ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 11:01am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

It's probably from poor stretching and/or warming up.

A few weeks ago when I started incorporating squats I felt some pain in my hamstrings, instead of doing all the stretching and warming up I do now, I just went right into the exercise. It lasted for a few days and I even felt the pain when I was doing bench press, but went away once I started stretching more.

Before I go to the gym, I stretch at home for 10-20 minutes, then when I arrive at the gym I warmup with several exercises before continuing to my main workout.

For example, today's leg day: I'll do a lot of stretches specifically for my legs half an hour before I go to the gym, holding certain stretches for around a minute so I don't get cramps or anything later on. Once at the gym I'll warmup with some light weight on quad curls, hamstring curls, calve raises, leg press, and squat. That sounds like it'll pre-exhaust the muscles, but it won't if you're using light weight. I mean really light, half or more than half of the weight you'd usually start out with.

The purpose is to get the blood flowing and to ready the muscles for those exercises.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 12:04pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I do stretching and warm up sets. Mostly a series of dynamic stretches with a few static stretches. Yesterday, I did squats and lunges with the bar for a few sets, about five and ten reps each set, respectively. I guess I could've used heavier weight for the squat warm-ups.

I'm definitely going to incorporate foam rolling now though, especially for legs. Probably at the end of workouts.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 1:25pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

How can people let themselves go like that? I mean, if you have a condition or something that makes you fat, fine, but there's no excuse for most of these people.

People don't have to be in the gym everyday, but there should be some form of exercise and good nutrition to keep fit and healthy.

This is just pathetic.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 1:36pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

How can people let themselves go like that? I mean, if you have a condition or something that makes you fat, fine, but there's no excuse for most of these people.

There are several genetic factors that can predispose people to obesity. Yes, most of the time, whether genetic or not, it's controllable, but if you grew up eating a high excess of calories, chances are you'll become obese. And past a certain point, exercise just becomes painful.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 2:59pm

Devildogv6

Devildogv6

1 post

I would like to fitness again, but i had to stop :(

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 3:56pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Also, it certainly isn't excused from insults. I mean, I can understand if you're trying all you can to not be fat, but if you're using genetics as an excuse to be fat, that doesn't really make much sense.

I'm a decently skinny guy, so I've been trying ten pushups a day and another ten whenever I finish a chapter of a book (fortunately, I have to do a lot of reading this semester, so I imagine I'll get pretty sore). I don't really know what else I should try to not look quite as skimpy since it's hard to build any muscle for me. I have a pretty high metabolism. Any suggestions?
if you grew up eating a high excess of calories, chances are you'll become obese. And past a certain point, exercise just becomes painful.

... Crap.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 4:04pm

skydragon720

skydragon720

348 posts

i dont really work out or anything but for sports it is good to go over your routines

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 4:33pm

Microe

Microe

871 posts

I'm improving at a steady but nonetheless rapid rate on my squats. About ten pounds per week so far

Are you on steroids? The maximum I've ever increased is around 5lb's a weak. And that was on a strength program along with an increased caloric intake.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 7:13pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

I went to a different gym today to check things out, it's still by the same company, but I wanted to see if they had more stuff in the weight room. They didn't.

I did legs today:
Squats x 6
Leg curls x 4 - triple drop set for last set.
Hamstring leg press x 4 - triple drop set for last set.
Regular leg press x 4

Didn't do calves because there weren't any specific machines for them. I could've done them with a barbell or the leg press machine, but it doesn't matter. I hit legs again on Saturday, so I'll focus on calves.

Also, cottage cheese is great. I have a container of it and you get half a gram to a gram of fat with 13 grams of protein per serving.

Shoulders and traps tomorrow, gonna hit them hard with free weights.

Any suggestions?

Get some high protein foods and intake a moderate amount of fat. You want to get more calories than you currently are as well. Just search "how to bulk" on YouTube/Google. I don't have videos on hand, and they get more specific than I'm willing to.

I included some home exercises in the opening post. Those should help you.

You don't want to do pushups everyday though. Set a day where you do just that and do a lot of them in a few different positions. I think I also included a home exercise schedule in the OP.

I'd also invest in some whey protein so you don't have to eat so much (they have around 2 pounds of it at Walmart for 20 or so dollars). I currently have to eat a lot since I don't have any, and I must say, it's hard eating all this food. I'm not getting an excess amount of calories or fat, just high protein meals.

Posted Sep 19, '12 at 8:39pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I'm a decently skinny guy, so I've been trying ten pushups a day and another ten whenever I finish a chapter of a book (fortunately, I have to do a lot of reading this semester, so I imagine I'll get pretty sore). I don't really know what else I should try to not look quite as skimpy since it's hard to build any muscle for me. I have a pretty high metabolism. Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't do pushups every day. It's not so much overtraining as it is ineffective. Pushups are great exercises, but you're only targeting a few body parts. Instead, try to create a more versatile routine. I able was to put on weight quickly once I started working out with a set routine. In fact, in about ten weeks, I put on eight to ten pounds of lean mass, after not being able to put on any sort of weight no matter what I ate.

Are you on steroids? The maximum I've ever increased is around 5lb's a weak. And that was on a strength program along with an increased caloric intake.

Nope. I've only been training for about three months, and squats were a recent addition (about four weeks ago). In that way, I guess I still qualify as a beginner. There are other factors as well though. I lost a good deal of strength following a week long outdoor excursion where I ate very little protein (or food for that matter). I guess I've been able to regain that strength in a short period of time. Furthermore, my legs have always been pretty strong, so they might just be warming up to squats until I get fully used to them. I'm hoping to hit around 200 lbs for three sets of five by the end of October. (I'm at 165 at the moment.)