ForumsWEPRWhat do you think of the world around us?

127 34494
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

I think that many things changed over the years. People nowadays doesn't read books as much. People doesn't even like the classical games (hopscotch, Heads Up 7 Up, etc.). Technology was a huge reason for this change. Ever since our modern technology was introduced, people began to rely on those gadgets instead of the old sources. Technology has helped us a lot, but brought everyone down in some way.

• 127 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

ive worked from my 7 year old in the printing house of my parents.
was i a child and did i work? yes.
was it child labour? no.
i had fun working. and learned alot about what my parents did when i was goofing around town.
i had respect for people who worked. while my classmates still thought that working was a waste of time.

if you let kids only play play and play. then they come in a culture shock the moment we demand them to work.
and usualy we trow all those problems on the "they are a teener" argument.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Being taught your father's/mother's craft from an early age so as you can continue the tradition is child labour to you?

It is if you make them work for more then X hours, depending on your job and state.

How hard do you work?

Harder then a kid like you ever will.

Do you even work at all?

All summer - except for a little off time. I am actually starting my week of off time before school this week.

Have you even seen an honest hour of simple, unquestionable work, like stacking firewood or studying a book thoroughly?

Yes, I have done like a thousand hours in the last two years of doing things most states hire illegal immigrants to do for a little more then they get. What have you done, exactly?

Think about the contexts. It's all about the circumstances; calling it child labour when you're already a full fledge adult at 15 seems parochial. Kings took power personally even younger than that; and peole dropped dead before they grasped at a fourth decade of life. It would be supremely unfair to claim that such work in the past was child labour. It's also rather foolish to jump on what Forger said and claim he is seething at child labour laws. That's an incredible leap you made, and it didn't make a modicum of sense in lambasting him.

Of course due to the caprices of the global economy and our perceptions of social structure due to longer life spans and changing social roles, this has all
changed so your my point of us having little reason to be angry at teens spending time so "frivolously" might hold water and is defensible. But it is abit tiring seeing you take an unrelated point and spin it into something insidious.

Oh! So we are talking about the 19nth century then? No? Then it does not matter. We are talking about modern times, at least in the past hundred years, it makes no since to state something like "The Ancient Egyptians children where very well behaved!"

ive worked from my 7 year old in the printing house of my parents.
was i a child and did i work? yes.
was it child labour? no.
i had fun working. and learned alot about what my parents did when i was goofing around town.
i had respect for people who worked. while my classmates still thought that working was a waste of time.

Great! Since it worked for you, rich middle class person, it must work for everyone! Right? That is how it works, right?

if you let kids only play play and play. then they come in a culture shock the moment we demand them to work.
and usualy we trow all those problems on the "they are a teener" argument.

Are we talking about our generation now? After all, you still have not said it yet...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Oh! So we are talking about the 19nth century then? No? Then it does not matter. We are talking about modern times, at least in the past hundred years, it makes no since to state something like "The Ancient Egyptians children where very well behaved!"

Forger was talking about the medieval context initially before switching to the modern concept. Please read before going off track again with your silly arguments.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Great! Since it worked for you, rich middle class person, it must work for everyone! Right? That is how it works, right?

I do not believe rich, middle class people work in printing houses. Just saying.
Are we talking about our generation now? After all, you still have not said it yet...

No, we're talking about 18th century munchkins! Because they definitely had video games, right?
Of course he is talking about the current time frame.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

don't waste your time on him masterforger.
he always take everything out of context.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Forger was talking about the medieval context initially before switching to the modern concept. Please read before going off track again with your silly arguments.

Now that would just be stupid, wouldn't it? Why would be talking about the dark ages at all?

I do not believe rich, middle class people work in printing houses. Just saying.

Your probably richer then most of the farmers I know...

No, we're talking about 18th century munchkins! Because they definitely had video games, right?

