Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Jainism- Is it too much?

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 11:13pm

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

It is certainly excessive by our norms, but not by theirs. Not all Jains do this, most stop at the first few stages of their path; only ascetics go the full way.

Do you judge someone on their own norms, or by the norms of your culture? Last I checked, I judge people based on an American view.

While "most" of them stop there, many don't and become excessive with it. Or are they just to be ignored?

Posted Aug 27, '12 at 11:42pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

Do you judge someone on their own norms, or by the norms of your culture? Last I checked, I judge people based on an American view.

While "most" of them stop there, many don't and become excessive with it. Or are they just to be ignored?

I judge them by my own cultural views, and no I don't find it excessive. I've accepted much more excessive practices then this one. Body piercing, fire walking, or the infamous kowtowing journey for Buddhists. Not stepping on Joss sticks, not wearing certain types of clothes on certain days, a month long fast, not speaking certain words at any time. It's part of my culture.

As for those who carry on, no. My culture teaches me to be more open minded and accepting of such practices.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 12:00am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

I judge them by my own cultural views, and no I don't find it excessive. I've accepted much more excessive practices then this one. Body piercing, fire walking, or the infamous kowtowing journey for Buddhists. Not stepping on Joss sticks, not wearing certain types of clothes on certain days, a month long fast, not speaking certain words at any time. It's part of my culture.

Those are all temporary. Body piercings only hurt for so long, fire walking is just a trick. I don't know much about the kowtowing thing, but that sounds insane too. The difference with this is that it is only temporary, to an extent of the harmful effects, while the monks of this religion practice these excessive things every day, making them worse in that extent, yes?

I know that many religions have strange rituals, like in the west Catholics can't eat meat on Wednesdays and Jews can't eat pork and all that, but this is excessive to the extreme. I guess the only thing that I can think off off the top of my head that would be close in the west would be the Amish, and I think that they are excessive too.

As for those who carry on, no. My culture teaches me to be more open minded and accepting of such practices.

Being open minded and accepting is all well and good, but no progress can be made when things are not scrutinized and jabbed at. The practices are excessive, and there is no reason not to say such.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 12:07am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

Being open minded and accepting is all well and good, but no progress can be made when things are not scrutinized and jabbed at. The practices are excessive, and there is no reason not to say such.

I don't see how this puts Jains at a disadvantage. The core tenet of Jainism is to be open minded and pluralistic, to accept truth from anywhere. That is not excessive.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 12:22am

sensanaty

sensanaty

1,145 posts

It may be extreme to you, someone with a viewpoint from a western country, but for these men and women who practice all of this, it isn't. If you were to live somewhere in Asia for a little longer, you'd notice many strange things they do, many rituals that seem pointless to you. For example, in Bali (where I currently am living) they have a festival, or party, or anything of the sort every second day. Most of these have to do with their culture. One day of every year, they have a day where no sound is allowed to be produced, and no light may be seen on the streets. On this one day, the entire island of Bali becomes a ghost town. No one is allowed to exit their homes. To you, it may seem extreme. But not for these people.

You cannot say what is extreme or not, because everyone will think of something differently. Westerners think one thing, while Easterners think another about certain things. No one is right in this argument.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 12:36am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

I don't see how this puts Jains at a disadvantage. The core tenet of Jainism is to be open minded and pluralistic, to accept truth from anywhere. That is not excessive.

I am not saying that is excessive. I am saying the insane things that they do, like sweeping off their tracks to avoid stepping on bugs or not eating root vegetables is extreme. If they where truly open minded, wouldn't they have considered a better diet and that the life they live is filled with insane ceremonies?

It may be extreme to you, someone with a viewpoint from a western country, but for these men and women who practice all of this, it isn't. If you were to live somewhere in Asia for a little longer, you'd notice many strange things they do, many rituals that seem pointless to you. For example, in Bali (where I currently am living) they have a festival, or party, or anything of the sort every second day. Most of these have to do with their culture. One day of every year, they have a day where no sound is allowed to be produced, and no light may be seen on the streets. On this one day, the entire island of Bali becomes a ghost town. No one is allowed to exit their homes. To you, it may seem extreme. But not for these people.

You cannot say what is extreme or not, because everyone will think of something differently. Westerners think one thing, while Easterners think another about certain things. No one is right in this argumen

You judge people based on your culture, or you would not be able to judge them at all like you are doing. Hitler was bad in most people's views because he committed genocide, but the Nazis think he was good. I can say "Hitler was an evil man" and I will be correct, despite the fact that from a different cultural perspective he would be considered good. The fact that there are several perspectives on something does not mean you can't argue it.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 4:32am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

I am not saying that is excessive. I am saying the insane things that they do, like sweeping off their tracks to avoid stepping on bugs or not eating root vegetables is extreme. If they where truly open minded, wouldn't they have considered a better diet and that the life they live is filled with insane ceremonies?

Comes down to the argument Sens gave. Insane for you, not insane for the vast majority of Easterners. Conversely, we can say They are open minded enough to not eat animals, open minded enough to consider another diet compared to the "Normal" one.

Posted Aug 28, '12 at 7:16am

sensanaty

sensanaty

1,145 posts

You judge people based on your culture, or you would not be able to judge them at all like you are doing.

I judge people from multiple perspectives. Born in Eastern Europe, grew up in London and moved to Indonesia when I was 17. Now if someone asks me "Is this ritual called nyepi they perform in Bali too extreme? Is it really needed to not make a single noise, and not use electricity all day just because of some thousand year old tradition?" I will look at this question from the Balinese point of view rather than Serbian or Western point of view.

Regarding the Hitler part, many people loved him because he was charismatic, and he brought what he promised to the people. Even my grandfather, a rock hard communist respected him because of how he helped the German people. His latter actions were harsh and cruel, but he did not only do bad things. He saved Germany, and many Germans remember him by that, not by the holocaust.

Posted Aug 29, '12 at 10:19am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,236 posts

It must be difficult for someone to live their life like a paranoid man, in the other since, it will harm them in that way

Not all paranoia will harm a person.

Not ignored, but not classified as the majority. It's like saying Muslims are harmful because some are extremists.

I know that many religions have strange rituals, like in the west Catholics can't eat meat on Wednesdays

It's fridays, we're only supposed to eat fish if we choose to eat an animal. The Wednesday is only Ash Wednesday, before lent.

Personal opinion: Different, but not excessive. I can understand why they do what they do, and respect it. That said, it's not something i could do. The effort involved is beyond me.

Reply to Jainism- Is it too much?

You must be logged in to post a reply!