Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Female-only Cities -- Coming soon to Saudi Arabia

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 7:03pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,957 posts

Knight

Basically, some business women in Saudi Arabia thought it would be a good idea to build cities only for working women. For the details and a commentary, please read the following links:

- Article
- Commentary

I just discovered that, I have yet to make my mind on this. So I ask, erudite people of AG, what is your opinion on this? Is it finally a chance for women in Saudi Arabia to shake off the yoke of male patronage, or will this even more extreme segregation backfire horribly?

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 7:53pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,155 posts

Good I think this is. Help it will with women's ability to get jobs.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 8:12pm

bigmac258

bigmac258

99 posts

i thought in saudi Arabia women were pretty slaves

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 8:27pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

i know there are a few of these towns in kenia.
and the female in those towns seem very happy that they do no longer have man around that are abusing them. or boss them around.

so for them i would say. GREAT!
but the children who grow up in these towns will have a big problem communicating whit man when they leave town. all they have heard all there lif is storys of woman that are against man. (yes, against)

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 12:16am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,853 posts

Knight

It's a step in the right direction. You cannot expect any country to enact complete reforms; the fact that the women are standing up for themselves is good news in itself.

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 12:19am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

I kind of had a mixed reaction to reading this.

The lesbian in me thinks it sounds like absolute heaven.
The feminist in me thinks it's a good step towards womens working rights in Saudi.
The other feminist side to me doesn't understand why this progress can't be equal.

But hey, if it works for them, it works.

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 12:59am

314d1

314d1

3,510 posts

The lesbian in me thinks it sounds like absolute heaven.

They still stone homosexuals there, last I checked, so you might get to your real heaven soon.

The feminist in me thinks it's a good step towards womens working rights in Saudi.

Ah yes. Forcing women to wear unrevealing clothing, putting them in cities away from men, and basically forcing them to be slaves. Defiantly going to help out with women's rights there.

The other feminist side to me doesn't understand why this progress can't be equal.

Eh? What?

But hey, if it works for them, it works.

What do you mean by that, exactly?

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 1:44am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

They still stone homosexuals there, last I checked, so you might get to your real heaven soon.

I meant living in an all female city sounds like heaven - not specifically in their country.

Ah yes. Forcing women to wear unrevealing clothing, putting them in cities away from men, and basically forcing them to be slaves. Defiantly going to help out with women's rights there.

Giving them the opportunity to work as opposed to having to stay home and look after kids and husbands is a slight progress for them, yes. Maybe not Western Civilizations version of womens rights, but i didn't say that now, did i? :]

Eh? What?

I mean, i don't understand why they can't be allowed the step in progress in a mixed gender environment.

What do you mean by that, exactly?

If it's what they want, then fair play.

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 2:20am

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,978 posts

I think it's kind of a double- edged sword... On one hand, it will provide women with jobs and help in equality in Saudi Arabia, but on the other hand, it also strengthens the wall of gender segregation... the exact wall that these women are trying to break.

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 3:41am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,957 posts

Knight

i know there are a few of these towns in kenia.
and the female in those towns seem very happy that they do no longer have man around that are abusing them. or boss them around.

Oh, so such cities already exist? And the concept is working, you say? Do you know how long they have been around?

but the children who grow up in these towns will have a big problem communicating whit man when they leave town. all they have heard all there lif is storys of woman that are against man. (yes, against)

I can already see it coming... gender war! lol.. but seriously, do you think bigger kind of conflicts could emerge from such a gender division? Or are the reins still in the hands of the conservative men, even in all-female cities?

I mean, i don't understand why they can't be allowed the step in progress in a mixed gender environment.

Because of the strict gender segregation, women will always be at a disadvantage around men in Saudi Arabia. I think that's why they're planning such a drastic move. But like thepyro222, I think it also strengthens the segregation. That's probably why the project was accepted at all. Though it seems king Abdullah is generally favourable to less strict segregation.

Reply to Female-only Cities -- Coming soon to Saudi Arabia

You must be logged in to post a reply!