ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 6, '12 at 7:23pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Arrived at the gym at 5:45pm, guy told me they close at 6pm, so I worked out at home.

Deadlifts:
250 - 4
260 - 4
280 - 4
300 - 1
320 - 1
340 - 1 (failed it last week, got it this week)
320 - 1
300 - 1
280 - 2
280 - 2
This is basically what I'm gonna start doing for deadlifts: heavier weight, less reps. Of course I could get all of those for 2-4 more reps (except the 340), but the point isn't to exhaust myself or build endurance. The point is to build strength.
This day was to get a feel for the heavy weights/low reps. After my deload week I'll most likely cut out anything under 280 into the working sets.

Barbell curls x 5
Couldn't do hamstrings and I didn't want to only do deadlifts, so I fit in some curls.

I'll be posting my deload schedule tomorrow and the regular schedule next Saturday or Sunday. I want to make sure it's good enough.

Posted Oct 6, '12 at 8:25pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

It's probably from poor stretching/warming up. Before running/weightlifting/etc you'll want to do dynamic stretches and warm up properly so you don't get cramps or injuries. As for the stomach, probably the same, or you ate too much/drank something with a lot of sugar before you started running.

I will try to stretch more before doing these things.

Don't run after eating. If you have a light snack, wait about 20 minutes. If you've had a lot to eat, like dinner, wait at least an hour. Going along with what Matrix said, make sure you do a lot of stretches or it'll get a lot worse. If you run every day without stretching, it'l progressively get worse and worse, perhaps to he point where your muscles won't expand any further and you have constant cramps.

Okay, I wanted to answer GoM's and your solutions to the stomach cramp. My stomach cramp has happened lots of times when I was young. (I stretched somewhat back then). Even when I didn't eat/drink anything for 1 hour to 3 hours. Nevertheless I would get the cramp.

Posted Oct 6, '12 at 8:37pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

My stomach cramp has happened lots of times when I was young. (I stretched somewhat back then). Even when I didn't eat/drink anything for 1 hour to 3 hours. Nevertheless I would get the cramp.

Then you're not being properly nourished. Try eating lots of fruits, dairies, and vegetables for a week and see if that helps. Grains and meats generally cause me to cramp up if I eat a lot even an entire day before running. Make sure you drink tons of water too. To make sure it isn't being caused b something else, I wouldn't eat any meats, grains, or snack foods for a week and I'd only drink water. Try to run at the end of the week and see if it helps. If it doesn't talk to your doctor.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 9:03pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

The schedule:

Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest/triceps / Cardio
Tuesday - Back/biceps / Core
Wednesday - Legs / Cardio
Thursday - Shoulders/traps / Core
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Back/legs

Same as last time, but want to keep track.

---

The exercises:

Chest/triceps:

A:
Flat bench press x 6
Flat dumbbell press x 4
Flat dumbbell flies x 4
Flat close grip bench press x 4
Skull crushers x 4
Cable push downs x 4

B:
Incline bench press x 6
Incline dumbbell press x 4
Incline dumbbell flies x 4
Incline close grip bench press x 4
Skull crushers x 4
Cable push downs x 4

Deload:
Flat bench press x 4
Flat dumbbell press x 4
Flat dumbbell flies x 4
Flat close grip bench press x 4
Skull crushers x 3
Cable push downs x 3

---

Back/biceps:

A:
Bent over rows x 6
T-bar rows x 6
Dumbbell rows x 4
Ez-bar curls x 4
Dumbbell curls x 4
Cable curls x 4

B:
Lat pulldowns x 6
Lat rows x 6
Dumbbell rows x 4
Barbell curls x 4
Dumbbell curls x 4
Cable curls x 4

Deload:
Bent over rows x 3
T-bar rows x 3
Lat pulldowns x 3
Lat rows x 3
Ez-bar curls x 4
Barbell curls x 4

---

Legs:

A:
Squats x 6
Leg press x 6
Leg extensions x 4
Hamstring curls x 4
Calves x 6

B:
Leg press x 6
Squats x 6
Hamstring curls x 4
Leg extensions x 4
Calves x 6

Deload:
Squats x 4
Leg press x 4
Leg extensions x 4
Hamstring curls x 4
Calves x 4