Wait, Nico just said that you WHERE talking about the dark ages. Can't you guys agree on anything?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

?
I am not even going to grace any of your posts with answers anymore. You seem to be unable to understand context, irony, sarcasm, or plain information.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Now that would just be stupid, wouldn't it? Why would be talking about the dark ages at all?

As a comparison to today's youths, and then (falsely) juxtaposing it to laziness today. I dont agree with his point, but I most certainly think you're just meaning around or are so inundated with your own incredible leaps of logic that you
Somehow think he is supporting child labour. Indeed I don't even know if you're playing Devil's Advocate or really can't understand a simple argument.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I am not even going to grace any of your posts with answers anymore. You seem to be unable to understand context, irony, sarcasm, or plain information.

Oh no. I will lose out on the grace of Masterforger's posts. Such a shame.

As a comparison to today's youths, and then (falsely) juxtaposing it to laziness today. I dont agree with his point, but I most certainly think you're just meaning around or are so inundated with your own incredible leaps of logic that you
Somehow think he is supporting child labour. Indeed I don't even know if you're playing Devil's Advocate or really can't understand a simple argument.

"No, we're talking about 18th century munchkins! Because they definitely had video games, right?
Of course he is talking about the current time frame."

He seems to think otherwise, and since he isn't going to respond to my posts, that is what I am going with.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That's was Forger's reply to Party's point. So again, I don't know what youre rambling and babbling on about. If you can't keep pace with the shifting contexts in our discussion, don't even bother jumping in and making false claims.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

That's was Forger's reply to Party's point. So again, I don't know what youre rambling and babbling on about. If you can't keep pace with the shifting contexts in our discussion, don't even bother jumping in and making false claims.

Does it matter what he was responding to? He clearly says that we are not, in fact, talking about the dark ages. And since it was his post, he should probably know what he is talking about. Thus he was never talking about the dark ages.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Does it matter what he was responding to? He clearly says that we are not, in fact, talking about the dark ages. And since it was his post, he should probably know what he is talking about. Thus he was never talking about the dark ages.

Of course it matters. Because he was talking about a wholly different point. Also notice the pronoun "he"; Forger was talking about Party.

If you really can't comprehend that, don't even bother posting, because your posts are increasingly useless and obnoxious here.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Of course it matters. Because he was talking about a wholly different point. Also notice the pronoun "he"; Forger was talking about Party.

So? He still said it. Unless he was lying, are you calling him a Pinocchio?

If you really can't comprehend that, don't even bother posting, because your posts are increasingly useless and obnoxious here.

Sounds like you are insulting the person rather then the argument. Are you that desperate?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

So? He still said it. Unless he was lying, are you calling him a Pinocchio?

Course he did say it. Unfortunately he was talking about a different, different point, so why are you lumping it with an unrelated argument and then condemning him? Seems like very poor reasoning.

No, I am not insulting you, but criticizing your posts, which derail the thread. Frankly, if you consider that ad hominem, then this is no place for you, as you seem so bent on making a mountain out of an imaginary molehill.

Back to topic. Social media isn't altogether bad. It was one of the tools the protectors in Arab Sprjng used to band together and rally.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Course he did say it. Unfortunately he was talking about a different, different point, so why are you lumping it with an unrelated argument and then condemning him? Seems like very poor reasoning.

Well I am bored with this line of thought anyway. Want to drop it?

No, I am not insulting you, but criticizing your posts, which derail the thread. Frankly, if you consider that ad hominem, then this is no place for you, as you seem so bent on making a mountain out of an imaginary molehill.

It is almost as if I am...Mocking you or something. But why would I ever do that?

Back to topic. Social media isn't altogether bad. It was one of the tools the protectors in Arab Sprjng used to band together and rally.

Really? Well, not really. Please tell me, how many people in these poor nations have computer access? How can those few people with internet access who are willing to protest actually use said social interactions without being noticed by the government? After all, it is difficult to say "Revolution @ 8! Bring yr sign! W R Going to location X!" on a social network and not get noticed in real life...So...What did social networking do again?
Showing 31-45 of 127