Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

What do you think of the world around us?

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 11:39am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,868 posts

Knight

They did. Back when they where Greek teens, or teens of the other nations. They where part of the intended audience (those that could read, at least) and enjoyed it. That is why they feed hemlock to some great philosophers, poisoning the youth of Greece.

That's because they were the Harvard student of their days. Would your average Greek Joe read Aristotle? No. He would be at the theaters watching Aristophanes slap stick comedies, or out in the fields playing. Only the intellectuals and educated bothered with the stuff.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 3:29pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

You think that every other generation is better...because they have a better memory? You guys have such strange criteria.

read again plz. i never said anything about a generation being better.
i just wrote down what the downside of all the new biotechnology is.
if you can't take it. ignore me, remember.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 3:31pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

scrap the "bio" in front of the technology.
it's not supposed to be there.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 7:04pm

shock457

shock457

470 posts

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless. I've read many good books, such as Diary of Anne Frank, The Merchant of Venice, or a Biography of Frederick Douglass. Those are some great sellers.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 7:52pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless.

so do i, and i aint a teenager.

i read letters, newspaper, news sites, scientific articles (especially about the universe), forums and loads of paperwork for my job.

but no classic books.
i think most of them are boring and useless.
see "most". some books sure are good. but to seek for them is a waste of time in my eye's.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 8:57pm

314d1

314d1

3,510 posts

read again plz. i never said anything about a generation being better.
i just wrote down what the downside of all the new biotechnology is.

You think that, for some reason, an entire generation has a poorer memory from technology? Is that the correct sarcasm?

if you can't take it. ignore me, remember.

Maybe I should write it down?

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless

Then why do they text rather then talk? Use camchats instead of facebook and twitter? They read all the time.

I've read many good books, such as Diary of Anne Frank, The Merchant of Venice, or a Biography of Frederick Douglass. Those are some great sellers.

But they are pretty boring to most people. They are not written for the modern man, let alone the modern kid. The Merchant of Venice, for example, is so old and out of date that it can hardly even be considered "English" any more.

Now lets look at some of the best modern sellers. Harry Potter, for example, sold millions in the modern time to young people. Twilight sold millions to young girls. Kids do not care fiction from four hundred years ago, it is completely irrelevant to them. Modern books, in modern times, with modern fantasy, sells millions. Really, the only reason to actually enjoy things like that is to pretend to be smart...

Ah, I just brutalized the English language. Anyway, people read these days. They just read what is relevant to them, things that they are interested in, and that they feel could actually happen to them.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 9:03pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

You think that, for some reason, an entire generation has a poorer memory from technology?

1st of (again)
i never said anything about any generation.
plz. do not put words in my mouth that i didn't use. (you should know that by now)
2nd yes we use our brain less then people did 40 year ago.
3rd plz. go and ignore me again. i liked that better then your bs comments.

Maybe I should write it down?

you said you would ignore me.
plz. do so and ignore me.
i see you write bs all the time and i ignore it.
plz. do the same.

(is this clear enough for you or what?)

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 9:11pm

314d1

314d1

3,510 posts

i never said anything about any generation.
plz. do not put words in my mouth that i didn't use. (you should know that by now)

"We" means the modern generation, correct? Or are you talking about you and your cat or something?

2nd yes we use our brain less then people did 40 year ago.

Really? What do you base that on? Memory?

3rd plz. go and ignore me again. i liked that better then your bs comments.

I don't remember ignoring you. Maybe "We" do have bad memories?

you said you would ignore me.
plz. do so and ignore me.
i see you write bs all the time and i ignore it.
plz. do the same.

Really? You are not very good at ignoring things, then. Try harder next time.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 9:19pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

sorry i'm not going to lower myself to you again.
next time remember what you say if your so smart.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 11:30pm

shock457

shock457

470 posts

This is a topic of literature and probably problems with people today.

This has nothing to do with technology (even though it causes problems, which affects the old world and modern world). Well, I guess I can include the topic of technology on people's lives here.

Just like partydevil, other teens dislike reading. They think ,"What is the point of reading?, To learn? To have more homework? To waste time?". There are many possiblities why teens and possibly some adults dislike reading.

So, back to the topic of technology. People pretty much abuse things like cell phones, school supplies (caculators, computers, etc.), cameras (which is one of the worse things to abuse, etc. People can do inapproiate things with them or probably hurt people with those tools (which is supposed to help us). Computers has some usefullness. To do research, to communicate people all over the world, to get rich and much more.

Here is an obvious answer. Technology is both a nuisance and a helpful tool in the worlf community.

Reply to What do you think of the world around us?

You must be logged in to post a reply!