Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 28, '12 at 7:42pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Ran 6 miles yesterday. I felt fantastic afterwards but my hips are beginning to get sore. I also took a break from lifting today and will probably run a few miles tomorrow in addition to doing some arm exercises.

Posted Sep 29, '12 at 6:20pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Ran 3 miles today, but I don't feel very good. About to do some various barbell exercises for my arms. Tomorrow I'm planning on running 1 more time, but I'm eating lots of carbs today so I can reach at least 7 miles. Then I think I'll take a break from running for a week. Or 2. Lol.

Posted Sep 29, '12 at 6:30pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

I'm going to do deadlifts and squats in about an hour or two. Woke up kinda late today and just got done eating, so it's good to wait a little bit.

I'll do 6 sets each today and start out with deadlifts. I think that'll be better because if I were to do squats first then my legs would be tired. Deadlifts usually don't make my legs tired.

Posted Sep 29, '12 at 8:08pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

Deadlifts:
235 - 10
285 - 6
325 - 2
345 - attempt failed
315 - 2
295 - 8 (good song on the radio came on and pumped me up)

After the 295 for 8 set I got some pain in my left hamstring, so I stopped the workout.

So, everything this week looks good except for Saturday. I'm gonna probably make it an only deadlift day. I'll have to start using the cage for squats on leg day.

Anyone got anything to stop this pain in my hamstring? Like stretching techniques.

Posted Sep 29, '12 at 9:07pm

Graham

Graham

6,421 posts

This degenerated into a gym blog for you.

Posted Sep 29, '12 at 9:10pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

Well, here's a topic where you can talk about a wide range of topics relating to health and fitness. What you do when you workout, your gym experiences, when you started working out, how much you can lift, what you did today while working out/at the gym, etc.

Posted Sep 30, '12 at 1:53pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I lol'd.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 5:21pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

I was fortunate enough that someone volunteered to spot me.

Bench press x 6
Dumbbell press x 6
Dumbbell flies x 3
HS chest press x 3
Machine flies x 3
Machine chest press x 3

I felt so weak on all the exercises after bench press.

Bench press:
205 - 10
250 - 6
275 - 5
285 - 3
225 - 10
205 - 10

Dumbbell press:
70 - 8
70 - 8
70 - 8
60 - 10
60 - 10
60 - 10
Must've worn myself out with bench press, because a week or two ago I was able to get 80's for that amount of reps on the incline...

Dumbbell flies:
30 - 10
30 - 10
30 - 8
Kind of a new exercise for me, only done them once before, so I stayed light to get a feel for it.

HS chest press (not sure how much machine weighs by itself, but this is weight plates in total):
160 - 10
160 - 8
140 - 10

Machine flies:
120 - 10
120 - 10
120 - 8
So pathetic, when I've done 160+ for that amount of reps.

Machine chest press:
200 - 8
180 - 10
180 - 10
Again, disappointed, since I've been able to get 220-240 for 8-12 reps before.

Overall I think this is a sign that I should either take a break or ease up on the bench press.

A short break like 3-4 days or just going light on most exercise and decreasing the amount of sets. Ease up as in not as heavy and probably decreasing sets.

I really dislike how the weights are decreasing on the other exercises. I know people say to don't worry about the weights, but when I've been doing 20+ more pounds on those exercises and that suddenly drops, I get worried.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 5:01pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

Long time no see everyone!
So I decided to go for the (Indoor) Winter Track and Field and Spring (Boy's) Volleyball team! Should sound fine!

I was wondering has anyone ever was like jogging, (lightly) for maybe 5 minutes when your top right portion of your back starts hurting along with getting a cramp where you feel it in the right middle portion of your stomach? Is this normal? Should I go see a Doctor?

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 5:30pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

I was wondering has anyone ever was like jogging, (lightly) for maybe 5 minutes when your top right portion of your back starts hurting along with getting a cramp where you feel it in the right middle portion of your stomach? Is this normal?

It's probably from poor stretching/warming up. Before running/weightlifting/etc you'll want to do dynamic stretches and warm up properly so you don't get cramps or injuries. As for the stomach, probably the same, or you ate too much/drank something with a lot of sugar before you started running.

---

Back and biceps today, I redid my schedule because I was working triceps too much (they get worked when you do chest and shoulders, and I also had a triceps day) and didn't get enough rest.

I'm also making next week a deload week. Not a week of pure rest, but reducing the weight, number of sets, and reps. That way my muscles can rest/repair while still getting some stimulation. It's about time for a deload as well, I've been working out hard all of September. For most exercises I've been increasing the weight 10-20 pounds every week and maintaining 8-12 reps.

I'll approach this deload by decreasing the weight 20-40% and probably stay at 8 reps for a lot of the exercises. For example, bench press next week: I'll probably stay at 185 for 4 sets of 8. I could probably hit that for 12-15 all those sets, but that's not the purpose of the deload. I don't want to put too much stress on the muscles, just enough to give some stimulation.

New schedule:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest and triceps / Cardio
Tuesday - Back and biceps / Core
Wednesday - Legs / Cardio
Thursday - Shoulders and traps / Core
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Back and legs

I've been slacking on core and cardio all of September, so it's time to start doing them again. I'll try to do at least 20 minutes of cardio. As for core, that'll probably some time after I leave the gym. I usually get done working out 4:30-5pm, so around 8pm I'll do 20 or so minutes of core training. Just simple stuff like crunches and planks. You need a strong core for all compound lifts.

Two rest days because with the level of volume and intensity I incoporate into my workouts, I think it's fair.

Saturday is mostly going to be lower back and hamstring training. I consider those weak areas on my body. It'll mostly consist of traditional deadlifts, lower back extensions, hamstring curls (seated and lying), and I'll probably do some calve training. When I think my lower back and hamstrings can handle it, I'll do Romanian deadlifts alongside traditional ones.

I'm also going to keep the rep range of deadlifts in 2-6. I've been doing a lot of 8-12 sets the past few weeks and I don't think that's ideal for strength/power. My purpose for doing deadlifts is to strengthen my lower back and hamstrings, I don't need endurance. I'll also probably keep the weight this week between 250-300. I hurt my lower back and hamstring last week by doing a lot of reps with heavy weight. And on the deload week it'll probably be 200 pounds.

---

Today went as:
HS rows x 4 (hs = hammer strength, weight plate loaded machine)
Bent over rows x 4 (2 overhand and 2 underhand)
T-bar rows x 4 (2 overhand and 2 underhand)
Dumbbell rows x 4

Dumbbell curls x 4 (2 regular and 2 hammer)
Ez-bar curls x 6 (3 standing and 3 sitting)

---

I'm gonna get some chalk either today or tomorrow. I haven't used gloves in about 2 weeks in an effort to improve my grip and forearm strength, and I think chalk will help some more. It's also to decrease the chance of my grip slipping on exercises like bench press and deadlift.