ForumsThe Tavern

[REQUESTED] Health and fitness

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 2, '12 at 4:13pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

I kind of disagree with your thoughts on running..

Well, I focused it around what I do; bodybuild and powerlift. If I were to run for say an hour or so everyday it would mess with my strength and muscle gains. It would make me lose fat more quickly, but in the process I'd lose strength and muscle. I don't want that.

Also, my point with that section was to not be a marathon runner. From what I've seen, most marathon runners are either skinnyfat or just plain fat. All most of them do is run, so that will cause muscle atrophy. But if you're an athlete, you shouldn't have a problem. Athletes should know that they have to eat more than usual with the rigorous training to keep their physiques and lift weights to increase power.

For example, football and sprinting. Football players need strong upper and lower bodies so they do well, and sprinters need strong legs. You don't get strength by simply running, you have to weight train for it.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 11:14am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Matrix, don't expect too much from the users of this forum. It isn't supposed to be geared towards health and fitness anyway.

Anyway, I returned from an outing of sorts yesterday. Ate no meat for like five days, and even now, I'm still in a major caloric deficit. I've noticed that I've leaned out a bit, but I've probably lost some muscle as well. I did go flatwater kayaking for like 40 miles in the span of three days though, so that provided a deltoid workout (albeit one for endurance). I'll post more later as I normalize my eating and gym habits.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 12:42pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Matrix, don't expect too much from the users of this forum. It isn't supposed to be geared towards health and fitness anyway.

I didn't have high expectations, but I thought at least some of the regulars would care about it.

Heavy bench press today went better than I expected, I reached my goals for the end of August (300 pound bench press and 225 for 10 reps):
250 - 4 (could've gotten 6, but I didn't want to exhaust myself)
275 - 2
295 - 1
300 - 1
225 - 10
225 - 10
Then I did all my other chest and shoulder exercises in the 4-8 rep range.

I didn't intend on doing 225, but as we were working out the manager lady told my dad he had to leave because he didn't have a membership. I've been going to this gym for years and they're going to bust my balls for bringing in one guest to spot me...

If that lady wouldn't have messed up our workout, I probably would've done 2 sets of 275 instead of 225. But I didn't have a spotter, so I wasn't going to risk getting stuck under the bar.

I'd say in at least two weeks I should have 315. On Thursday (chest and triceps) I may do incline bench press instead of close grip. Or incline close grip. I'm not sure, I usually just do flat close grip, but I've been doing that for a while now.

What do you recommend, Lin?

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 1:40pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I'd say in at least two weeks I should have 315. On Thursday (chest and triceps) I may do incline bench press instead of close grip. Or incline close grip. I'm not sure, I usually just do flat close grip, but I've been doing that for a while now.

Experiment, and if it doesn't feel right, revert.

Also, I'll be posting my tentative routine and supplements soon. My goals: getting bigger while staying lean, improving my vertical, speed, acceleration, and agility, and increasing lung capacity.

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 4:23pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Biceps and traps today. I just did 10 sets of shrugs after my biceps workout because I was tired. On Friday I'll be doing traps first with upright rows then shrugs.

Shrugs are getting easier. I've been raising the weight every time I do them. Such as today, I was able to do 275 for 10 while last week it was only for 6. After my first set of that I did 3 sets of 315 for 6-8 reps. Then I dropped down to 225 and aimed for 10-15 reps.

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 6:53pm

St0f

St0f

10 posts

I go to the gym 5 days a week, rest in the weekends.

Monday: Chest, abs, tricep
Tuesday: Shoulders and traps, abs
LEGDAY: LEGS
Thursday: bicep, back, lats
Friday: whatever i want + abs

30g micro-whey prot's 3 times a day.
Creatine monohydrate once a day, one scoop.
Jack3d pre-workout, love it, dat feel!
Omega3 pills, 3 of them in the morning.
Mega ZMA before i go to sleep, empty stomach, helps the muscles to fully rest. And works as a slight testo booster.

Avoiding most carbs as much as possible, current weight 76kg's, height is 178cm, close to no fat at all on my body.

Problem is my strenght. I can' feel any real gains! Help me out here :( I'm stronger than the most 18's iknw that works out, but still i wont get any stronger. Sure the muscles get bigger, but my strenght is still the same.
Why is that, anyone knows?

TL;DR -> Increasing muscle size but strenght always stays the same, help!

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 7:21pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Your strength plateaued, you've been doing the same things for a while, and/or you need to gain weight.

Depending on what you want to get stronger at, try powerlifting for a few weeks. Such as on bench press; if you're not seeing any increase in power then increase the weight to something you can do for 2-6 reps.

These have helped me:
Holds - where you simply hold the weight for 10-20 seconds.
Negatives - bring it down slowly and your spotter helps you bring it up. Repeat several times.
Drop sets - let's say you start at 225 pounds, you do that for some reps then drop down 20 pounds, and keep doing that until you get to around 145.
You can also apply these to other exercises, not just bench press.

Having the same routine for a while will work for some time, but eventually your muscles will get used to it. Surprise them by introducing some new exercises and mix up your current ones.

This may or may not be true, but I think if you want to get stronger you usually have to put on more weight. You're currently 170 pounds (if my math is correct), if I were you I'd want to get to 180-200. Don't get fat, just bulk up.

It's also possible that you may be training too much. When was the last time you had a deload week?

Also, about your schedule: I personally wouldn't do shoulders the day after chest, because on some chest exercises you're also using your shoulders. You don't want to overtrain, that's how you end up injured and you won't see much results.

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 9:14pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

I'm going to start P90x this weekend, and was wondering of you had any tips for a strenous workout. I'm 5'11" and 128 lbs, so I'm looking more to build muscle than burn any more weight. I might be going to bootcamp this summer, so I'm looking to get in good shape for that.

Plus I cant get to a gym, much less afford the membership. :/

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 9:58pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

I'm going to start P90x this weekend, and was wondering of you had any tips for a strenous workout.

Never heard of it. Will you explain what it is?

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 11:04pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Never heard of it. Will you explain what it is?

I'll try to explain, as I've considered it in the past.

Basically, it's an exercise regimen. It combines elements of weightlifting, yoga, martial arts, cardio, etc. to help you gain muscle and lose fat. I believe there's also an eating plan as well. It sorta revolves around the concept of "muscle confusion" so that you're always putting on muscle.

I mean, I haven't looked into the specifics of it, but it's an alright program. The whole muscle confusion thing is a bit misleading because, especially as a beginner, you won't be plateauing too quickly (the program is only 90 days anyway). So if you have some dumbbells, you can easily put on muscle without significantly altering your routine. From a cursory glance, I thought it seemed like an intense cardio program with some weight training. You'll get ripped as long as you stay on the program, but as far as building muscle's concerned, I honestly think you're better off devising your own routine. Excessive cardio will hinder your ability to build muscle. But then again, if you're mainly looking for that ripped look, or want to start improving your general athleticism, P90x is a solid program for beginners.

As for tips...well, get the adrenaline flowing. Try to pump yourself up in any way. I don't know how intense P90x is, but it's very possible that you could burn out, so you have to figure out a way to look forward to working out. It takes time and patience. Since you have several months until boot camp, you could perhaps start more slowly by taking more rests in between sets and exercises or doing only parts of it.