make out. They began all bunching together, next time try to space them out a little bit more. Also looking at a few professionally drawn hands will help you understand the concept. The main body was not horribly done; there was just enough detail to make it look good without the viewer feeling like they couldnât understand all the parts. The little details were what really tipped the scales for the picture.

Hectichermit: Without the words this would be extremely confusing. The squiggly lines over-lapping each other could quickly confuse the viewer. It would not be a bad sketch before the actual picture, but for the picture itself the picture was really light. It was hard to tell what was meant to go where. No idea what was on the right side of the picture, at all? Next time work on darkening it a little better so it is easier to understand, and letting the viewer be able to understand it without the words would greatly increase your drawing skills. Better luck next time.

Thatâs all Killersup could put together. If Cenere would like to choose the next theme, or allow Killersup to do it, is up to Cenere.

DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

If Daemon might suggest a theme: Fear

DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

Also, (sorry for the DP) killersup you were a wonderful judge. I would say for improvement to work on precision of language, and really descriding the different elemants of the art and why you judged them the way you did.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

First things first: You, as the judge, decide the theme. Because you are the one to judge it.

Before I get to the second, good with the judging done, then we might be able to move on with this contest, so thanks for that.
Second: You really do need to select your words a lot better. There are many lines in that judging that makes me cringe, because it sounds, if not rude, then at least very blunt. I am all for blunt, but only if the blunt has a reason to be there.
Fine examples, as paraphrased: "You sketch is too sketchy", "Your perspective works as it should, and I don't like it", "The way you make the shadows work are correct for the situation, but I am going to assume it's unintended and you shouldn't do that", "Better position that smoke better, I can't believe it's coming from the building on fire", so on, so forth.
And one example in particular, because that was just some kind of burn:

Also looking at a few professionally drawn hands will help you understand the concept.

Yes, surely he does not understand the concept of the hands, rather than then not being particularly important for the overall work of art.

And third, because there's nothing like correcting people about your characters and worlds:
The angel boy (?) and human were a nice touch; they helped show off just how ânewâ the robot was.

I don't get how it makes it look new, really, but anyway. The angel boy would be the human, Cen. Yes, that is Cen, yes, he has wings now, at least in this case, white clothing is the Government uniform. The - human, is a Sururrian (doesn't really matter) named Kai. These are pretty frequent guests in my art thread.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I got a good laugh from the hands thing. haha

And lets just get a theme, so we can get this going. Daemon, I like your suggestion for fear, but before this round we've sorta been on a string of fear related themes. I want something colorful and happy!

DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

Daemon, I like your suggestion for fear, but before this round we've sorta been on a string of fear related themes. I want something colorful and happy!

Considering Bronze's request, and also the upcoming holiday season, how about the theme: Family
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Considering Bronze's request, and also the upcoming holiday season, how about the theme: Family

Killersup can work on his wording. Anyhow, Family sounds like a decent starting theme. Thanks guys. Unless Sal comes back Killersup will judge this round too...

Round ends the eighteenth...of December.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I am starting to dislike where the themes are going... They are bothersome to be creative with.
Anyway, the least depressing idea I got.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/brother.jpg

Watched while listening to old Pokemon songs.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Alright, since you are the first to post since Killersup has decided upon the theme would you prefer something more exciting? Such as UN-natural?Pretty sure you can come up with something for this...

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I'd like to give this a shot. It sure would be nice for killersup to finalize the theme though. Is it family or un-natural. From all the forum stalking I did, it apears that its up to you.
I'm just making sure. I don't want to start something just for it to be the wrong theme.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

It is in concrete now. UN-natural.

Killersup was so happy when he saw that his judging did okay that he kinda just agreed with the first theme that was said...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Killersup was so happy when he saw that his judging did okay that he kinda just agreed with the first theme that was said...

This is why you, the judge are the one to make the decision when you are done with the round. You can't just go &quoteps, what do you want to draw??" and let others do the dirty job, because the judging won't be as good, if you are not confident, and more important to my situation: You might change your mind even after the first entries for the first theme tick in.

So, yes, wonderful, I will go make a new entry . . .
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

So, yes, wonderful, I will go make a new entry . . .

You sound so excited Cen, calm yourself.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Cenny my dear, everyone loves and needs your criticism, but you really are starting to sound disappointed and annoyed by how much these weird people ruined your creation, which is a little inappropriate considering it would have been dead and buried without them. Of course you are all free to ignore my voice since I stopped being a contribution to the contest months ago.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You sound so excited Cen, calm yourself.

Well, it was some three hours of work in the middle of the night dismissed for the chance to draw something natural to the United Nations. Which I am not entirely sure why you should think was more my style, I can't even get excited about national politics, so...

@Gabaloth: I always complain about the themes. I would complain about my own themes, if it wouldn't seem just a little mental to do so. It's a fine way to express my displeasure with what is actually my own inability to be instantly inspired by the theme at hand.
I do find it a little disappointing that the themes have been, at least slightly, limited and specific, but I am not the judge, thank goodness, and they should not let themselves be bullied into picking other themes, just because I didn't get an instant master piece idea when thinking up a concept.
I would probably complain whether the theme was "Lol, draw whatever you like
Showing 316-330 of 565