ForumsThe TavernAge Difference.

36 19737
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I don't know if this has been discussed before. It's random, hence placing in The Tavern.

Age difference. What are your views on age difference and why is it so different in real life versus online?

Obviously there's different situations that will bring out different viewpoints. Where i am coming from is, age difference, romantically if usually frowned upon when you're younger - that is a 13 year old dating a 20 year old is usually viewed as wrong, but a 20 year old dating a 27 year old isn't. The reason i thought of this was actually the users of AG: As an active member i talk to numerous people. The age ranges from 13 to 30something [I think].

Now i get on very well with this young teens and older adults but in real life, i wouldn't be able to have a "friendship" as such with a young teen. Is it acceptable online because you don't have to be around them? If you were a parent, wouldn't you be worried your child was talking to someone several years younger/older? Final thought: Is it just me, or does it seem more acceptable for such a gap in age between friends on AG as opposed to a live chat room etc?

• 36 Replies
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Take your age, divide by 2, and add 7. That should be the youngest age you should date

if you do that for a 12 year old, you get 13 as the youngest.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Although it doesn't quite make sense if the age gets too young (a 6 y/o dating a 10 y/o? - you get the point)

oh duh thats what you meant by that.

sorry. i was confused.
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Although this is old (and I may of not been around when this took place), I have to say that this is one of the most important threads I've read on AG period. It frankly should be talked about more considering how many people meet online in various ways(and for various reasons)these days.

So apparently I joined this site when I was 11 (profile says 2008) along with my brother. We both liked playing flash games online and had made accounts on various websites which had them including this very place. The hidden gem of this site was the the forum, where we got quite engaged with the community. We connected with many others over similar interests (usually sports or music if you remember us both) and interesting topics within the forum that allowed us to express our own opinions on topics aside see others opinions in a very family friendly atmosphere. (Unlike most forums online about any topic these days)

For whatever reason, this place I've always found pretty unique. We all connected over a love of flash games initially but gradually grew out of insecurities while meeting others doing the very same thing despite their age. I happen to mostly befriend people who were around my age but also many who were much older than me. We connected because of our personalities and how we were as people, aside personal interests like I previously mentioned. I was even close with quite a few outstanding women (like the author of this thread along with several other others) who were nothing short of friendly and loving towards me during our friendship. I can say that about many males I met here also. Majority of the time they were older but treated me like a peer and highly valued me genuinely as their friend.

Perhaps I'm just a people person but I was really drawn to this community because of the people that were here and the ones I was grateful to know more personally. Many of which became close and invaluable friends as I grew up as a young man. I wouldn't be who I am without those experiences or people. I suppose in the moment now, I'm starting to remember some of you more because of the above. I hope life only went well for you and we'll get to talk again.

Back on subject however, I don't know if what I wrote applied to the question at all but I know AG was, and in some ways always will be a special place. I've been apart of only a few communities this unqiue. It seemed to blur the line between ages in my experience which is pretty amazing.

On the topic of dating, I've witnessed many dating online in various age gaps. It usually never ended well because of all the limitations online brings. They also progressively learned different sides of each other. Other times life happened me you grew apart and the list goes on. I do believe that adults should only date adults and not minors because that's the law in this country I live. (USA) It also feels right considering a teen is still very unaware of the world around them compared to an adult. Even such feelings as love and how it works are very different than those who grew into adults this having better knowledge despite their own personal experiences. Now like I previously mentioned, I've been in that position of a friendship both times in my life online. You may get super attached but it should be noticed that age should still play a factor. I believe also meeting such people in real life also is a good reality setter for anyone two who meey online me them want a relationship. I'd hope minors with minors and adults with adults.

Hope my two cents was something of note. I know I bumped an old thread haha which I apologise for.

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Whoops! Noticed I accidentally stated I was 11 when I joined this site instead of 14 I believe.

Showing 31-34 of 36