ForumsGamesSuper Smash Bros.

103 16527
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

I really like Super Smash Bros. I have some really good memories of playing the first one on N64 when I was a little kid. I think Brawl is a really great game. It is deffinetly one of my favorite Wii games.

• 103 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Ganondorf is just a slow version of Captain Falcon.

But his moves deal more damage than Captain Falcon... it's true that CF is one of the best examples of a character with both speed and strength, but what Ganondorf lacks in speed he makes up in strength!

It evens out, it just depends on the skill of the player.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

what Ganondorf lacks in speed he makes up in strength!

There's a reason he's rated worse than even the failpuff.

It evens out, it just depends on the skill of the player.

No it doesn't. You have to be considerably better player to win against someone using Captain Falcon with Ganondorf. While it IS true that skill matters more than the character, certain ones are much better that others.
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

There's a reason he's rated worse than even the failpuff.

I suck with JigglyPuff. Never knew how to do that sleeping attack thingy.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I suck with JigglyPuff. Never knew how to do that sleeping attack thingy.

You have to be partially inside them, and only use it when they have high damage. If you miss, or they don't get knocked very far, they can just charge a smash on you and pretty much kill you. Jigglypuff dies easily with ~65-80 damage at most places from most charged hits, so it's not worth using a lot of the time. Same with her up+b move, the singing. Unless they're heavily damaged they'll wake up before you're done and just smash you. The only effective way to fight with her is to stay in the air but low to the ground and use her forward/back kicks.
bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

I have Melee on my Gamecube, working on N64 version on VC, I've unlocked all characters on brawl, etc. I hope Universe is good.

I guess the characters I use most are Lucas and Toon Link.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

You have to be considerably better player to win against someone using Captain Falcon with Ganondorf.

Huh... that must mean I'm REALLY good with him. I've lost very few matches using him no matter what characters my opponents used... I always attributed it to his massive strength!
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I've lost very few matches using him no matter what characters my opponents used... I always attributed it to his massive strength!

Well, my friends and I have been playing SSB for years, Brawl since it came out. We're all in complete agreement that the worst two characters are Ganondorf, Jigglypuff.

While he does have a lot of strength, his moves are short range and slow, extremely easy to block or dodge. His up+a move is basically a free hit if you ever use it, although you can get funny kills at Hanenbow with it by pulling people off the leaves with the way it drags others in. Other than that...basically every move of Ganondorf's is Captain Falcons, except much slower and about a third again as strong. In every instance, Captain Falcon is better. He's faster, he jumps higher, his moves work quicker, they aren't weak, his left/right+b and down+b go further and faster, with less recovery time. His b can switch directions and takes less time for a similar power, his up+b does more damage and goes higher, his grabs are better and every one of his moves has a longer range than the Ganondorf equivalent.

I'm always a little... skeptical...when people claim to be really good with characters I consider to be really bad. How do you fight with him, like what moves do you use most and what do you generally try to do?
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

and about a third again as strong

What? No, Captain Falcon's moves cannot be stronger than Ganondorf's... he may have every other advantage over him but Ganondorf will come out on top in a battle of sheer strength! Being one of the heaviest characters, he also doesn't get blown off the screen as easily, so he can hold more damage than most other characters.

There is also one minor disadvantage that Captain Falcon has to every character when it comes to the use of a certain item, but that's so

How do you fight with him, like what moves do you use most and what do you generally try to do?

Beating your opponent to a pulp works just fine... focusing too much on the B moves will lose you the round... you have to time them perfectly or else they can easily be avoided!

Traditional punching works well because, as I've said before, it takes a lot to knock Ganondorf off any stage due to his weight... then, when your opponent is down, use any of the B moves, depending on where you are in relation to your opponent, except for the warlock punch because you really have to catch your opponent off guard for that to work!

I'm not saying that Ganondorf is a better player than Captain Falcon, but to say that he's among the worst of them all means you just haven't played with him enough! =)
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

This is probably a little bit off topic but whatever.

They are making a 4TH SSB game and Namco is joining so that means the famous Pac Man will be in on the fun and other characters that escape me at the moment.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

What? No, Captain Falcon's moves cannot be stronger than Ganondorf's...

Sorry if I phrased that badly. Ganondorf's moves are stronger than Captain Falcon's by an additional third. So Captain Falcon (being the base character) would be 100%, and Ganondorf 133%, if that makes any more sense.

he also doesn't get blown off the screen as easily, so he can hold more damage than most other characters.

While this is true, he's not any harder to kill than other characters. His jumps and up+b are so pathetic he doesn't have to be knocked far off the stage to fall to his death. Only upward hits would this hold true for. Depends on the stage for a lot of this.

