Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 3:44pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

434 posts

You're doing Romanian deadlifts with tendinitis? Oh lawdy.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 3:49pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

It felt fine, no discomfort at all. It also wasn't a lot of weight. I could've done at least 50 more pounds for a working set, but I was just getting the form down.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 4:00pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

434 posts

That's not the issue. If you're deadlifting with a weight significantly higher than you can curl, you have an increased risk for a tear or tendinitis. It'll usually happen the second your form is off base. And matters are only made worse when you already have an inflamed tendon.

It's not a good idea to be doing exercises involving significant forearm strength right now (even if the forearms are working purely as isometric stabilizers).

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 4:02pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

True, I'll cut them out until the doctor says otherwise. I just wanted to test them out today since they're apparently a godly exercise for hamstrings.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 3:49pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

400 calories burnt on treadmill.

---

I saw the doctor today. He mentioned something about lateral/medial tendinitis(?) and said to get an x-ray this week. He moved my arms around into various positions and felt around my elbows, said it doesn't appear to be that serious, but to abstain from upper body training for another week or two depending on how I feel. He told me to get this cream called blue emu and apply it 3-4 times daily, I got it and am going to put it on soon.

He also said that once I start doing upper body training again to use light weights and move up at my own pace. I'm not sure whether to do my routine lifting for upper body or what, so I sent Jason a message regarding this.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 2:07pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

That blue emu stuff is great.

Reply from Jason:
I'm not an expert on this a phisio could tell you best how to do it. I would start with 50% of your normal weights on upper body lifts and add 10% a week to be safe.

The deadlifts should be fine as that doesn't put stress on those particular tendons.

---

Back squats:
225 - 8
280 - 4
280 x 3 - 3

Front squats:
185 x 2 - 5
185 x 2 - 4
185 - 3

Hamstring curls:
75 x 2 - 10
75 x 2 - 8
65 - 10

Standing calf raises:
200 - 12
200 x 2 - 10

400 calories burnt on treadmill.

---

Going to get the x-ray done in about twenty minutes.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 3:07pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

434 posts

I aspire to be like this guy, athletically speaking.

About seven more inches to go on my RVJ, and 250+ lbs on my squat. I'll try to do it within the next 2.5 years.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 4:29pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

They took three x-rays for each arm, said my doctor should have the results within 1-2 days.

---

Nice squat. The bar or plates must weigh more than 45 each, because if those were 45 pound plates and the bar was 45 that'd equal up to 425 (if those are 10s on each side as well).

But I'm curious about those knee sleeves, been seeing a few squat videos with people wearing them. May have to invest in those and elbow sleeves for when I start lifting heavier.

---

Now for my weight progress, I got back down to 250. On the 7th I weighed in at 255-257 (think it was because of all the liquids I drank during the two weeks I had the flu, maybe because of eating and being bedridden as well... real easy for me to gain weight if I do nothing), weighed myself this morning and I'm exactly 250. Scale could be over or under a pound though, the first time I weighed myself I was 251, then I did it again and was 250.

I've been following the template myfitnesspal gave me (except for protein, they have it too low); 2160 calories, 297 carbs, 72 fat, 92 protein. I try to get as close as possible on those except for protein, usually getting 2100-2200 calories, 290-310 carbs, 60-70 fat, and 120-150 protein.

Anything I should change? I'm not sure how accurate myfitnesspal is regarding this. I've read that I should get more protein, but it's impossible with food. I may have to buy a protein powder.

I have it set to lose 2lbs per week, if I don't change anything I should be ~245 by February. If I'm not then the way they have my calories and macros set up isn't working.

In terms of energy and how I feel, I feel more energetic and generally great. I don't feel hungry that often, no random tiredness, or anything bad.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 6:40pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

434 posts

Nice squat. The bar or plates must weigh more than 45 each, because if those were 45 pound plates and the bar was 45 that'd equal up to 425 (if those are 10s on each side as well).

Count again. There are five plates on each side (I'm talking about the last squat in the video), along with a 2.5.

I've been following the template myfitnesspal gave me (except for protein, they have it too low); 2160 calories, 297 carbs, 72 fat, 92 protein. I try to get as close as possible on those except for protein, usually getting 2100-2200 calories, 290-310 carbs, 60-70 fat, and 120-150 protein.

Up your protein to around 180-200, lower your fats about 10 g, and change your carbs accordingly. Run that for a week. If you feel enervated, then revert to your original macros. You should typically be eating more protein on a cut than on a bulk, but that looks quite difficult given your caloric needs in comparison to your weight.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 6:59pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,683 posts

Knight

Oh, didn't watch the whole video last time. Just saw "500lb squat" in the title and assumed it was the first one.

and change your carbs accordingly.

How much should it be? I don't know how to calculate this.

Yes, it's difficult to get that much protein with food currently, but I'll look for some protein powders tomorrow. I have around $60, should be able to find an affordable one.