Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 7, '12 at 12:21am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

This seems like too much. You could probably cut the squat, power clean, calf raises and box jumps from your routine and you'd still be hitting legs hard.

It's largely an experimental routine at the moment. I'm probably going to be cutting the deadlift, as well as replacing the leg curl with some barbell exercise that targets the hamstrings. Everything else should be fine though. The back squat is sometimes dubbed the "king of all exercises," and the front squat has been said to "make a man out of you." I think the inclusion of both is fine, and I'd rather do them over leg press anyway. As for calf raises, it's just nice to have a few sets of isolated calf movements. And box jumps and power cleans...those are essential to what I'm striving for. It's ideal to do plyometrics two times a week, and since box jumps (and depth jumps) aren't weighted exercises (and therefore function more with cardio), cortisol shouldn't be too big of an issue in a case where I'm working out for too long. But even then, that entire routine can be done within 75 minutes.

Posted Sep 7, '12 at 9:08am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

I sprint but I don't know much about sprinting.
I do 3 or 4 sprints of 100m in 20 min.
I sprint for two main reasons:-
a) To lose weight.(I'm 90 kg with 6 feet height)
b) Adrenaline rush.

Posted Sep 7, '12 at 4:31pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Traps and biceps today. I'm getting better with shrugs, but my biceps got tired really early into the workout.

Shrugs:
315 - 8
315 - 8
315 - 8
275 - 10
275 - 10
275 - 10
225 - 15
225 - 12
225 - 12
225 - 10

For an exercise that only requires you to shrug, it's tiring. Especially if you use heavy weight and try to get into a high rep range.

Next time I do them I'll probably bump up the first three sets to 340 and the other ones around 15 pounds. Doing shrugs helps with deadlifts some, because you're holding the weight in standing position, so your body gets accustomed to holding heavier weight. It can also improve grip, but probably not as much for me since I use straps. I don't have a good grip.

I started biceps with some concentration curls, three sets of those, then moved on to standing curls. While doing standing curls my biceps stopped at 6 reps. Not sure why either. I wasn't using heavy weight, only the 35's (and 30's for concentration curls). I suppose the creatine is leaving in my body, I've been off of it for about two weeks.

But overall this was an easy day compared to the others. Doing biceps and traps doesn't take very long and isn't as exhausting as the other days.

Posted Sep 8, '12 at 9:18pm

Microe

Microe

864 posts

If you don't mind me saying, I'd suggest some more trap work. Exercises like shrugs and upright rows.

I do extra work twice a week on areas I lack, such as chest/traps/calves.

What's your workout schedule like? Do you take any supplements?

I ran Madcows 5x5 during my bulk and I am going to run it throughout my cut also, I

Posted Sep 8, '12 at 9:21pm

Microe

Microe

864 posts

Horrible double post but..

Traps and biceps today. I'm getting better with shrugs, but my biceps got tired really early into the workout.

I use wrist straps for later on in the workout when my forearms feel like jelly. Feel me?

Microe, you should definitely post progress pics of your cut as well.

Oh I definitely will!

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 6:38am

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,560 posts

I have had a strange disease in my knee a time ago (I believe 3 months). So now I have a kind of weak knee and haven't trained my lower body in a time. But now I have to do a full triathlon for gym class or else I won't be able to do my exams in May. I already said it but because it is inter scholar and I don't have the disease anymore so the doctor won't give a note I have to do it. But if I make it without to much pain I think I will start ?running? again.

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 6:34pm

Microe

Microe

864 posts

I have had a strange disease in my knee a time ago (I believe 3 months). So now I have a kind of weak knee and haven't trained my lower body in a time. But now I have to do a full triathlon for gym class or else I won't be able to do my exams in May. I already said it but because it is inter scholar and I don't have the disease anymore so the doctor won't give a note I have to do it. But if I make it without to much pain I think I will start ?running? again.

Excuses, I have Tendonitis in both elbows/knees and Arthiritis in both Elbows/Knees and it hasn't stopped me from ANYTHING I always find a way around.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 5:26am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

I'm not very knowledgeable on joint diseases, but I'd suggest dynamic stretching and slowly working your way up. Don't start running right away, first build some muscle in your lower body so it isn't as weak. And when you do run, take it slow. Start at a pace where you feel comfortable and stick with it until you're ready to increase the speed.

Well, I didn't workout Saturday or Sunday. I was kinda sore on Saturday, I think that was my body telling me to take a break. I don't want to overtrain, and Sunday is my mandatory rest day. I also don't think I'll be able to workout today; my sleep schedule is messed up and working out tired is no good. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it up today, so I'll start my routine tomorrow.

I'm thinking of changing up my exercises. Since I'm doing everything twice a week I think I should break down the exercises into parts. Such as when I do chest; instead of doing all the chest exercises I currently do, I'll do three of them, and increase the sets. That way I'll have more energy to do the second muscle on that day, which when I do chest it's shoulders. I'll also avoid overtraining, I think I've been overdoing it lately.

For example: 6 sets of bench press, 4 sets of [insert exercises], and 4 sets of [insert exercise] (then 8-10 sets of shoulders). Instead of how it currently is where I'm doing 5 sets of bench and 4 other exercises for 3 sets each, then shoulders.

I'm also considering making the first half of the week heavy days and second half rep days. Or fitting that formula into the exercises. Like on bench, since I'll be doing 6 sets I can make the first 3 heavy and last 3 reps.

Thoughts?

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 4:49pm

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,560 posts

Excuses, I have Tendonitis in both elbows/knees and Arthiritis in both Elbows/Knees and it hasn't stopped me from ANYTHING I always find a way around.

Wow, I'm sorry but I think it is different. I don't even know what I had, or have and I'm just walking again since 4 weeks.

And I know I now have to start strengthening my muscles again and raise my condition but my whole schedule I had is now messed up because im not able to do the workouts I'm used to and I can't do it as long (for now) as I used to.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 6:28pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Yeah, um, don't push it. It's been proven that certain leg exercises (namely squats) are actually beneficial for the knees, but that being said, an awkward motion or too heavy of a weight will not bode well for you. I suggest doing body weight work with squats and running lightly first. Slowly work your way up.