ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 4:48pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Sorry. Ignore that. Corrected post:

So I shouldn't run? Then how do I become looking like the sprinter? I thought that if you ran a lot you would look like him?

The thing about running (or any form of cardio for that matter): when you run, you burn calories, the more you run, the more calories you burn. In order to gain weight and put on muscle mass, you usually need to eat an excess of calories relative to your maintenance level. This is why long distance runners tend to look skinnier. (Look at Ezekiel Kemboi, for example, who won the 3000m steeplechase in the Olympics this year.) That said, running is great for building endurance and cardiovascular health, but if you want to build muscle AND run, you're going to have to compensate by eating more. This is why Michael Phelps eats 10,000 calories a day.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 5:53pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

but if you want to build muscle AND run, you're going to have to compensate by eating more. This is why Michael Phelps eats 10,000 calories a day.

So you are saying if I want to be able to be faster at running I should start eating more than usual and start going out for jogs more than usual? Like every day? (As long as feet don't hurt too bad?)

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 5:56pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

So you are saying if I want to be able to be faster at running I should start eating more than usual and start going out for jogs more than usual?

I think what he's saying is that if you don't want to end up incredibly skinny like in that photo you should increase your calorie intake. That is if you plan on running a lot.

But yes, running everyday will burn more fat than say three times a week. I still wouldn't recommend doing it for a long period of time. Muscle atrophy and all. 20-30 minutes seems like enough.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:09pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

I think what he's saying is that if you don't want to end up incredibly skinny like in that photo you should increase your calorie intake. That is if you plan on running a lot.

But yes, running everyday will burn more fat than say three times a week. I still wouldn't recommend doing it for a long period of time. Muscle atrophy and all. 20-30 minutes seems like enough.

But I still want to know how to get the Sprinter's body, not the marathon runner.
Should I increase my calorie intake and at the same time start doing long sprints around my neighborhood?

I'll look like I am crazy, but is it worth it?

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:13pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

Sprinters weightlift and probably do that plyometrics stuff, so you'll have to do that on top of sprinting. The video I linked, in the second one I think he demonstrated what to do.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:31pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

Sprinters weightlift and probably do that plyometrics stuff, so you'll have to do that on top of sprinting. The video I linked, in the second one I think he demonstrated what to do.

Which video was it exactly? I don't see it in the Fasting Twins one?

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:33pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

Posted on the previous page.
I think that one is mostly about form. In part two he actually sprints and further explains.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:40pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

Posted on the previous page.
I think that one is mostly about form. In part two he actually sprints and further explains.

I now realize that I don't want to do that? I just want to be able to beat the offender in soccer and to do that I need to be fast enough with my feet? Also not to mention it is extremely confusing looking. I am not looking into getting track since I am not fast enough for that.
All, I really want is endurance and speed. While a muscle in my upper body here and there for the ladies.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 6:53pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

Sprinting increases speed. Simply running will increase endurance.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 7:18pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

782 posts

Sprinting increases speed. Simply running will increase endurance.

Wow that's really simplified thank you. Should I take creatine with just running? Or will my upper body turn into goo?