ForumsWEPR[dup]Is Christianity a Waste of Time

48 14361
ellielovescute666
ellielovescute666
61 posts
Nomad

Because I am not a Christian I find it hard to believe that everything that the Bible teaches is real. At school all I ever want to be is a scientist of somekind, so my views are in favour of those of science. There is no God in my life. If he really exists then why is there deaths and war??

• 48 Replies
sirmed1
sirmed1
56 posts
Farmer

[quote] saying the world would be better without religion is the same as saying the world would be better without blacks/muslims/jews/arabs/germans/whatever.

not sure it's really the same. Religions influence has a lot to be guilty for, even if there was just one single religion.[/quote]

That in itself is a fallacy. Religion, in itself, is mostly peaceful. With the exception of Islam, no religion ever, at any given point, asks for it's participants to attack or forcibly convert others (Islam does condone forced conversions, but it does promote attacking and conquering other religions).
By blaming religion in general for war, you have to ignore all other factors that lead to it. The Crusades? They were never fully religious in nature. (Depending on which camp you're in, it was either a quest for Muslim gold, or a defensive war). Jihads? Almost always a way to defend Muslims LANDS. Lastly, look at Asian religions. Even the warrior castes of Buddhism trained their priests as soldiers, but also condemned violence unless it was in self defense.

So, in short: Can you blame religion for war? No, but you can blame the power that comes with a widespread system of believers, but not the moral integrity of the leaders.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

That in itself is a fallacy. Religion, in itself, is mostly peaceful. With the exception of Islam, no religion ever, at any given point, asks for it's participants to attack or forcibly convert others (Islam does condone forced conversions, but it does promote attacking and conquering other religions).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1ZnQ-qWw-lM/TKsdOUuzwEI/AAAAAAAAAFY/uGLFTBCSqzk/s320/Godfrey_of_Bouillon_and_leaders_of_the_first_crusade.gif

Crusades.

And I bet you did not expect...

THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/inquisition-wheel.jpg

And of course, the Torah does state STONE THE NONBELIEVERS!

There is a whole Wikipedia article on it.

By blaming religion in general for war, you have to ignore all other factors that lead to it. The Crusades? They were never fully religious in nature.

No war was ever fully religious...Except maybe the crusades. Really. Why else would you invade the middle of the desert, with no useful resources, and is too far away to take control of for any length of time?

Jihads? Almost always a way to defend Muslims LANDS. Lastly, look at Asian religions. Even the warrior castes of Buddhism trained their priests as soldiers, but also condemned violence unless it was in self defense.

Since of course Asia only has one religion.

So, in short: Can you blame religion for war? No, but you can blame the power that comes with a widespread system of believers, but not the moral integrity of the leaders.

Why not? There has never been a war with only one purpose. You can blame them for the war, after all, for most of those wars the actual fighting would not have happened if the people did not follow a religion.
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

Its very simple Beilive in nothing and its all good

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

The Crusades? They were never fully religious in nature.

To the common soldier of the era, yes they were. The vast majority had few, if any, alterior motives. A peasent could not gain power or wealth from the conflict. Their only solace in response to the bloodshed was in knowing that they were the liberators of the holy lands, the saviors of Cristianity, and could expect a nice seat in heaven when it was all over. For the warriors, how was it anything but fully religious in nature? The same could be said for the modern day Taliban/Al-Queda. For the leaders, there may be alterior motives, such as wealth or power or land etc, but for the average follower, there is nothing but a religious drive. I recall that one of the pilots in the 9/11 attacks (I think it was Jarrah) had planned on getting married to his girlfriend in a short time, settling down, starting a family, etc. Instead, driven purely by religious motives, he assisted in the attacks as a pilot. An otherwise sane, above-average individual with higher education willingly flew a plane into a building.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

And there were a lot more power struggles that were non religious, And World War 2 was againsta religion. Also, as I stated before, not all Christianity is the same, so please ...

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

More historical wars were religion-related, though.
@314d1
Love the post!

Anyway, religion is always a factor in conflict, though it may not be the start.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

As it should be, it has probably kept many prisoners alive, and kept people with a code of conduct...

~Krill11

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

As it should be, it has probably kept many prisoners alive, and kept people with a code of conduct...

A lot of those codes dictated who til kill in the first place.
sirmed1
sirmed1
56 posts
Farmer

To the common soldier of the era, yes they were.

But that's not what I was getting at- I meant that, if a lot of people believe in one religion, and that they believe that the higher ups were chosen by their god[s], then those higher ups have a deity like status. They can start wars, and they already have devout followers that believe that, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO, they are doing what is good and right for everyone, even those that they slay at their feet.

Since of course Asia only has one religion.

Uh, read my post again. You see, in the English language, adding a "s" on the end of a word makes it plural. Also, if you study Asian religions, many of them follow the same basic, fundamental guidelines. Although this stereotype won't work for all of them, it's a easy guideline to follow.

And I bet you did not expect...

THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

You, my friend, are the best man here. I tip my hat, and surrender my keys to debating here. Good work, sir.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Basic christian morals actualy detest the actions of most things done i the name of god the entire point of cristianity is for us to become Crist like.Christ was without sin and he was the only being to live without sin.put that in pipe and smoke unless you dont like smoking then you can use a chewable substance.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Again I have to disagree, while it does contain good guidelines it also contains equally horrific guidelines.

well that was part of the frills. guess i had to write more down then just that.

point is, we have to by hyper active whit a scissor.
then we could make a nice guide out of it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The vast majority had few, if any, alterior motives.

it also helped that the church was the richest of all leaders and that they could pay the knights much more then any lord or most kings could.
and by becoming a crusade you were acquitted of your previous crimes.
nahiyanman
nahiyanman
21 posts
Nomad

I don't know that Cristianity is a waste of time or not because I am not a Christian but a Muslim.

StrykerGalactic
StrykerGalactic
1 posts
Nomad

Everybody has 20/20 vision looking back. When you are a person of faith, you don't see it as a waste. However, looking back almost everyone who has found either another belief or lack thereof, regrets or finds, their old ways a waste.

lmac4
lmac4
2 posts
Peasant

What we know as christianity was created by a Constantine the Great, a pagan, he "became a christian" because it was a good buisness opportunity. It was all adapted from pagan believes, and now people follow every word of it like it came from the mouth of God. oh and i am a catholic and i go to church every week

Showing 31-45 of 48