Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 5:35pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I  was wondering has anyone ever was like jogging, (lightly) for maybe 5 minutes when your top right portion of your back starts hurting along with getting a cramp where you feel it in the right middle portion of your stomach? Is this normal? Should I go see a Doctor?

Don't run after eating. If you have a light snack, wait about 20 minutes. If you've had a lot to eat, like dinner, wait at least an hour. Going along with what Matrix said, make sure you do a lot of stretches or it'll get a lot worse. If you run every day without stretching, it'l progressively get worse and worse, perhaps to he point where your muscles won't expand any further and you have constant cramps.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 6:41pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Was looking at my schedule and thinking about the exercises and I want to mention something:

New schedule:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest and triceps / Cardio (push)
Tuesday - Back and biceps / Core (pull)
Wednesday - Legs / Cardio
Thursday - Shoulders and traps / Core (push)
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Back and legs (pull)

I'll have two push and two pull days for upper body.

So for example, my main focus on Mon will be chest/tri's, but I could also fit in a few sets of shoulders. Nothing serious, just like 4 sets of dumbbell shoulder press or something small like that.
And on shoulders/traps, I could fit in an exercise for chest and one for triceps, like dumbbell press and skull crushers. Keep it small to around 3-4 sets each, just enough for some stimulation, not a full workout. On Saturday when I'm focusing on lower back and hamstrings, I could also fit in curls and/or pull downs, seeing as I'm not doing that many pulling movements; will probably superset them with legs.

It'll ultimately depend how I feel, if I'm exhausted or feel like those areas are sore, I'll skip it.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 7:01pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

On Saturday when I'm focusing on lower back and hamstrings, I could also fit in curls and/or pull downs, seeing as I'm not doing that many pulling movements; will probably superset them with legs.

That's not a very efficient leg workout. Aren't supersets typically done with exercises that target similar sets of muscles? The curls are gonna sap your energy, and more likely than not, your lifts for the legs will suffer, regardless of whether or not they've been used.

I still say you're trying to do too much in a week. As somewhat of a veteran of bodybuilding, you just can't train the same way a beginner can. That being said, we all have our physiological idiosyncrasies, so if it works for you, by all means continue. Just don't be too surprised if you regress or plateau.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 7:30pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

That's not a very efficient leg workout.

Saturday is a day where I'm mainly focusing on deadlifts. Since I'm aiming for power and doing so few reps, I'll probably end up doing 10 sets of deadlifts.

Reposition my legs on leg press to target the hamstrings more, then the two machines for hamstrings. So probably 10-12 sets in all for legs. Wednesday is the day where I do mostly everything for legs; squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg press, hamstring curls, calve raises.

Aren't supersets typically done with exercises that target similar sets of muscles?

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlift … ersets.htm

The curls are gonna sap your energy, and more likely than not, your lifts for the legs will suffer, regardless of whether or not they've been used.

I'm testing things out. Depending how I feel, they'll either be supersetted or put at the end of the workout. It's not going to be a full bicep workout either, just one exercise for 3-4 sets.

I still say you're trying to do too much in a week.

I'd consider my past schedules too much, but I think this is the one. It looks great to me. Every muscle is getting hit once or twice a week. I actually wouldn't consider them "twice", the idea of adding in an exercise for shoulders on chest/tri's is to just get some stimulation there.

The shoulders are already getting worked through most of the chest exercises, I just want to do a quick 3/4 sets of an exercise specifically for them. It won't be heavy weight or anything, that's for the main shoulder day.

Let's say I do dumbbell shoulder presses after my main workout for Monday (chest/tri's), it'll be 3/4 sets of 30-40 pounds for 8 reps. Not what I usually do for the main shoulder day. On my main shoulder day I'm doing heavier weight, more exercises, and more reps. Same with the other push/pull days.

Saturday won't be the same as Tuesday. Let's say I do 80-100 pounds cable curls on Tuesday for 4 sets of 8-12 and 170 pounds lat pulldowns [...], on Saturday that'd be 50-60 pounds for only 8 reps on curls and 115 pounds for lat pulldowns. Nothing intense or high volume.

etc.

I have main days for the muscles, this is just adding a minor exercise with light weight and few reps for the muscle that's also being used that day.

Posted Oct 3, '12 at 5:17pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

The wheels are definitely getting stronger.

Squats:
205 - 6
225 - 6
225 - 6
250 - 6
275 - 4
225 - 6
*** to grass, and as with deadlifts I'm going to stick between a 2-6 rep range, even if I can get it for more reps, I don't want to wear myself out early on. I'll probably start doing that for bench press as well after my deload week (I consider the compound lifts strength training exercises, and everything else for toning).

Could've probably gotten 315 today, but I don't want to do it until I'm certain I can get it up.

Leg press:
430 - 15
520 - 12
610 - 10
Drop set - 520 - 6, 430 - 8, 340 - 10, 250 - 12, 160 - 15

Leg extensions x 4, drop set for last set
Lying hamstring curls x 4, drop set for last set
Calves x  6

Posted Oct 3, '12 at 5:22pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

With today being National Walk Day, I went for a walk. Nothing else.

Posted Oct 4, '12 at 6:59pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Shoulders and traps today, went to the gym without eating so I don't think I reached my full potential.

Barbell shoulder press x 5
Dumbbell shoulder press x 5
Side lateral raise x 4
Incline machine shoulder press x 4
Upright rows x 4
Shrugs x 6

Weight on barbell shoulder press and upright rows went up, while everything else was around the same.

Tomorrow is a rest day, then on Saturday I do lower back and hamstrings.

I should compose my deload week workout schedule tonight.

Posted Oct 4, '12 at 7:11pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Barbell shoulder press x 5
Dumbbell shoulder press x 5

Side lateral raise x 4
Incline machine shoulder press x 4
Upright rows x 4
Shrugs x 6

The bolded ones, especially if the barbell shoulder press is sitting, are pretty much the same. So you're doing nearly the same thing for fourteen sets. You should making the barbell one standing (if it's not already) and change the machine to an exercise that targets the posterior deltoids.

Posted Oct 4, '12 at 8:30pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

I'll probably do that after my deload week. As for rear delts, I only know of two exercises that I can do for them: You know the machine where you can do chest flies, it can be adjusted to work the rear delts. And rear delt dumbbell raises.

Posted Oct 4, '12 at 9:18pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I'll probably do that after my deload week. As for rear delts, I only know of two exercises that I can do for them: You know the machine where you can do chest flies, it can be adjusted to work the rear delts. And rear delt dumbbell raises.

I do the rear delt flies, but there are several. I'll be switching to a compound movement like these in one or two weeks.