There is also one minor disadvantage that Captain Falcon has to every character when it comes to the use of a certain item, but that's so

that's so....? Anyways, do you mean the star rod because it releases 4 stars with the charge up?

Your description of how to fight well with him leaves me wondering if I didn't explain what I was looking for well enough and how long you've played for.

For example, here's how I would say how to use him. Ganondorf's moves are generally slow, his smashes are short range. Because of this, you want to stick with the basic moves to pile on damage before going for a kill shot. Moves like 'a' 'down+a' and 'left/right+a' non smash on the ground work quickly and have decent ranges. In the air, his up+a and left/right+a are the go to moves, unless you can land a down+a and get the special hit to add a lot of damage. His b moves aren't very good, dealing little impact and leaving him open afterwards, so unless they're stunned from something like a deku nut or pokemon, I wouldn't ever try to use his 'b' move. Never, ever use the up+a on the ground unless you're taunting, because it leaves you open for a few seconds and is extremely easy to dodge.

but to say that he's among the worst of them all means you just haven't played with him enough! =)

I play on random unless I want to play as my favorites for a particular reason (Ike/Zelda/Rob), meaning I use all of them. I've played with him and every other character a lot and really, there's not much good about Ganondorf. In every category he's simply not very good, except strength. But strength means nothing if you can't hit your opponent.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Brawl is really awesome.... love that game.

To be honest Ganondorf in my opinion is too slow and non-athletic too be of any use. You could even just run away from him and get all of the items and attack from afar with stuff. If you're going to be a slow but strong character you might as well be donkey kong.

I love Sonic just because he's super-duper fast and his smash move pwns. Also Pit just because he has sweet arrows and flying skills and Sheik.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

His jumps and up+b are so pathetic he doesn't have to be knocked far off the stage to fall to his death. Only upward hits would this hold true for. Depends on the stage for a lot of this.

In a small stage, it's definitely best to stay in the middle... but if you're getting knocked off the stage frequently with any character, you'd best practice more with that character so that doesn't happen.

that's so....? Anyways, do you mean the star rod because it releases 4 stars with the charge up?

No... play some Home Run Derby in Melee and you'll see what I mean.

Your description on how to fight with Ganondorf is basically just a very in-depth and detailed version of what I was trying to say, but I'm no good with terminology so I didn't put much detail into my description... =)

Fighting is easy for me... putting it into words is the hard part! =P
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

In a small stage, it's definitely best to stay in the middle... but if you're getting knocked off the stage frequently with any character, you'd best practice more with that character so that doesn't happen.

If you're not getting knocked off any stage every so often, you're not playing against people anywhere near your skill level. My friends and I usually do stock 5 matches and they last ~7-10 minutes on average, which means at least one of us dies every other minute (except at super large places like Hyrule/New Pork City.)

No... play some Home Run Derby in Melee and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not seeing why that's a disadvantage. He hits people up instead of left or right after a tiny first hit, which is actually good because it throws off side dodge timing and might make them lower their shield if they're impatient.

You could even just run away from him and get all of the items and attack from afar with stuff.

Items aren't a threat from long range, unless it's a good pokemon or assist trophy. Even still, not often. And he can throw stuff back at you.

If you're going to be a slow but strong character you might as well be donkey kong.

DK, Bowser, Ike, Ganondorf, and King Deedeedee are the "heavy" characters in my opinion. Ike is the best of those I would say, and Bowser/DK are pretty even. Deedeedee is hard to use but okay, with Ganondorf just being lack luster.

I love Sonic just because he's super-duper fast and his smash move pwns.

Which smash move? His only decent impact one is the left/right smash. You have to rake up a lot of damage to kill anyone with sonic, due to his low impact moves. His up+a in air has more impact than his up/down smashes unless they're charged a lot.

Also Pit just because he has sweet arrows and flying skills and Sheik.

You sound like one of those people who play in a very annoying way with every character >.< Running and throwing items instead of fighting, long range quick shots, characters that can run away...
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Which smash move?

I think he means final smash. I just die when I use it though. And Sonic is cheap because you just jam B the whole game.
Ganondorf just being lack luster.

In Melee Ganondorf was faster which made him really hard to beat. Now he is too slow though.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I think he means final smash. I just die when I use it though. And Sonic is cheap because you just jam B the whole game.

If you're jamming B the whole time with Sonic you're not using him right. His B moves all suck except for the one you can charge up and his up+b. Sonic's final smash is the 2nd best in the game though, easily able to kill multiple players no matter the place and possibly harm them the next life.

In Melee Ganondorf was faster which made him really hard to beat. Now he is too slow though.

In melee the entire game was paced faster. Comparatively, he was better, but not by a whole lot. Definitely not the worst character in melee anyways.
Showing 16-30 of 103