ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233212
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

gah hit the wrong button lol ment to link it but what I mean is theres a natural gradient to the sky, which is not in your image.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for the suggestions Hec. I know I need to fix the sky, but I'm afraid I may lack the skill. My style depends on a lot hatching, and I'm not great with getting a perfect blend.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Right guys, the time is ticking away and entry submission will close in just a couple of hours, meaning I will start judging later this evening!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Okay guys, this round was a small one, and I'm okay with that because I did make the topic quite difficult. Notably, Cenere did draw something but didn't submit it due to lack of tools to actually do so. I mention this because he was the only one who actually attempted to draw a facial expression of relief, whereas I see pretty much a full range of other interpretations and methods here, from body language, the symbolic, the figurative, to the scatological.

First off, the Champion's Exhibit, which is brought to you by Bronze:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/BronzeCAE09/e6ad148d-396b-4c9e-bf2d-e12941d5bbe7.jpg

Even with the flaws pointed out during the week, it's a stunning piece with vibrant colour and depth. Each piece and the subtle props brings out a story borne upon the broad shoulders of the warrior. A great contribution to this thread in any capacity.

Now, seeing as there seem only to be three or four other entries, I shall only nominate a single winner as opposed to three placings (otherwise allocating podium places would be a little pointless). Without further ado then:

Winner- Kegaumongo

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/Reliefreduit_zpsb44a2611.jpg

I am actually reminded of an entry with a similar theme set to the stimulus "imprisoned", in which Cen drew an emaciated, wheelchair-bound patient who appeared to be suffering some rapidly progressive malignancy. In my own mind I see this entry as a spiritual sequel to it (however unintended that may be). There are few ways to present relief in the guise of death except through symbolism, this being done through the classic "soul bird" device.

Similar, But Different- thepunisher93

http://24.media.tumblr.com/38fe0d6aa904c0086fb0255ba65a762f/tumblr_mi6o7nMCcs1rl3l9go1_1280.gif

Here's something a bit more concrete, making the quantum leap from relief from this mortal coil to relief from the angst and suffering of this mortal coil. Apart from the technical level, which doesn't weight as much, I felt this submission did not go as far to depict the notion of relief, so much as present a scene which would be interpreted by the theme which was explicitly given. I was not sure whether that was a window or a picture frame, nor of its significance in this scene.

Because There Has to be at Least One Toilet Joke- Light Chaser

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/relief_zpse2d0d740.jpg

I'm not sure whether to feel relieved (haha geddit?) that there's no person drawn on the toilet. Enough said, really.

I'm Not Sure Whether This is Actually an Entry- Salvidian

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/relief_zps53e1d22c.png

It's a fractal of some sort. Cool. But like, what's that got to do with the theme?

---

Well that brings this round to a close! Thoad said he was interested in judging, which I assume means that he knows that this round was scheduled to finish today, and so a new one needs starting. I haven't seen him lately, so I guess I'll try to contact him and give him 48 hours to get back and get started on this. I won't be able to judge any more after this, but supposing that this format proves too difficult to sustain, don't fret, we're discussing some ideas you may yet find more stimulating and easy to maintain.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's a fractal of some sort. Cool. But like, what's that got to do with the theme?

I have to educate both you and Bronze? It's relivio rilivio! Or in English, a type of art style where the image looks like it's floating. The fractal is, frankly, complete irrelevant.

Dang.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Wait a sec.

Relivio rilivio (in Italian I think) = Relief (in English).

Haha, forgot the most important part.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

It's relivio rilivio! Or in English, a type of art style where the image looks like it's floating.

That's a clever pun, but somebody did ask whether they could interpret the theme of relief as a technique as opposed to what I had elaborated upon in my brief, which was specifically the emotion relief. This time around I was trying to flesh out the stimulus by giving a blurb at the same time.

Also I was thinking somebody might be submitting a picture of a relief, as in a mural sculpting LOL.

Does anybody know what the best way to contact Thoad is? He said he'd totally be available to do this and I'm kinda hoping he can make good on his word.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Does anybody know what the best way to contact Thoad is? He said he'd totally be available to do this and I'm kinda hoping he can make good on his word.

You have Cen's info right? Apparently Thoad talks to Cen outside of AG so right now that is probably your best bet.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

For strop:

My disappearance was short and solely due to the fact that I work overnights on the weekend. Hence I will be judging solely on weekDAYS!

My theme: The Abyss

A vague and abstract idea that has been twisted and changed many times. The Abyss, a giant hole of emptiness and forgotten objects that no one and everyone has seen in their lifetime. I'll be judging based upon the interpretation of what "The Abyss" is, the more abstract and creative, the better! However, don't be afraid to be grounded in reality, as my judging will also be based upon how it makes sense. If it can be explained, but leave enough to give the audience some room for interpretation, it's exactly what I'll be looking for. Of course, I love Strop's way of judging so I'll be handing out brownie points to all the contestants.

The judging will be held next monday, but if I have less than 4 entries I'll push it back another week.

Ta-ta.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Dude. Another theme where I can't think of anything that isn't too vague. I thought of something, but I figured it'd be too clever for you lovers of literalness. :P

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

but I figured it'd be too clever for you lovers of literalness. :P

How Thoad judges his own themes is up to him. I was deliberately sticking to the literal for that theme because I wanted to present a challenge, and I guess it proved to be too much of a challenge to many.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

thinks of that one movie with the same title thats like 5 hours long that was a abyssal movie :P

20,000 leagues under the sea you'll fund toads? Still no one wants dragons my....I got it Abyssal Dragon, I will find a way to make Dragons in the next 5 themes if they are not dragons rofl

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I guess it proved to be too much of a challenge to many.

I had such a cool image of a man in uniform bandaging a handwound on a generally tattered and f'd up body, but I just couldn't force myself to put pen to paper in order to make it. I'm still a little buttmad at myself about it :\\

Of course Hectic you can do this, I'm judging based on how creative and originally you can interpret and abyss. An abysmal dragon fits into that criteria pretty well I'd say
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

boy golly, my theme sure did get a ton of entries!

Sarcasm aside, maybe I didn't pick a very inspiring theme. If nothing comes onto the plate by the time monday rolls around, instead of extending the deadline I'll just change it. If anyone has a particular suggestion they want to do and I was too dim to notice it, bring it up and I'll choose the most popular suggestion. Otherwise I guess I'll just try again.

Hearts and kisses,

~Current Judge

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I've noticed that people do more if you do give them something tangible to work with. Hence if the theme was about an object (e.g. "dragons&quot, you may get more entries.

Showing 511-525 of 565