ForumsThe TavernProject Archive: A Digital Ark For AG's Treasures.

69 9100
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

It's Coming...
AGv3 is soon to pass from looming into being, despite the concerns and objections of those among us who are opposed to some of its "improvements." According to official information, it is highly likely that during the transition the content of the forums will be lost.
While it is questionable and ultimately unknown whether the forums would be able to successfully recover from this, one fact stands out: there are some things in these forums that simply can't be replaced.

Project Archive: Saving The Best of AG's Forums for the Future.
While it is impossible, and indeed unnecessary, to keep all of the forum's contents, it would be a definite loss to AG and its denizens if certain threads were forfeited. Fortunately, there may be a way to save them.
How?
What I am proposing is simple: All of you loyal forum-dwellers who have flash drives and hard drive space, put it to use. Copy and paste the contents of certain landmark threads to word-processing documents and save it for eventual reposting once the transition cycle is completed.
What should be saved?

Only keep the best and most useful subject matter. While the erasure of the forums would take a long time to recover from, there are many threads that the forum can survive without. Thus, only the real gems should be archived: the most comprehensive and used game guides, the greatest debates, the deepest art and writing, the best and most identified-with stories, and the most popular and longest running games.
Where Do I Start?
Here is a preliminary list of candidate threads for archiving:
>Tavern: Cenere's legendary discourse on internet behavior, "Super Cool and Awesome Bunnies!"
>Forum Games: You're Banned (This one will be the hardest due to its sheer size. That size, however, is part of why it should be saved.)
>AMW: The two constant writing contests (Poetry and Haiku)
>WERP: The Introductions to Logic and Rhetoric
>Tavern: Your Most Painful Physical Experience (A lot of people can identify with this one)

This list is by far not complete. Therefore, I would welcome any serious suggestions regarding threads suitable for archiving.

Project Archive Wants YOU!
Obviously, this isn't a one-man operation; it would be physically impossible to carry this out effectively if it were. Project Archive needs volunteers.
If you are willing to help out, please report to this thread that you will help, what thread(s) you will copy and store, and if possible when you will do so. Additionally, some larger threads may have to be copied in sections by multiple people; such efforts would have to be coordinated via this thread.

Some Guidelines
When Archiving, copy and keep the pertinent information and nothing else. Usernames, date/time of post, rank of poster (optional), and of course the text of the post should be copied and stored in an organized style, preferably as close to the original forum's format as possible.

AGv3 may gut the forums in its rise, but there's no reason why we can't salvage some things and try to improve the situation.

• 69 Replies
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Well, I was talking about if we were to upload the file for the viewing pleasure of people.

The idea is to copy/paste the saved threads back onto AGv3 like regular posts.

Also, is there a certain format we're following, or just copy-paste all of what's on the forum page?

Start at the top corner of the date/time index for the first post, and highlight/copy/paste everything down to just below the last post. Once you've pasted it to your document, you'll see about four or five lines between the user's name and the beginning of the text that contain "report," "flag," and dead space. These should be removed. If there is a line that says "Moderator" or "Administrator," please leave it in. If you're archiving a large thread that you'll have to handle in multiple sittings, it's a good idea to leave a little note for yourself at the bottom of your document saying which page you're currently on. Also, if you are copying an active thread, be sure to check back frequently so you don't miss any new material.

@xeano321
I have an external HDD that's not really in use right now, so I can help out with the archiving.

Okay, great. Since (presumably) you have a large amount of space at your disposal, your assignments will be for the larger threads.

Your first assignment is Yggdrasil, in the forum games. Please report here when you have begun, and completed, archiving. Remember to check back for new material in that thread.

Everyone, Please Remember To Check Back Here For Updates And New Assignments!
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Wait, so what is my assignment? Also, I don't really get the thing about the guides. Don't archive them unless you have permission from the creator? Or...?

Another thing is, maybe someone should post a thread they have archived to see what it looks like and all of that.

On top of that, if you copied and pasted a thread would those annoying black symbols happen for quotes and other stuff I think?

â (trying to get the symbol to show)

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Sorry if someones said this and i've skipped over it - should stickies be archived?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Then there's the contests and such and the WoM. We are archiving that, I hope?

I think for the people who have put so much effort into the poetry/art contests and even got merits from it - they should be archives.
Peoples personal art threads can be copied at their own will kind of thing?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Your first assignment is Yggdrasil, in the forum games. Please report here when you have begun, and completed, archiving. Remember to check back for new material in that thread.

Yggdrasil, got it! Gonna get started right now.

I noticed that when you copy and paste a post with a quote from another post, the quoted statement is no longer a quote, but just normal text. (If you have a hard time following that, let me know)
It kind of makes it hard to distinguish the quote from the rest of the post.

Any ideas?
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I plan on archiving the other two stickies, the Gemcraft Guide and the Colony Guide.

I'm not sure if "Colony Strategy" is really worth archiving...

Except for maybe some of the posts made by Draco, Fission, and some others not many of them are very useful.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I did it in Notepad, and it automatically indented all of the quotes for me. However, if we're reposting them, it would probably be smarter to reinsert all of the BBCode to make it less confusing.

It indented them for me too, but I was more concerned about the re-posting... I'll post some of the archived stuff and see how it turns out without the BBcode.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Okay. I didn't really look at it; I just saw the sticky and figured it might have some worth. Are there any other guides that might be better, or maybe should also be archived, do you think?

Well the General Colony Discussion (Flash Games) has probably a lot more posts about strategy and other fun stuff but it's still a whopping 636 pages...

I can't think of any others at the moment. Hmmm if only the Colony Index was still there.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Archiving of Yggdrasil is completed. I will monitor the the thread and update the archive as the new posts show up.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Update:
The game thread Yggdrasil has been successfully archived.

@Xeano
Good work!

Since we're running short on identified viable threads right now, go ahead and copy the WERP's Introductions to Logic and Rhetoric.
In the future, once we get some more names, you'll probably draw more of the larger threads due to the amount of space you have available, but right now we have to work with what we know.

Additionally:
Last night I messaged three Mods and an Admin regarding whether they can help with the project, especially by providing names for suitable threads to archive. Their responses are still awaited.

We still need viable threads to archive! Without their names, we can't save them, and that makes this all a moot point. Search them out, and quickly! Time is running out!

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Since we're running short on identified viable threads right now, go ahead and copy the WERP's Introductions to Logic and Rhetoric.

Got that. I'll get started on that today.

We still need viable threads to archive!

Salvidians One Dilly of a Pickle should be included in the archive. A lot of good ideas came out of it. (I'll keep browsing the old threads and see what I come up with.)
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I would suggest someone dips into the depths of the Tavern and finds the Zombie Survival Club (the original). It was the one club that was actually allowed to have a thread, because it was awesome.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I would suggest someone dips into the depths of the Tavern and finds the Zombie Survival Club (the original). It was the one club that was actually allowed to have a thread, because it was awesome.

I got this one, if you want CP?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

go ahead and copy the WERP's Introductions to Logic and Rhetoric.

Finished. Let me know when another mission comes around. =D
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Could I offer a suggestion?
Though this may just destroy everybody's hard work, wouldn't be a bit easier to use the snipping tool?
Just a thought.

Showing 16-30 of 69