ForumsWEPRSmall step for man, but a large step for mankind

27 8091
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I'm truly surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet.
Well, Armstrong died, aged 82. The man who (supposedly) stepped on the moon!

Notice the supposedly. I did not bring this thread up to speak of how great a man/scientist/whatever you consider him. I, sensanaty, ask you, the denizens of AG, was it a hoax? Did this man truly step on the moon? If so, why are the other 2 crew members completely ignored by the general public, simply because they did not step on the moon first?

I honestly believe it is not a hoax. If it were, the Ruskies would be all over the place yelling "hoax, hoax". But, you don't see them doing that, do you?

Whatever the case, may he rest in peace.

• 27 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The camera was something i was unsure about too, but not in the whole "It was there before them", just about the positioning. I don't think it was a hoax. If it was, it would have been proven by now without a doubt.

me neither, as i stated in my 1st post.

"i fully believe armstrong (and his nearly unknown friend) did walk on the moon. but i do not believe that the 1st step as we know them are really the 1st steps."

meaning they were on the ground sooner to setup the camera.
and that we might have been looking at a live show that wasn't really live. but just a amazing show.

[quote]The TV camera was stowed in an instrument pallet in the LM descent stage. When Armstrong was at the top of the ladder, he pulled a lanyard to swing open the pallet, which was hinged at the bottom. The TV camera, which was attached to it, also swung down. Buzz Aldrin then switched on the camera from the LM cabin. The camera was pointing at the ladder of the LM so that TV pictures of Armstrong's initial steps on the Moon could be relayed to the world.

What do you think?[/quote]

could be.
but were on the ship is this pallet mounted?

if it's so. isn't it funny they used mere "strings" on such a advanced machine.
today it probably has to be electronic. what can fail and is more expensive. xD
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Basically. But Buzz Aldrin isn't really ignored by the general public..just not looked upon as highly as Neil.

Tis true. When buzz landed, he said something like,
"well, I bet no one will remember what the second man on the moon says."
Side note: I met buzz Aldrin and got his autograph. It was cool.
But no, I don't think it was fake. I think it's real. It's sad to hear Armstrong die.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The Mythbusters did pretty good job of debunking many of the moonlanding conspiracies.
http://mythbustersresults.com/nasa-moon-landing

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

honestly i never felt more stupid when i heard the knews that he died cause honestly i thought he died A LONG time ago

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

fun fact, Armstrong meant to say "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" but the a was inaudible because of the poor quality.

It is sad that he has died and that people still say it was a hoax, those people should stop lying about an American astronaut not doing what he said he did.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

It is sad that he has died and that people still say it was a hoax, those people should stop lying about an American astronaut not doing what he said he did.

does it matter he's american? it doesn't make him more special tbh.
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

I almost cried when I first saw this
You're not the only one.
Armstrong did step on the Moon, so did Aldrin, and the dozen or so other astronauts. I'm sure that this will spark much more discussion, but I have seen the Mythbusters episode on the Moon landing, and I was already convinced, and now am even more so. You can find segments of that episode on Youtube.
If it were, the Ruskies would be all over the place yelling "hoax, hoax". But, you don't see them doing that, do you?
Whatever the case, may he rest in peace.
Amen.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Wow, no conspiracy theories displayed even after 23 replies! This is due an applause!

What I find very disturbing about people calling this fake is how they can actually say so. They are calling one of the most important moments in human history a set-up, simply because they dislike Americans. I mean, I share no particular love for them either, but when it comes to this, I truly think there's no point in denying someone simply because you don't like the country they're from.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Bad week for Armstrongs. Someone check on Billie.

superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

The man who (supposedly) stepped on the moon!

what

aww im onna miss him
i did him for a book report
superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

Bad week for Armstrongs. Someone check on Billie.

lol i agree
first titles stripped from an amazing bike rider
then the man who sepped on the moon dies
hope billie's ok
ComradeWolf
ComradeWolf
358 posts
Nomad

was it a hoax?
No. There has been controversary ever since the moon landing, but all the theories that the moon landing had been faked have been disproven. Take for instance people making a an observation that the flag waved, as if blown by wind. The flag was constructed with metal framework, but the vibrations of the handlers caused it to ripple. This was proven by experiments later done in replicated conditions by NASA and a few other groups, one of the most notable being the television group the "Mythbusters."
other 2 crew members completely ignored by the general public, simply because they did not step on the moon first?

Im not American, but even in my country we are aware of the great contribution of all the members of that mission, and if anything Armstrong was actually had less attention then the other crew members due to his attitude towards media exposure, he preferred being reclusive. To answer the question thoroughly, I think the overall public (being the international community in general) does not ignore any of the members of the mission, or any monumental moment in space exploration, regardless of the nation/organization, person's involved or otherwise. But do certain groups or individuals get more media spotlight then others? Yes.
Showing 16-27 of 27