---

Shoulders/traps:

A:
Standing shoulder press x 6
Seated dumbbell shoulder press x 4
Lateral raise x 4
Rear delts x 4
Upright rows x 4
Shrugs x 6

B:
Seated dumbbell shoulder press x 6
Standing shoulder press x 4
Lateral raise x 4
Rear delts x 4
Upright rows x 4
Shrugs x 6

Deload:
Standing shoulder press x 4
Seated dumbbell shoulder press x 4
Lateral raise x 4
Rear delts x 4
Upright rows x 4
Shrugs x 6

---

Back/legs:

A:
Deadlifts x 8
Back extensions x 4
Leg press x 4
Hamstring curls x 6
Calves x 4

B:
Deadlifts x 8
Back extensions x 4
Hamstring curls x 4
Leg press x 6
Calves x 4

Deload:
Deadlifts x 4
Back extensions x 4
Hamstring curls x 4
Leg press x 4
Calves x 4

---

The deload exercises will be done this week. What A and B means is that I may or may not alternate every week/few weeks. Let's say I do A for chest/triceps next Monday (15th). I may do that again next time or change it to B, and so on.

The deload will also happen every 4-8 weeks. How I'm approaching this and future deload weeks will be by using less weight (20-50%, depends on the exercise), doing less reps (stick within 6-8, depends on the exerise), and resting longer in between sets.

I also didn't specify on many of the exercises. For example, squats. I have it down for 6 sets, I may do all back squats, all front squats, or mix them in together.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 9:29pm

PurpleSquishy

PurpleSquishy

154 posts

A thought: People buy a gym membership to a local gym and drive there, then run on a treadmill.? Why not just go for a walk/run.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 9:37pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

Then you're not being properly nourished. Try eating lots of fruits, dairies, and vegetables for a week and see if that helps. Grains and meats generally cause me to cramp up if I eat a lot even an entire day before running. Make sure you drink tons of water too. To make sure it isn't being caused b something else, I wouldn't eat any meats, grains, or snack foods for a week and I'd only drink water. Try to run at the end of the week and see if it helps. If it doesn't talk to your doctor.

Okay, I will go for more fruits, water, and vegetables, but believe me I get more than one daily serving of milk everyday. I will go and run then and inform what happens.

Not to toot my balloon, but since we moved we got access to a gym. Pretty nice standard things.

GoM, most of your posts regarding your schedule confuse me a lot. What exactly is a deload? A back extension? (That sounds painful)...? Wait, how about starting from the beginning? What exactly constitutes a rep?

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 10:08pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

What exactly is a deload?

Basically, a week where my muscles can rest and repair. You can take a whole week off or just do less things at the gym. I'm doing less things at the gym; less weight, reps, etc.
A back extension?

Strengthens lower back.
What exactly constitutes a rep?

How many times you can move the weight in an exercise; repetitions. For example, bench press: going down and up is 1 rep. Curls, curling up then going back down is 1 rep. Deadlifts, picking the weight all the way up is 1 rep. Pull ups, pulling yourself all the way up is 1 rep, etc.

So if someone tells you they did a set of pullups for 10 reps, that means they pulled themselves up 10 times.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 11:49pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

So if someone tells you they did a set of pullups for 10 reps, that means they pulled themselves up 10 times.

This is an ironic example. Where the **** are your pullups?

Posted Oct 8, '12 at 12:10am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Where the **** are your pullups?

I don't do things like pushups, pullups, dips, etc, unless I don't have access to weights. Usually when I do those before the workout with weights I can't lift as much, and I'm not able to do them after I'm done weight training because I've exhausted all my resources.

I've been thinking about incorporating some pullups though. Just 3-4 sets of 6-10 before my main back workout, like a warmup.

Posted Oct 8, '12 at 12:44am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I don't do things like pushups, pullups, dips, etc, unless I don't have access to weights.

Pushups are understandable, but pullups and dips, you're lifting your entire weight. Are you really able to do three sets of ten? Last time you estimated you were only able to do eight. And even if you can, why not put it after one or two of your back exercises? Or better yet, stick a dumbbell between your feet and do weighted ones. Pullups are way better than lat pulldowns.