ForumsWEPRNYC and Chicago Shootings.

55 17919
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Well, we shared our thoughts on the "Batman" Shootings.

Chicago: lice say 13 people were shot and wounded in a 30-minute spate of violence in Chicago, including eight gunned down on a single street.

olice say a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday wounded seven men and one woman ranging in age from 14 to 20 years. Two of the victims were taken to Comer Children's Hospital. Most are in stable condition. Police say the 19-year-old woman wounded was shot in the arm while walking to work.

Five people were wounded in three other shootings around the same time.

Police say 19 people were shot in Chicago on Thursday night and early Friday.

Source.

NYC: Shots fired by a man who had been fired from his job (a year ago) - killed two people, once being his 'ex'-boss. The numbers of injured people shot may include accidental shots from the police. (Says Mayor Bloomberg in his statement). By. The. Police.

Views? Thoughts? Gun law arguments? Thoughts for the people affected?

• 55 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Btw Party, he's not from Albania.

his profile say's so.
i was confused tho. because in the other topic he talks about the usa as being his home country.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

btw if he's from usa then his point is unvalid. because guns are legal already.

AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

Just to clarify, fully automatic weapons have been banned in the united states for a while now (Of course you can still get them, if you have the money, but they have to have been built before a certain year). Your probably talking about semi-automatic weapons, which are mostly used for self defense and recreation.

Silly 314, thinking I don't know what I'm talking about.

hmm yea your albinian.

I dun lol'd. I'm not Albanian.

and why should it be a dozen of people?

Because you said a rampage. A rampage would generally refer to more than one or two bodies.

if not then i hope 1 of your close ones gets shot in the head.

Been there, done that.

or less harsh, someone should point 1 at you threading to shoot it.

I have had a gun pointed at me before, and quite frankly, I can think of scarier things. The gun doesn't scare me, the person on the other end does.

then you will be singing some steps lower on the topic. i can give you that.

It's more likely to send me to the gun store than the anti-gun rally. I'm more inclined to send one through them than try to take theirs away.

what is the sport in that?

Did I say sport? I said recreation. It's fun. Or does fun not exist in that liberal chicken**** place you call a country?

no need to aim. just hold trigger...

If a person just rocks and rolls with an automatic weapon, depending on what type, you're probably safer standing in front of the target than anywhere else.

This thread is about shootings, the amok/massacre kind of shooting.

You never said mass shootings, you only said shootings. Technically, any murder using a firearm is a shooting because the person getting murdered got shot. Also aggravated assaults involving firearms qualify as shootings.

Just saying.

they can cost half a million dollars.

Though most are in the 25-50k range. Also, with a pre-1986 receiver you can just get it converted for $200 + gun shop time.

his profile say's so.

My profile could also say that I'm 6'10" and related to spider man.

because guns are legal already.

Not legal enough. I can't buy post-1986 automatic weapons, can I?

There are some places that ban .50 rifles, despite such weapons being involved in less than a dozen cases in the past 50 years. Mind telling me how that makes sense?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Silly 314, thinking I don't know what I'm talking about.

Always best to assume you don't. After all, it was presumed you where Alabamian just a few minutes ago.

Though most are in the 25-50k range. Also, with a pre-1986 receiver you can just get it converted for $200 + gun shop time.

I was talking about a M134 General Electric Minigun, which you can buy for half a million. It costs about that much to fire for any length of time, as well.

Though I am not sure if that automatic thing counts as a legal modification....After all, you would still need the Class III and it would already have to be registered with the BATFE before the cutoff, so I am pretty sure that it would be illegal. Highly illegal, actually.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

You never said mass shootings, you only said shootings. Technically, any murder using a firearm is a shooting because the person getting murdered got shot. Also aggravated assaults involving firearms qualify as shootings.

Just saying.

You're right, technically. Now read the thread title and repeat that, smart-***.

Anyway... mass shootings involve legally purchased weapons, as the last examples showed. Why? Because they're not performed by criminals, but by regular people going amok. You could of course argue that the amount of victims is small compared to the overall gun murders. That's true; but those tend to go unnoticed, while massacres tend to stigmatize the population. So I wouldn't discard them as unimportant, so let's focus on them.

