ForumsWEPRWest Nile Virus

18 8193
nnoaheec12
nnoaheec12
15 posts
Nomad

So, apparently there is this new virus that started in Texas, and has now spread to over 38 states. There are 47 reported deaths as of right now. Feel free to post anything about this.

• 18 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

you know every year thousands of people die from the common cold.

the thing whit these kind of things is, that it is only interesting if it gets out of hand.
untill then.. bah whatever.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

the thing whit these kind of things is, that it is only interesting if it gets out of hand

I don't know. I think the unknown element is kind of panicky.
Like with Swine Flu, when it was so unknown, no cure, it was pretty bad.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

the swine flu was getting out of hand in some places.
these new viruses and things like that happen all the time.
most of the time however are they harmless for humans. or fails the virus or bacteria to get any attention, and are our bodies strong enough to defeat it. and defend our body.

call me back when the 1st 300 have died =)

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Yeah, they start off as harmless but then spread.
Shouldn't the possibility of it be worrying from the beginning?

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

example:
remember the EHEC-bacteria. that holded grasp on europe in the summer of 2011?
still today we don't know what it was or were it actually came from.
except that it's family of the E.coli-bacteria.
it was gone as fast as it came.

sure some people died of it. but was it worth the hype?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

sure some people died of it. but was it worth the hype?

Ha, i laughed at that.
No i totally get where you're coming from. There's so many viruses that we're unaware off that don't even affect us. I'm just very iffy about these things, as i tend to catch them.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

It's just the media blowing something relatively normal way out of proportion. The news does these kinds of things quite often. I think that it's not a huge deal, and most of the people who die are either very old, or very young, meaning that their immune systems are still developing. People like this die from the common cold.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

call me back when the 1st 300 have died =)

I didn't think it was a big deal either. But then I found this.

Since 1999, more than 30,000 people in the United States have been reported as getting sick with West Nile virus.

Almost 13,000 of the individuals who have been reported as having West Nile virus since 1999 have been seriously ill, and more than 1,200 have died

The rest of the link doesn't relate to the topic at all. Just put there in case anyone wanted to know where the quotes came from.

So it's not a huge deal, but it's a much bigger problem than I realized.
[url=http://www.cdc.gov/features/StopMosquitoes/]

Theres also this [url=http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/Mapsactivity/surv&control11MapsAnybyState.htm]
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Okay... Something is wrong with my laptop. It's acting weird. I was going to finish by saying that I was really surprised at it's size in America. Oh, and the links where supposed to work.

shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Probably something with the food there or people from Mexico carrying the disease with them. Could be country to country affected now.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Probably something with the food there or people from Mexico carrying the disease with them. Could be country to country affected now.

Mosquitos from what I've read. Link.

... Mexico?

Anyway... The link says the first the virus was seen in America was in New York, and it spread to the rest of the U.S from there.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

So is the virus contained in US for now?

shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Really? If so, why have I never heard of this disease here in US?

Interesting rare virus...

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Really? If so, why have I never heard of this disease here in US?

I have no idea. I haven't heard much of it either.

So is the virus contained in US for now?

Nope. It's been all over. Africa, East Europe, West Asia, Australia. It should still be there, I don't think they would have been able to entirly get rid of it considering it's transfered through mosquitoes. It's only recently gotten to the U.S.

But it's not like theres any reason to worry about it much for now. It's not likly that a mosquitoe will carry the virus, or that it will pass it on, or that you'll die if you catch it.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I get like 30 Mossi bites a day here - thus, regardless of the extent of the threat, i will worry. Darn !

Showing 1-15 of 18