ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 9, '12 at 8:52pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

You need to do much more than that. And yes, eat healthier and more to gain weight, that gives you a better chance at building muscle and not as much fat.

If all you have access to is bodyweight exercises, here's a decent home schedule:
Pushups and dips / core
Squats, lunges, and calve raises
Pullups / core
Rest one day. So that's three days of working out and one rest day then repeating. Don't do all those exercises in one day, it's meant to be pushups/etc Monday, then Tuesday for legs, Wednesday for pullups, Thursday rest, then repeat. Just example dates, you don't have to make it that.

How I'd set it up for a beginner:
Keep all exercises between 10-20 reps until you get stronger, and as for the sets
10 sets of pushups (wide for more chest), 5 sets of dips
10 sets of squats, 5 sets of lunges, 5 sets of calve raises
10 sets of pullups
And keep rest time between 30-60 seconds.

If you can't do pullups, aim for negatives on them. You don't necessarily need a pullup bar, just something that can replicate it, like a door, tree branch, or park stuff. What I mean by negative is jumping up so you're at the end position and slowly lower yourself.

Make sure to do ab/core exercises two-three times a week, those are important. Stuff like planks and crunches. Every other day/two days should be enough.

Of course there are probably more bodyweight exercises you can do, but those are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

Posted Nov 9, '12 at 8:55pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Oh, didn't give core exercise examples with the routine. Well here:
5 sets of planks, hold for 30-60 seconds each
5 sets of crunches, 10-20 reps until you get better at them

Posted Nov 10, '12 at 1:29pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Deadlifts:
250 - 5
280 - 3
320 - 1
375 x 3 - 1
**** yeah! I finally got it for 3 sets of 1. Next week I'll attempt 385. I'm sure I could've gotten that today (or more), but I don't want to increase the weight until I can get three solid sets for 1 rep.

Barbell curls:
75 - 10
85 - 10
95 - 8

Hammer curls:
35 - 10
30 x 2 - 10

Concentration curls:
20 x 3 - 10

Leg press (hamstrings):
500 - 12
680 - 10
730 x 2 - 10

Hamstring curls (lying):
85 - 8
105 - 5
105 - 4
85 - 10

Calves (standing):
240 x 4 - 8
Extended pause on the last rep, 20-30 seconds

Posted Nov 12, '12 at 2:07pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Felt weak today, probably because of poor nutrition yesterday. All I had to eat was a bowl of cereal and a sandwich. Has to be the reason, because I don't think I'm overtraining or anything.
I do these once a week: chest, shoulders, biceps, traps, and lats. And these twice: legs and triceps (triceps is accessory work on chest and shoulder days, and the second time I do legs it's for hamstring work). Everything is also within an appropriate set/rep range.

If my other workouts this week lack then I'll have to assume it's because I've been deadlifting too much. I pretty much increase the weight every week on it. Oh, and I probably won't be able to deadlift this week anyway, I tore a callus on my hand, that needs time to heal.
The back extension machine reappeared, so I'll substitute deadlifts this week with that, so my lower back can get some work.

Flat bench press:
225 - 8
225 - 8
225 - 6
205 - 8

Incline dumbbell press:
70 - 8
70 - 7
60 - 10
60 - 8

Flat dumbbell flyes:
35 x 4 - 10

Incline dumbbell flyes:
35 x 4 - 10

Dips (bodyweight, 250):

Skullcrushers (seated):
80 x 3 - 10

Cable pushdowns:
120 x 3 - 10
Starting to include dips into my routine, so I'm going to have to use lighter weight on this. I tried starting out with the usual 140, but that was too difficult.

Posted Nov 13, '12 at 1:35pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Yeah, I'm sure it's because of the poor nutrition, but I'll see next Monday when I do chest again, I'll just have to make sure I eat enough Sunday.
My workout today was great considering I have a torn callus. Note: I'm wearing gloves, so it doesn't hurt as much and I'm not making it worse.

Bent over rows:
160 - 10
170 - 8
180 - 8
190 - 6

Dumbbell rows:
90 x 4 - 8

Lat rows (cable):
145 x 4 - 10

Straight arm lat pulldowns:
55 x 2 - 10
40 x 2 - 12
I think I'm gonna have to replace these with another exercise, I feel them too much in my triceps. I'm using strict form and appropriate weight.

Face pulls:
80 - 15
100 - 12
120 - 10
140 - 8

Didn't do shrugs because of the torn callus, would've put too much stress on that area.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 6:40pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Got sick so I haven't worked out the rest of this week. I also haven't taken any creatine, but I'll start back up working out and creatine Monday. However my hand is fully healed, so I can get back to doing deadlifts.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 8:10pm

vilano

vilano

20 posts

Why do you take creatine? If you truly want to focus on "health and fitness" as this thread suggests, then taking performance enhancers completely destroys the purpose due to *possible* harmful side effects...plus it really is "cheating" for muscle gains.

I know you will come at me with your arguments and everybody's arguments who takes creatine that it's not a steroid and it's naturally created by your body...etc, etc, no side effects if you drink proper amounts of water etc. With my logic why eat anything with protein since it's also "cheating" right?

Well the fact is that protein is a nutrient your body needs and cannot produce, therefore eating protein is essential for a healthy life, and regulating how much protein you take according to your goals/lifestyle is fine. (I am not referring to protein shakes/ powders, but foods containing protein).

Creatine however is naturally created in your body and taking supplements (creatine monohydrate in your case) to enhance it is like taking steroids to enhance testosterone levels. Also it is really a "fake" way to make yourself look more ideal as all it does is retain the water in your muscles...you are distorting your real figure.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 9:01pm

vilano

vilano

20 posts

Why do you take creatine? It seems like if you really are concerned about "health and fitness" as the thread suggests than taking performance enhancers completely destroys the purpose.

Unlike protein, creatine is naturally created in the body and taking supplements to enhance its production is like taking steroids to enhance testosterone levels. ( I am not saying you should take protein shakes/powders, just making a comparison).

Also taking creatine to get muscle gains is literally cheating, you are fooling yourself. The creatine just distorts your figure by retaining water in your muscles, and providing you with a boost to lift heavier. You are literally degrading the quality of your body in the long run. It's like taking anti-biotics if you aren't sick...eventually your body will limit its anti-body production and if you stop taking those antibiotics you will get sick.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 9:03pm

vilano

vilano

20 posts

Sorry for the double post but my browser appeared to have a bug and didn't display the original post...sigh...I just rewrote this for no reason lol.

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 9:16pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,419 posts

Knight

my browser appeared to have a bug and didn't display the original post

Your browser isn't the issue. You often have to hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) the page for recent posts to show up. It's a site error rather than a browser error.