Everytime something like that happens, gun legislation becomes a hot topic again. Most arguments in favor of the current legislation turn around your holy right to possess firearms, for leisure and protection. I cannot really argue against that, even though I still don't like it. Fine, sell weapons to the populace. But massacres do show one thing: there is not enough control about the actual sales. Restriction is one thing, control another. I don't mean that you should go Big Brother on every gun sale, but isn't it a little suspicious when one person buys so many weapons/explosive merchandise? Wouldn't it make sense in such a case for the salesperson to have a way to contact the authorities to inform them about suspicious cases? Or do they refuse to risk decreasing their holy profit?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

But massacres do show one thing: there is not enough control about the actual sales. Restriction is one thing, control another. I don't mean that you should go Big Brother on every gun sale, but isn't it a little suspicious when one person buys so many weapons/explosive merchandise? Wouldn't it make sense in such a case for the salesperson to have a way to contact the authorities to inform them about suspicious cases? Or do they refuse to risk decreasing their holy profit?

They did notice, at least the gun club he applied to did. I am sure that the gun stores would have noticed, but from what I can tell he bought them from different sources. While someone buying 6,000 bullets and half a dozen guns at once might cause suspicion, someone buying a box of bullets wouldn't. You act like he just went into a random gun store and said "I need something that can kill a bunch of people. And enough bullets to take down Cathulu" and the clerk just nodded and said "Whatever". The stuff he did buy in bulk he bought of the internet, where they can hardly tell if he is sane or not, and it would seem like a normal order. He took several steps to not seem insane, because people WOULD notice if he didn't.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the buying ammo on the internet part. So, prohibit weapon/ammo sales via internet? Oh wait, that would make it impossible to buy any sword via internet too. How about just ammos then? *exhibits hypocritic smile*

If control doens't help, I suppose it means we're back on discussing restriction. Oh dear... I'm done here.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

what happened to the shooter is he in jail for life??????

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

His lawyer is pushing for insanity, and trying to find out what mental illnesses he has. If unsuccessful, he will be executed, probably. Otherwise he has three choices: Not Guilty (Death), Guilty (Life in prison, depending on plea deal), or Guilty But Insane (I don't know what the state law is on this, but probably life as well). He has not plead yet, we will have to see.
AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

Wouldn't it make sense in such a case for the salesperson to have a way to contact the authorities to inform them about suspicious cases?

Considering they already do background checks in most states, there is simply nothing a person can do to stop a previously law-abiding citizen from killing people with legal firearms. Complete and total prohibition would stop many, yes, but not all, compounded with the problem of illegally owned guns, which are in the vast majority, of which such legislation would have no effect.

but isn't it a little suspicious when one person buys so many weapons/explosive merchandise

Well, unless you propose you jail me for what I'm planning to buy for my 18th birthday, I'd go for "it really doesn't matter."

Of the amount of weapons legally purchased, even in quantity (not uncommon for people who might run gun clubs, etc.), very few will end up being used in crime by the original purchaser. That's not to say they won't be stolen and used in crime, as this is a very common problem, but taking something away from law abiding citizens because it might be obtained via theft by criminals is quite frankly absurd.

But massacres do show one thing: there is not enough control about the actual sales

No amount of background checks, insanity checks, waiting periods, or prohibitions will stop somebody from killing others if he wants to, especially in America. These people come in, are completely normal, and act like regular customers, and rarely buy weapons in bulk over one counter. If they want to kill people, they don't even need to buy the weapons, as you can pick any random house in America and it will probably contain a firearm.

So, prohibit weapon/ammo sales via internet? Oh wait, that would make it impossible to buy any sword via internet too. How about just ammos then? *exhibits hypocritic smile*

This isn't as practical, or good, of an idea as you think. Some calibers (.338, .416, .50, 5.7x28, .243, .500/.470/.375 nitro, etc.) you simply aren't likely to find at any random gun store. While some may have a dozen rounds, or a package of 20, if one was aiming for a long day at the range for some R&R shooting targets at long distances, then chances are they're going to be cut short by running out of ammo if their uncommon ammo type simply isn't available at their local gun store.

Not to mention more popular rounds, .223, 9mm, 12 gauge, etc., are available at gun stores by the tens of thousands and it isn't uncommon for somebody to come in and purchase a box of 440 or 880 at a time, sometimes multiple boxes. You would be surprised just how little ammo 1000 rounds really is.

He'll likely get life. In Texas they'd slap him with the needle and fast track him there, but alas, he's not here.
Showing 46-55 of 55