Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 8:11pm

daleks

daleks

3,254 posts

Sorry for the double post here but Push ups on the ball. I do the 3rd one shown.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 8:18pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

But no, you would not tear anything, unless you did it wrong.

If you slip, it's possible. That is if you're using your hands. I'm just not a fan of unstable stuff, but if it works for you, go ahead.

I once saw a guy at the gym using two of those balls. One for his feet and one for his hands. It looked wobbly, that's why I don't like them.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 9:07pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

Okay from reading all of your helpful tips and links I have devised some sort of exercise program. Sorry GoM, but I liked your routine so I am going to copy it with things that fit me.

My schedule:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest and shoulders
Tuesday - Biceps and legs
Wednesday - Back and traps
Thursday - Triceps and shoulders
Friday - Legs and biceps
Saturday - Back and traps

So Sunday - Rest and fuel up.
Monday - Pushups, Planks hold them for periodic amounts of time, (Do I need more?)
Tuesday - Bicep curls with an electric guitar inside my hard case ;) Squats, Lunges, Stretching, Lying down and raising/holding my feet above ground?
Wednesday - Does doing the superman help your back? Also need some traps without any equipment?
Thursday - Anything without equipment?
Friday - Bicep curls with an electric guitar inside my hard case ;) Squats, Lunges, Stretching, Lying down and raising/holding my feet above ground?
Saturday - Anything without equipment?

The equipment I have is:
Pull up bar. Regular bar includes those handles for those special pullups.
Electric Guitar - 10 lb (est). (Not lifting it).
Electric Guitar Case (Empty) - 10 lb (est.) - Can lift it
Electric Guitar Case (Full) - 20 lb (Est.) - Can lift it.
A 125 or so lb guy ready to work out.

I can put heavier books into my case...like a dictionary or two alongside with guitar.

Do these links seem reliable?

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 10:58pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Do these links seem reliable?

Those are good plyometric exercises. You don't really need to do the pushup ones unless you wanna train to fight or play a sport that necessitates fast and powerful arm motions. Plyometrics are intense exercises though. I recommend doing them twice a week at most, with at least two days rest in between workouts. Short distance sprints can also be considered plyometrics.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 11:26pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Also, addressing the use of exercise balls... Yes, they're a little more "dangerous" their normal counterparts, but there are some benefits to them, like strengthening your stabilizer muscles or improving your balance and coordination. However, if you're only looking to build muscle, I don't think they're necessary. They're more appropriate for athletes who need the finesse.

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 11:02am

light_chaser

light_chaser

659 posts

I totally need to work out more...  o3o

but is there any way to do the stuff pullups work without using a pullup bar?  I don't trust mine, because last time I used it, (like 3 years ago.  I was little...) I had to use a chair to get on it, and I was doing a pullup, then it fell, and I almost broke my back on the chair.

not cool, pullup bar, not cool.

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 11:16am

skater_kid_who_pwns

skater_kid_who_pwns

4,313 posts

I live in America, so I don't really know what you guys are talking about.

*I'm using McDonald's WiFi right now!

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 2:30pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

but is there any way to do the stuff pullups work without using a pullup bar?  I don't trust mine, because last time I used it, (like 3 years ago.  I was little...) I had to use a chair to get on it, and I was doing a pullup, then it fell, and I almost broke my back on the chair.

not cool, pullup bar, not cool.

Do you have a nice soft tree branch? Well chances are you probably don't. Well if you have a small and stable tree branch, you could always wear gloves and start working out?

I live in America, so I don't really know what you guys are talking about.

*I'm using McDonald's WiFi right now!

Hehe...

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 2:58pm

light_chaser

light_chaser

659 posts

@Ace, Not really, the best tree I climb is a Bradford Pear tree, which has upward pointing branches...

the best thing I have is a old dead mimosa.

I am really, really short, and can't reach anything too tall.

any other suggestions?

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 3:09pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

Here are a few articles I found in ter est ing.

I have some videos that I found good...
VidEOS

Whichever works for you...(Note multiple links for both the articles and videos.)