ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 7:21pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Well, it would give you more energy and generally improve performance, but I don't think you'd want that extra water weight if you want speed. I personally wouldn't take it if I was training for speed, I'd just take it for weightlifting.

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 7:42pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Wow that's really simplified thank you. Should I take creatine with just running? Or will my upper body turn into goo?

Depends on what kind of running you want to do. For "endurance" running, no, creatine will have no effect. However, for sprinting or plyometrics, it will improve performance slightly. Here's an abstract if you'd like to read a little more about how this was tested.

I just want to be able to beat the offender in soccer and to do that I need to be fast enough with my feet?

I think what you're looking for is explosive power, which can be achieved through plyometrics (which can include sprint training) and lifting for the legs. You may also want to consider some agility drills, which will improve your ability to accelerate and decelerate, change directions while running, and beat the offender. I'm sure there are some soccer-specific drills, but here are a few basic ones:

Cone drill (change up the cone formation if you want)
Speed ladder drills
Shuttle run

There are several others you can look up. Several plyometric exercises can also develop agility.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 3:44pm

42maelstrom

42maelstrom

116 posts

Wow that's amazing! I am extremely jealous of you...
So do you do marathons and runs?

Thanks! Um the longest distance I've ever run is only 8 miles. I'm only 14, I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to enter a marathon... I was thinking of running a Half but I never got around to it. Mostly I just do 5k races for the high school Cross Country season and then 800, 1600, 400, for high school track and field.

Another question: I just got my right leg out of a cast I had for a month and now my right leg calf muscle is GONE. Really. I'll show a picture. My left calf is 12.5cm circumference and my right calf is 11.5cm circumference. What do you reccomend to build back that muscle? I'll probably ask for my coach's advice too but... just wondering what you have to say. Also thought you fitness people might find this an interesting phenomenon!

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w503/soccerdude2/578908_368882999849937_2100804387_n.jpg

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 3:55pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Another question: I just got my right leg out of a cast I had for a month and now my right leg calf muscle is GONE. Really. I'll show a picture. My left calf is 12.5cm circumference and my right calf is 11.5cm circumference. What do you reccomend to build back that muscle? I'll probably ask for my coach's advice too but... just wondering what you have to say. Also thought you fitness people might find this an interesting phenomenon!

Weighted calf raises. However, calves are arguably one of the hardest muscles to train cuz it's hard to put a lot of stress on them since they already undergo a great deal of tension from walking.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 6:21pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Lin, you're still here? Not meant in a negative way, but I thought this was the day you were driving to college or something.

But yes, calf raises will help. I'd avoid training the other one though, don't want to get any more unproportional.

Also, slight change in my gym schedule, previous:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest and shoulders
Tuesday - Biceps and legs
Wednesday - Back and traps
Thursday - Triceps and shoulders
Friday - Legs and biceps
Saturday - Back and traps

Updated:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Chest and shoulders
Tuesday - Biceps and traps
Wednesday - Back and legs
Thursday - Triceps and shoulders
Friday - Traps and biceps
Saturday - Legs and back

Thought it'd be better to do back and legs on the same day, considering that deadlifts also works part of the back. That'll be one of the first day exercises, then on the second one I'll do squats. Those will probably be my most difficult days.

What they say about doing heavier weight then doing the usual makes it feel lighter is true. While I was doing traps I started with 315 and worked my way down; 275 then 225. Felt way lighter than if I was to work up. I may have to start doing this on bench, deadlift, and squat as well.

Posted Aug 29, '12 at 5:36pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Did my deadlifts slower than last week.
225 - 6
275 - 4
275 - 4
300 - 2
300 - 2

Feels more effective with slower reps, it's also way harder. Had me out of breath after each set.

Then some back exercises mentioned in the opening post. Leg workout started with leg press:
405 - 12
405 - 10
405 - 8
405 - 8
Last set was special, and I'm going to be doing this with leg press from now on; I did a strip set.
Started with 405 and did 6 reps; dropped down to 315 and did 8 reps; dropped down to 225 and did 10 reps; dropped down to 135 and did 12 reps.

That gave an extremely good burn. But make sure you have one person on each side stripping the weight. You don't want to get up yourself and do it.

Posted Aug 30, '12 at 5:49pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Where did all the peeps go.

Anyway, another slight change in my schedule. Instead of triceps and shoulders on Thursdays I changed it to chest and triceps, however it's mostly triceps.

I started with close grip bench press and did that for 5 sets, then dumbbell press and some of the machines for chest, then some tricep exercises.

Overall it felt like an easy day.

Posted Aug 31, '12 at 10:50pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Huh, this must be what AMW folk feel like. Posting in their threads with new content, but only receiving views. It's kinda disappointing.

---

This is why you shouldn't stray from the two supplements I mentioned: creatine monohydrate and whey protein. Most of them don't work either. The documentary I linked a few pages back explains.

I actually haven't been taking creatine lately, not because of the video or anything like that, but because I'm trying to rely solely on my body and lose this water weight. I want to see my true stamina and strength, not the improved version caused by this powder. After a few weeks or so I may start taking it again, I'm not sure yet.

I couldn't workout at the gym today. I could've in my basement because I have a decent amount of equipment, but something came up and it took some of my time. Working out while tired sucks, so I skipped. It's not that important of a day either, it was supposed to be traps and biceps. A good thing about working muscles twice a week is that it's fine if you skip one because you had/have another day that week for it.

Tomorrow is an important day though; legs and back. Specifically starting with squats, a very difficult exercise. I've only seen a handful of people at the gym do them, and that's from the time I've started. It seems most people don't like doing them, but they're the best exercise for legs.

I think Saturday is the best day for those too. No school, which means not having to wake up really early and getting tired midday.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 6:07pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Oh yes, best day for them. I didn't get out of bed till noon and didn't go to the gym till 4pm. I did squats, it went well, better than I expected.

I hit 250 for 4 reps, could've probably gotten 275 for 1 rep, but I didn't want to try it. A few more weeks of these rigorous leg workouts and I should have more stamina and strength in them. I'm just aiming to get my legs stronger than my upper body, because currently my bench press is 290. I can't have my legs slacking.

Next week (starting Monday) is powerlifting week, where I'll be mostly aiming for power. Not on every exercise, but some that'll be worth it. Like bench press, deadlift, squat, leg press. I'll try to get in a 2-6 rep range with those. For everything else I'll be aiming for a 4-8 rep range.

This week I was mostly going for 8-12 reps. I think it'll work out well to alternate that every week. Surprise my muscles.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 11:09pm

XVERB

XVERB

2,467 posts

I kind of disagree with your thoughts on running.. but everything else sounds about right.  I run about 40 miles a week for cross country and I also lift weights on a regular basis.  If you stretch and treat your body properly running will not hurt you.  Humans are born to run, if it weren't for our ability to run great distances we wouldn't be alive.

so of my pr's

mile: 4:42
800m: 2:01
5K:   18:21