ForumsWEPRFemale-only Cities -- Coming soon to Saudi Arabia

24 10959
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Basically, some business women in Saudi Arabia thought it would be a good idea to build cities only for working women. For the details and a commentary, please read the following links:

- Article
- Commentary

I just discovered that, I have yet to make my mind on this. So I ask, erudite people of AG, what is your opinion on this? Is it finally a chance for women in Saudi Arabia to shake off the yoke of male patronage, or will this even more extreme segregation backfire horribly?

• 24 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Good I think this is. Help it will with women's ability to get jobs.

bigmac258
bigmac258
103 posts
Nomad

i thought in saudi Arabia women were pretty slaves

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i know there are a few of these towns in kenia.
and the female in those towns seem very happy that they do no longer have man around that are abusing them. or boss them around.

so for them i would say. GREAT!
but the children who grow up in these towns will have a big problem communicating whit man when they leave town. all they have heard all there lif is storys of woman that are against man. (yes, against)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It's a step in the right direction. You cannot expect any country to enact complete reforms; the fact that the women are standing up for themselves is good news in itself.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I kind of had a mixed reaction to reading this.

The lesbian in me thinks it sounds like absolute heaven.
The feminist in me thinks it's a good step towards womens working rights in Saudi.
The other feminist side to me doesn't understand why this progress can't be equal.

But hey, if it works for them, it works.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The lesbian in me thinks it sounds like absolute heaven.

They still stone homosexuals there, last I checked, so you might get to your real heaven soon.

The feminist in me thinks it's a good step towards womens working rights in Saudi.

Ah yes. Forcing women to wear unrevealing clothing, putting them in cities away from men, and basically forcing them to be slaves. Defiantly going to help out with women's rights there.

The other feminist side to me doesn't understand why this progress can't be equal.

Eh? What?

But hey, if it works for them, it works.

What do you mean by that, exactly?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

They still stone homosexuals there, last I checked, so you might get to your real heaven soon.

I meant living in an all female city sounds like heaven - not specifically in their country.

Ah yes. Forcing women to wear unrevealing clothing, putting them in cities away from men, and basically forcing them to be slaves. Defiantly going to help out with women's rights there.

Giving them the opportunity to work as opposed to having to stay home and look after kids and husbands is a slight progress for them, yes. Maybe not Western Civilizations version of womens rights, but i didn't say that now, did i? :]

Eh? What?

I mean, i don't understand why they can't be allowed the step in progress in a mixed gender environment.

What do you mean by that, exactly?

If it's what they want, then fair play.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I think it's kind of a double- edged sword... On one hand, it will provide women with jobs and help in equality in Saudi Arabia, but on the other hand, it also strengthens the wall of gender segregation... the exact wall that these women are trying to break.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

i know there are a few of these towns in kenia.
and the female in those towns seem very happy that they do no longer have man around that are abusing them. or boss them around.

Oh, so such cities already exist? And the concept is working, you say? Do you know how long they have been around?

but the children who grow up in these towns will have a big problem communicating whit man when they leave town. all they have heard all there lif is storys of woman that are against man. (yes, against)

I can already see it coming... gender war! lol.. but seriously, do you think bigger kind of conflicts could emerge from such a gender division? Or are the reins still in the hands of the conservative men, even in all-female cities?

I mean, i don't understand why they can't be allowed the step in progress in a mixed gender environment.

Because of the strict gender segregation, women will always be at a disadvantage around men in Saudi Arabia. I think that's why they're planning such a drastic move. But like thepyro222, I think it also strengthens the segregation. That's probably why the project was accepted at all. Though it seems king Abdullah is generally favourable to less strict segregation.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I meant living in an all female city sounds like heaven - not specifically in their country.

And why- again? You would have equal competition if you where a lesbian, assuming the populations where the same. Really removing the men does nothing to help with anything there...

Giving them the opportunity to work as opposed to having to stay home and look after kids and husbands is a slight progress for them, yes. Maybe not Western Civilizations version of womens rights, but i didn't say that now, did i? :]

Do you know what they call someone with working rights and no other rights? A slave. Having them work is hardly a step up...

....Thanks for clearing that up???
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

And why- again? You would have equal competition if you where a lesbian, assuming the populations where the same. Really removing the men does nothing to help with anything there...

It's called a joke, i believe you can google the definition.

Do you know what they call someone with working rights and no other rights? A slave. Having them work is hardly a step up...

Slaves don't get paid, and tend to have more of a violent condition to live in. I'm assuming these women will be getting paid for their job.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It's called a joke, i believe you can google the definition.

A joke? I don't get it.

Slaves don't get paid, and tend to have more of a violent condition to live in. I'm assuming these women will be getting paid for their job.

Since that apparently makes it better?

But then again, I am pretty sure any money they make goes to their husbands, or their father if they are not married. Have not checked up on the law in the aria in a while.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

A joke? I don't get it.

Breaking News.

But then again, I am pretty sure any money they make goes to their husbands, or their father if they are not married. Have not checked up on the law in the aria in a while.

The women who proposed the project were trying to get better job opportunities and more independence. I doubt they'd have proposed it if they knew they had to give away the money anyway. Besides, I doubt a husband would let his wife go and live in a different city away from him.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

They don't have to pay a dime to anyone, not even to their kids (they are father's responsibility)
EvilMidnightBomber
EvilMidnightBomber
1 posts
Nomad

I think this is a step in the wrong direction, as it only separates the men and women more. They need to come together as equals, not separate. It'd be like the U.S. solving the tensions between blacks and whites before the Civil Rights Act by shipping all the blacks back to Africa.

Showing 1-15 of 24