Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 24, '12 at 8:18pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

When do you find it the earliest time to start working out? The teachers today acually press students that they need to go to the gym or they" will have a hard time with life."

Lets say Killersup is in 8th at the moment....

Posted Oct 24, '12 at 9:33pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Age? Well I started working out when I was 13, it's a big thing within my family. I guess if you want bigger muscles and more strength go ahead, but it is a tedious process and there are other things to consider than just going to the gym. I believe I explained in the opening post.

Posted Oct 24, '12 at 11:56pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

When do you find it the earliest time to start working out?

I didn't take it up until I was 14, near the beginning of my freshman year of high school... but I've known plenty of people who started much earlier.

Start when you're ready, and not a moment sooner!

Posted Oct 25, '12 at 1:06am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I suggest starting when you understand what it takes to get bigger and stronger. Just the basics. The sooner the better, but there's no rush. About three years ago, when I was around fourteen, I tried lifting for the first time. Did it for about two months, but I had no idea what I was doing. Despite being a beginner, I made little progress. This past summer, however, I started up again, this time taking a wiser, more flexible approach. I put on about ten pounds of lean muscle mass and dropped in body fat percentage after two months. You have to want it for yourself though and not because a few teachers have skewed perceptions of social interaction among students.

Posted Oct 25, '12 at 11:05am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Okay, my chest and triceps feel fine today, so I'm gonna go ahead and workout. I've had Friday as my rest day so that my whole body can rest before doing deadlifts. Doing overhead press/etc on Friday would probably hinder my deadlift because the core and lower back are important on that exercise.

Last time I did chest/shoulders/triceps was on Monday, so I should be fine. That's two whole days and some hours of no upper body pushing movements.

Posted Oct 25, '12 at 2:11pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Last night I realised I've been doing the overhead press incorrectly. I corrected it today. I've just been bringing it down to my eyes/nose, but today I went all the way down.

Overhead press:
100 - 10
115 - 8
115 - 8
100 - 10
I felt the difference today.

Front raise (dumbbells):
25 x 4 - 10

Rear delts (machine):
80 - 10
80 - 8
80 - 8
60 - 10

Flat dumbbell press:
70 - 10
80 - 10
80 - 10
80 - 7
Chest ran out of gas on that last set, because at first it felt like the others, but when I got to the 5th rep I started struggling.

Flat dumbbell flies:
35 x 4 - 10

Close grip bench press:
185 - 10
185 - 8
185 - 8
185 - 6

Cable push downs (v-bar)
120 x 4 - 12

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 7:21pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Rest day. Didn't really eat much today because my parents have yet to go grocery shopping, so I'm not sure how I'll do tomorrow.

Concluded I'm not doing enough lat/bicep exercises, so I'm going to decrease the amount of deadlifts I do to 6 (instead of 8) and add a lat and bicep exercise for 4 sets each; try to keep the reps 10-12 and keep the leg exercises as is.

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 7:28pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

When do you find it the earliest time to start working out?

I started going to the gym regular very recently, and it's nice to have that strength.

I've been running every day that I can since the beginning of 8th grade, and I haven't gained a pound since. I went from average looking to skeleton looking, because I was never a heavy eater, and I've always been pretty active, even outside exercise.

Lifting for 2 months, running for almost 4 years or so, and I have a pretty good body.

I know you're a little larger, killersup, so I'd recommend a lot of cardio. Heart disease is never good. So start now!

Posted Oct 27, '12 at 10:53am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

When I start cutting in January/February I'll have to run a lot, among other things. I think I'll be running half an hour every other day or something like that. When that time comes I'm gonna aim for 220 pounds (current bodyweight is 250). I think I looked best when I was 210, I wasn't ripped like Ogus or any of them when they're in competition form (I'd probably have to get down to 180-190 to look similar to that), but that's not a goal for me. I just want to get rid of excess fat while retaining as much muscle and strength and being able to build it back up quickly.

Posted Oct 27, '12 at 1:46pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

The deadlift is probably my favourite exercise right now, it just makes me feel so powerful.

Deadlift:
250 - 6
280 - 4
315 - 2
365 - 1
365 - 1
365 - 1
It's been increasing by around 10 pounds every week. When I did that first set of 365 I felt like I could've done more, it went up like nothing, but I don't want to overdo it. This way of deadlifting is working so no reason to change it. Only 40 more pounds till I reach my goal.

Lat rows (hammer strength, each arm):
100 - 10
100 - 8
90 - 10
90 - 8

Dumbbell curls (regular, standing):
35 - 10
35 - 10
35 - 8
30 - 10

Leg press (hamstrings):
450 - 15