ForumsGamesSuper Smash Bros.

103 16534
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

I really like Super Smash Bros. I have some really good memories of playing the first one on N64 when I was a little kid. I think Brawl is a really great game. It is deffinetly one of my favorite Wii games.

• 103 Replies
Juanprito
Juanprito
105 posts
Nomad

I like Ike, he is really slow but hits very hard.

Actually all characters are good, you just have to get used to them. When I started using Ike I thought he sucked, but now I really know how to use him and I'm pretty good.

Link is my second favorite, don't know why Jacen thinks like that. From my point of view, he is wrong in all of the things he said about Link.

And i agree with Kasic, before using Link I tried first toon Link, althought I knew he was better I stayed with Link.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

i love the game, and i do belive meta knight is overpowered because of his attacking skills. honestly, im tired of that game because of him.
NSMB is better anyways. jk, thats gotten much worse.

--judgment PLAYS SMASH BROS. BRAWL

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Falco and Link were by far the best characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee. They were both based off the same character-movement model. That's why they moved the same way and had the same type of attacks, much like why Mario ad Luigi are so close. Man, the horizontal smash was godly in that game. In SSBB they're sub-par.

skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

snake is a beast people

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I feel the reverse. His smashes aren't all that great, but his abilities are good. Two different reflectors, one which can block melee hits and the other which can be used as an attack, guided arrows, flight with up+b and gliding with jumpx2+left/right.

I think I got link and pit mixed up in my mind when I wrote that, but pit overall has weak and fast attacks, much like meta knight, he does have a projectile, and is mildly agile.

Toon link is better than Link yes, but I don't think Link is too bad. I'd place him just below the middle, around F rank. His moves are strong and he's somewhat hard to knock around, and he has long ranged moves.

link's pros: mid to long range, good power (up smash is great for k.o.'s, and chain grab/tether

Actually all characters are good, you just have to get used to them. When I started using Ike I thought he sucked, but now I really know how to use him and I'm pretty good.
I don't know about ALL characters being good, most would be a better term.

for example, ganondorf has a dash slower than most walks, his moves take forever, Olimar can reduced to having 2 moves that do damage.

~~~Darth Caedus

his cons: huge lag on grab, slow, small jumps, arrows must be charged, bomb can cause self damage, gale boomerang has low knockback, spin attack knocks enemies away instead of trapping them.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

just so you know, the section labeled "his cons:" should be above that last quote.

~~~Darth Caedus

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Falco and Link were by far the best characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Nah. Sheik was OP in melee, followed by Marth/Fox.

(up smash is great for k.o.'s,

No it's not. It has the least killing power of all 3 smashes, as well as being able to get out of it. Since the third hit has all the impact it's very easy to just dodge out of the 2nd/3rd hits.

Olimar can reduced to having 2 moves that do damage.

Honestly, it's very hard to force Olimar into that position, and even once you do he can recover from it in half a second. Unless you can do that and knock him from the stage, he'll just pull more pikmin out of the ground and that's that.

his cons: huge lag on grab, slow, small jumps, arrows must be charged, bomb can cause self damage, gale boomerang has low knockback, spin attack knocks enemies away instead of trapping them.

I agree on the grab and jumps, but everything else isn't much of a con. The boomerang isn't meant for knockback, it's meant to reel people in and mess with them. The spin attack is a great quick, all around attack that will get people away from you or kill them.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

The spin attack is a great quick, all around attack that will get people away from you or kill them.
I was comparing it to toon links.

The boomerang isn't meant for knockback, it's meant to reel people in and mess with them.
It moves them only a couple blocks (small game blocks you use in stage builder.) (this was what I observed when I used it on a stationary enemy, but it was a while ago, when I get on next I will run some tests.)

According to the smash wiki, up smash does damage and side smash is great k-o move if sweetspotted.

p.s. everything I have posted is what I observed when playing, and I don't observe that much except to notice what moves I can hit most with.

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I was comparing it to toon links.

Oh. Well, yes. Toon Link's spin does hold them in and deal more damage.

It moves them only a couple blocks

You would be surprised. Lighter characters in the air can be pulled back completely with it. I've used it before to force people either down toward me off a ledge, or to jump so I can go attack them.

If you're really good with it, you can even use it to carry Links's bombs/other items.

According to the smash wiki, up smash does damage and side smash is great k-o move if sweetspotted.

I would agree with that. The up-smash does good damage but is easy to get out of the impact hit. The over smash's second hit has a very strong impact that can be chained or delayed.

p.s. everything I have posted is what I observed when playing, and I don't observe that much except to notice what moves I can hit most with.

Same goes for me. I've probably got at least a hundred hours worth of playtime against other players by this point and I've seen a lot of stuff happen. Replays ftw...
Psychoace
Psychoace
384 posts
Nomad

Falco and Link were by far the best characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee. They were both based off the same character-movement model.

False
credop
credop
38 posts
Nomad

I'm definitely not saying the Wii version is bad, but it's shadowed by the Gamecube version. However i do think that my memories of playing it with my friends is better than the actual gameplay itself.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I'm definitely not saying the Wii version is bad, but it's shadowed by the Gamecube version.

I assume you mean Brawl vs Melee.

They're both very good, but I would have to say melee was more competitive. There were less random factors (like tripping) and less features which could be spammed (repetitive air dodging) along with characters not having 'ultimate' moves with the final smash. It was also faster paced. Brawl is more fun to play though I think.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

They're both very good, but I would have to say melee was more competitive. There were less random factors (like tripping) and less features which could be spammed (repetitive air dodging) along with characters not having 'ultimate' moves with the final smash. It was also faster paced. Brawl is more fun to play though I think.
Melee also had some other moves that were harder to do like wavedashing (Source, the internet, I have never played the game)

You can turn of final smashes by setting items to all off and none.

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

You can turn of final smashes by setting items to all off and none.

Or you can just turn off the final smash...overkill much to turn off every item.

Melee also had some other moves that were harder to do like wavedashing (Source, the internet, I have never played the game)

Wavedashing, imho, is just abusing the game mechanics. I never learned how to do it, but I played against someone who ranked high in a tournament for melee...he just spammed it with Fox at final destination. I only played him once so I never came up with a way to fight it, but it was cheap to say the least. Moving as fast as running with a constant reflect/knockback/shock damage with a semi-wide all around radius...
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i also got the feeling that the controls were much easier in brawl. maybe it was just me but i felt the characters in melee were heavier and less agile (espacially in the air)

Showing 76-90 of 103