Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

minecraft illegal download (i might go to jail!!!)

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 10:17am

pizzaicecream653

pizzaicecream653

139 posts

i used to play minecraft classic but it said that it is several years old and it is no longer supported so i tried the minecraft demo and it said that my video card drivers werent updated enough so i typed in google, "minecraft for free" and clicked on the link tryminecraftforfree.com and i clicked play and download and then it locked my computer and said that i copyrighted and broke the law and i have to pay like 200 bucks to unlock my computer and i have to pay some fee in the next 48 hours or else the option to unlock my computer will expire and further law suits will be taken against me and i might go to jail for up to 3 years what should i do??!?!??!?!?!? please help!!!

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 4:18pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

That's ridiculous. You haven't done anything wrong and can't be accused of doing such. A screenshot of the alleged website warning would be nice. Also, if your computer was clocked, how did you post this thread?

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 4:30pm

pizzaicecream653

pizzaicecream653

139 posts

on another computer is how i posted that thread lol thanks

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:11pm

ellock

ellock

295 posts

That seems a little drastic. I am a skeptic so it would be good to see something. How would they know the location of your computer to put you in jail? Also, how could there be a site that openly breaks the law and can still do it? If they could find you how could they not find the makers of the site. It could be a scam.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:32pm

master565

master565

3,874 posts

You downloaded yourself some sort of virus. This is not actually a police notice or anything, its a scam to get your money. And since you downloaded the virus, it has some control over your computer. Turn off your computer and hire a computer technician to fix this because depending on the virus, it could be do more damage the longer you leave it on.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:33pm

master565

master565

3,874 posts

On a side note, pirating software doesn't mean you'll be able to run Minecraft, you'll just have an illegal version of Minecraft you can't run.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 6:50pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

It's a little thing called scareware. It's a pretty typical Internet fraud, and not particularly dangerous. A quick trip into safemode (if you know what you're doing, that is) should get rid of pretty fast.

Police can't actually use such invasive methods.

Also, use TPB next time. Don't download it from unknown sources.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 8:02pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

Sounds like troll, intelligent, cunning, mischieveous troll! Do not feed!

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 9:58pm

kevin8ye

kevin8ye

514 posts

yeah.... so from the other thread: -------> http://armorgames.com/community/thread/ …

if u use Windows, just drag the program from downloads, to the recycle bin, and delete it. Then, just delete all your history

u usually should restrain from making double threads, even if it's in the wrong category. The mods will move them

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 10:54pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,962 posts

u usually should restrain from making double threads, even if it's in the wrong category. The mods will move them

actually this was first in the support and suggestions, then moved by a mod to the video games forum and might have been moved here by a mod.

and yeah it's just a scam, don't drink any more of the koolaid

~manly man