ForumsPopular MediaSchool Concerts!

15 3888
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Well, as I am in one tonight...I thought I may as well start a topic about it!

So, do you love 'em or hate 'em?

I have to play my saxophone in it....I need to practice in half an hour...so I will only be on till then!

KingRyan

• 15 Replies
Girl_Power
Girl_Power
379 posts
Peasant

I have never been to one or in them before so I don't know what they are like.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hehe, school concerts.

For me, that depends entirely on the standard, which usually indicated the attitude. School concerts can, on one hand, be one of those pretentious drudges that parents subscribe to for the sake of snootiness and elitism moreso than the poor kids with instruments beyond their comprehension...you get the idea.

Or they could be something of what they purport to be- providing great opportunities for genuinely interested individuals to enjoy a common passion.

In my experience, most school concerts bring in a mixture of both. At my high school, there were several dozen different ensembles, some of which were composed of disinterested beginners and others of which were composed of only the most elite of musicians. Seeing as I was from the latter and had to attend most school concerts in my capacity as the music vice-captain, it wouldn't have done me any good to harbor objections :P

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

@Strop...I had no choice whether I was in this or not...as I am the lead saxonophist! I am the best in my school...and there are only 4!

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

What in the world I have never heard of this what is it?

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

^ I have no idea what he said half the time, but okay!

As for me, I hate em, why? I never get to watch them because I'm always in them, and nobody ever really pays attention more than a fixed stare throught the whole preformance and clapping that's programmed to automatically start at the end of the selection and show. So really, they're a waste of my time, and I'm tired of the Beginning Band always playing the same songs...no offence to them, I was there once too...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

.I had no choice whether I was in this or not...as I am the lead saxonophist!

Well, I guess the real question is do you enjoy it? :P

I'll go into some personal detail:

I generally found the orchestras to be more enjoyable than the concert bands as it seems that the former were of a higher standard than the latter...the latter are only good for me if they're of an extraordinary level approaching professional. To that end I didn't ever play in a concert band or brass ensemble after my early years. I instead played in small exclusive ensembles that were more a highly honed 'feature' of a concert rather than a generic, mandatory hodgepodge, or either as first horn in the school's most senior orchestra, or as a soloist (again, feature item)...or in something truly awesome like Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (y'all should know at least the very beginning!)

So naturally my experience would differ from most, but believe me, I have sat in items where I figured "this is just making up the numbers, everybody's bored ****less." That's the token stuff.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Anyway...

I am off now! Wish me luck! Next time I will be on it will be one down..two to go!

At least I don't have to go to school tomorrow!

kingofvwcosmos
kingofvwcosmos
74 posts
Nomad

At a school concert I played the Rush song "Hope" and I sucked but people thought I was awesome

So yes, I like school concerts

whatever
whatever
55 posts
Nomad

I don't like school concerts although we always have one. I never go there and neither do my friends.

midnight43
midnight43
122 posts
Nomad

ive only had like 2 at my school they both sucked tho:-)

Death_Creates
Death_Creates
65 posts
Nomad

i dont like them but, if you didnt have to get dressed up id go to everyone of em insted of skippin em

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

mmm....

One down...two to go!

I played fine last night...I only made one or two mistakes, and no-one noticed! The teacher stopped playing (the piano) in the middle...so we had to keep going till he started again...

I have a matinee today...it is for the kids at the primary schoolS~

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Hmmm nice job I guess no one has guitar concerts in their school? At mine, there are different levels of guitar classes starting at Guitar 1, Guitar2, Intermediate ensemble and Advanced ensemble. I play in the advanced and our concerts are just full of energy! Well, mostly the ensembles. 1 and 2 play pretty simple pieces, but they are nice to listen to. We just finished our last concert for an art show, but a storm passed by and the electricity went out! We had just started "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters, but we went through the whole thing. Then an administrator came in and said that we had to go to the hall because there was a tornado warning. But overall, school concerts are pretty cool at certain times

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Argh...interesting matinee performance...

Anyway...I am off the the final performance. It should be good....hopefully....

Wish me luck...again!

baseballfamer123
baseballfamer123
321 posts
Nomad

Well, in my school we really dont have concerts. We have plays though.

Showing 1-15 of 15